Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo LQ4 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LQ4 F-Body

Firstly, I'd like to state that I am a n00b. I am genuinely seeking educated advice / personal opinions from you guys.

By TX2K15 I want an F-Body up and running; LQ4 and 4L80E with around 750-900 street able horsepower. The car will be a weekend toy for mainly highway roll racing. I am going off of information I have read from this forum and YouTube videos, but this is what I have come up with:

Junkyard 02+ LQ4 6.0
L92 Heads
TU1 Cam
ARP Head Studs
Jake's Stage 4 4L80E

As far as the single turbo, I don't know what specs would be compatable with the TU1 cam's revs, nor do I know if the TU1 cam is best suit for my hp goals.

What turbo, turbo kit, cam, intake, fuel delivery, other power and supporting mods are needed or recommended by you guys for my build?

I work 60 hours a week and will need to have a shop do the motor work/build such as LG Motorsports here in the Dallas area. I would like to know what parts I need before I dive into this. Thank you all in advance.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd talk to LG if that's where you plan on getting the work done. There's nothing more frustrating for a shop than to have a customer that says, "well I read on the Internet that..." LG has a lot of experience with the LS platforms and will likely provide better guidance than the majority of members on this forum.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget to add a rear end into the mix.

If your trying to get it ready by next year, then you need to move quickly..

Buy a complete shortblock from Thompson motorsports.. Have the shop installing it assemble the top end!

Get a Huron speed turbo kit, let them spec a cam and turbo for you.

The TU1 cam was designed for 346 CI ls1 with a 76mm turbo by speed inc, so you should get one specd for your Cubic inches, stall size, rear gears etc..

Have it all shipped to the shop, or leave a blank check and let them order everything..

Fuel system you need a double pumper setup (255 walbro) and I would recommend upgrading the stock lines to bigger AN steel braided lines (-8an feed, -6an return)

Throw 80lb injectors and a boost referenced FpR in their as well, with aftermarket fuel rails (speed inc, fast, nasty performance etc..) nasty's are the best

Transmission, get a trans cooler to go with the jakes 4l80, he sells a complete kit with all fittings for $200

Get a good turbo spec lockup converter (circle d, PTC, fti, etc) these can be $900-$1,300 and should be specd to your combo so try and spec the cam, gears, stall, engine, turbo all together if possible
Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS
I'd talk to LG if that's where you plan on getting the work done. There's nothing more frustrating for a shop than to have a customer that says, "well I read on the Internet that..." LG has a lot of experience with the LS platforms and will likely provide better guidance than the majority of members on this forum.
Yes this is true, this will easily be a 20k-30k build with labor and shipping and tuning..

Scary to think I've spent that much on a 98 camaro
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Burken01
Don't forget to add a rear end into the mix.

If your trying to get it ready by next year, then you need to move quickly..

Buy a complete shortblock from Thompson motorsports.. Have the shop installing it assemble the top end!

Get a Huron speed turbo kit, let them spec a cam and turbo for you.

The TU1 cam was designed for 346 CI ls1 with a 76mm turbo by speed inc, so you should get one specd for your Cubic inches, stall size, rear gears etc..

Have it all shipped to the shop, or leave a blank check and let them order everything..

Fuel system you need a double pumper setup (255 walbro) and I would recommend upgrading the stock lines to bigger AN steel braided lines (-8an feed, -6an return)

Throw 80lb injectors and a boost referenced FpR in their as well, with aftermarket fuel rails (speed inc, fast, nasty performance etc..) nasty's are the best

Transmission, get a trans cooler to go with the jakes 4l80, he sells a complete kit with all fittings for $200

Get a good turbo spec lockup converter (circle d, PTC, fti, etc) these can be $900-$1,300 and should be specd to your combo so try and spec the cam, gears, stall, engine, turbo all together if possible

Great info Burken, much appreciated. Would a Strange S60 be capable of holding that power? What rear end would you recommend?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSex95

Great info Burken, much appreciated. Would a Strange S60 be capable of holding that power? What rear end would you recommend?
Yes a s60 will handle that, I went with a moser 9" full spool 35 spline axles which is overkill for 700hp but I wanted something strong incase a year from now I decide to go bigger cubes and bigger turbo and hit 1000+hp, which I'm already planning to in my head as we speak lol
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Yes a s60 will handle that, I went with a moser 9" full spool 35 spline axles which is overkill for 700hp but I wanted something strong incase a year from now I decide to go bigger cubes and bigger turbo and hit 1000+hp, which I'm already planning to in my head as we speak lol
Do you have a build thread for your car? If so, I'd love to check it out.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have a build thread for your car? If so, I'd love to check it out.
Yes it's in my sig! It'll give you an idea of what all is involved!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Yes it's in my sig! It'll give you an idea of what all is involved!
Man.. I can't see your sig on my phone. I'll have to check it out as soon as I get home, I'll let you know when I do. I'll probably have more questions lol
Old 03-20-2014, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Man.. I can't see your sig on my phone. I'll have to check it out as soon as I get home, I'll let you know when I do. I'll probably have more questions lol
Google "iron 347 street machine" it'll pop up
Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Google "iron 347 street machine" it'll pop up
WOW!! Phenomenal build! What was your deciding factor on the 5.3 over the 6.0? I am aiming for the LQ4 route because of the practicality of the already tough 6.0 iron block. Would you recommend the 5.3 to anyone going for a 6.0 build? I'm trying to stay reasonably budgeted because I could easily overshoot a "budget" $/hp ratio. I wish I had the knowledge and tools to do this myself..
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Thompson Motorsports happens to be 30 minutes from me as well.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

I chose the 5.3 iron block since I had a forged rotating assembly from a prior ls6 shortblock I purchased from TSP..

Plus the turbo kit I bought was for a 347, so everything fit into place..

Quick Reply: Turbo LQ4 F-Body