Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning the deck for new head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cleaning the deck for new head gaskets?

I have a 99ls1 block with the factory graphite gaskets, I am putting the 243 heads on this block with the 2001 up factory gm multi-layer gaskets.. the old heads had the diamond recessed into the heads requiring graphite type of factory gaskets, they left a mess, how would you clean the block surface,, should I put any type of copper coat on the multi-layers before I put them on?
Thank you for your time!!
Tinker
Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know of no quick way to clean the block deck - it requires time and patience. Put some rags in the cylinders to block debris. You can use razor blades to start but be careful not to gouge the surface. Plastic scrappers are also useful. For solvent I used brake cleaner.

Also getting coolant out of the bolt holes is very important to avoid cracking the block on reassembly. For that, I use twisted paper towel, but that does involve some risk because if the paper towel comes apart it can be difficult to remove.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman

Also getting coolant out of the bolt holes is very important to avoid cracking the block on reassembly. For that, I use twisted paper towel, but that does involve some risk because if the paper towel comes apart it can be difficult to remove.
Vacuum works well for that, plus rolling the block over on the stand so holes face the ground....gravity is your friend
Old 06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys,,,
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

I used the 3M roloc discs that are for aluminum attached to my air compressor. I know guys don't like them but getting those gaskets clean is a real pain. I had both sides done and clean enough to eat off in 15 minutes.

Make sure you cover any sensitive areas real well because it flings small particles everywhere.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to autozone and if you go to the section where they have rtv, permatex sells a gasket remover that comes in a can. I used 2 cans one for each side you just apply it to the head surface and wait about 20 mins and the gasket material just kind of brushes off with a scraper
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In the past I have actually used the green pot scrubbing pads from the kitchen to fine clean after scraping. They are not much different than the 3M pads.

I have a hardened steel scraper on the end of a screwdriver blade and use it slowly and carefully. Razor blades work well also for small spots.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I used the 3M roloc discs that are for aluminum attached to my air compressor. I know guys don't like them but getting those gaskets clean is a real pain. I had both sides done and clean enough to eat off in 15 minutes.

Make sure you cover any sensitive areas real well because it flings small particles everywhere.
I would be way to nervous to use the "quick" method on an aluminum block.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
I went to autozone and if you go to the section where they have rtv, permatex sells a gasket remover that comes in a can. I used 2 cans one for each side you just apply it to the head surface and wait about 20 mins and the gasket material just kind of brushes off with a scraper
This^^
Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
I would be way to nervous to use the "quick" method on an aluminum block.

The pads I used are made for aluminum. Two years later everything is fine. I know GM had a TSB for their techs using them awhile back but that was from the particles getting everywhere, I taped everything up I thought needed it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
thanks,, never thought about this stuff.. i think I have a can somewhere

Quick Reply: cleaning the deck for new head gaskets?