Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audible Knock coming from Water Pump area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Audible Knock coming from Water Pump area?

Anyone have something similar to this happen to them? One of my friends seems to think it may be one of the tensioners. The last time the water pump was off was about 10 months ago when I installed the C1 cam. This is the first time I have ever heard it. If you put your hand on the thermostat housing you can even feel the tapping.

Before I go tearing stuff off I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had this same thing happen to them. If so, what did it turn out to be?

Thanks!

Derrick
Old 05-07-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my tensioners is making a ticking noise at idle, but my cam has a rough idle and I believe that is causing it. Once it goes above idle the noise dissapears!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Mine is also at idle but it is definitely more of a knock than a tap if that makes any sense.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

(I'm probably the friend Pewter is talking about)

The knocking or taping didn't seem to be in time with the engine or belt. I offered to swap my tensioner mearly to rule it out. The sound could be heard and felt while resting your hand on the bolt going through the tensioner pulley. Pewter and I both agree that it seems to be something with the accessories.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the problem? An idler or tensioner pulley bearing probably would not make a knocking sound, but something more like the sound a mink makes when it gets its' foot caught in a trap. You'll be lucky if it is the water pump and not something more serious.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the problem? An idler or tensioner pulley bearing probably would not make a knocking sound, but something more like the sound a mink makes when it gets its' foot caught in a trap. You'll be lucky if it is the water pump and not something more serious.

Hey I have never heard a mink caught in a trap. I have heard a few possums, and all they do is hiss at you! Ha! Ugly little fellers too!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ttt..
Old 05-10-2004, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I had one but can't find it. What are you thinking it "might" be? I hope not a broken crank. That happened to my Jeep Cheorkee a few years ago and this sounds eerily similar. I’m pretending it doesn’t though.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

I lucked out! After further examination it turned out to be just the tensioner. A slightly shorter belt fixed the problem.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
I lucked out! After further examination it turned out to be just the tensioner. A slightly shorter belt fixed the problem.
A shorter belt only moves the tension to another spot in the tensioner, if that makes since. On the tensioner is two lines l l and an arrow, for the tensioner to operate in it's proper area the arrow needs to between the two lines. Bad tensioners can make a knocking noise just like a bad bearing in a WP.