Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Piston Selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Piston Selection

Well looking to order some new piston in a 3.903 bore but I have a few questions before I spend the money. They will be going in my stock LS1

I will be using my stock crank already grinded with matching clevite bearings, stock rods, 853 heads (ported) and will be using MLS head gaskets I already had pry gap welded in, & stock cam, stock ls1 intake, & some ebay long tubes

It will be N/A really maybe a mild cam in the future, ls6 intake, Mainly bolt ons

My 1st question is what is a safe +/- cc i can go?
Im looking to run 91 octane as that all New Mexico has to offer so around 12:1

2. 3.903 or 3.905 bore pistons?
I really want to stay with Wiseco pistons

3. Dome or flat top piston?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Also what spec should i be looking for on pistons if I plan on using stock rods?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Default Any thoughts on these

I found these on wiseco's catalog & I had a question on deck height? I heard i may have to have pistons milled down to clear? What is the stock deck height of a 1999 Camaro SS?
Attached Thumbnails Help With Piston Selection-wiseco-specs.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Default Dimond Pistons

I also found these Diamond pistons Looking at different selections, What you think?
Attached Thumbnails Help With Piston Selection-dimond-piston-specs.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

You'll have a 9.24 deck height.

Formula is deck height - piston compression height - rod length - (crankshaft stroke/2)

So 9.24-1.335-6.098-1.811= -.004 meaning the pistons will stick .004 above the deck and thats what the 9.244 number represents. 9.240+.004. The negative number justt indicates they stick out instead of being sunk in.

Your pistons will not need to be milled if I read your post correctly. These engines come from the factory with anywhere from .005-.009 with .006-.007 being avg from what ive seen on this board.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by intenseblue
You'll have a 9.24 deck height.

Formula is deck height - piston compression height - rod length - (crankshaft stroke/2)

So 9.24-1.335-6.098-1.811= -.004 meaning the pistons will stick .004 above the deck and thats what the 9.244 number represents. 9.240+.004. The negative number justt indicates they stick out instead of being sunk in.

Your pistons will not need to be milled if I read your post correctly. These engines come from the factory with anywhere from .005-.009 with .006-.007 being avg from what ive seen on this board.
Thanks Intenseblue Thats some good Info right there, Soo Now Choice of pistion is the matter. Ive heard good thing about Diamond & there pretty budget friendly but is 3.905 bore too much? I know my block can handle it, My machine shop gave me the okay but Should i max out my bore? Ive heard 99+ ls1 block can be bored a max of .007?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS Rider'z
Also what spec should i be looking for on pistons if I plan on using stock rods?
Could you be more specific... Stick with flat tops in the 2-4cc range. Closer to 2 the better. Bore size will make no difference that close together. If you could choose either of the two for the same piston id go 3.905. Only reason to not go as far is having more material for future rebuilds. If you get to the point to NEED a cleanup youll remove more than that ..002 anyways i would think. Performance increase would be next to nothing but even though tiny still provides compression increase and unshrouds valves but you might only to be able to see it on paper vs the dyno/track. Enough pennies make a dollar though haha. If it comes down to choice between one manufactures piston vs anothers though dont base it on a .002 larger bore.

The Diamonds are in the same class performance wise that I really like and that is they're lighter than stock pistons while the Wisecos are heavier. The Wiseco's have coated skirtsand a thinner ring packace that seems to be really nice. Alot of big names that have come in on xxx piston vs. yyy piston have pretty much agreed that theyre both nice but alot like the ring package of the wisecos and they need less clean up and deburring/finishing at the machine shop for installation.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

So with the diamond pistons I will be at a deck height of 0 if im correct
9.24-1.331-6.098-1.811= 0
Should I stick with a piston deck height of 0 also With the piston being lighter, will i run the issue of needing malory being added to my crank when having my rotating assembly balanced? Sorry for all the questions Being on a budget sucks lol
Old 04-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Could you be more specific... Stick with flat tops in the 2-4cc range. Closer to 2 the better. Bore size will make no difference that close together. If you could choose either of the two for the same piston id go 3.905. Only reason to not go as far is having more material for future rebuilds. If you get to the point to NEED a cleanup youll remove more than that ..002 anyways i would think. Performance increase would be next to nothing but even though tiny still provides compression increase and unshrouds valves but you might only to be able to see it on paper vs the dyno/track. Enough pennies make a dollar though haha. If it comes down to choice between one manufactures piston vs anothers though dont base it on a .002 larger bore.

The Diamonds are in the same class performance wise that I really like and that is they're lighter than stock pistons while the Wisecos are heavier.
Sorry you awnsered my question about the cc's The diamond do come in -2cc's & 0cc's also, Im considering the 0cc due to the fact my compression will be higher but its also 10g heavier.. Ill also have my heads milled down to bump it up too.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to mention the Wiseco's ring package is probably worth more than the .002 smaller bore holds back. Also, 99% of the time Diamond prices are without ring set included whereas the Wiseco sets do include them making them a lil cheaper or the same most of the time.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry you awnsered my question about the cc's The diamond do come in -2cc's & 0cc's also, Im considering the 0cc due to the fact my compression will be higher but its also 10g heavier.. Ill also have my heads milled down to bump it up too.
I'd get the 2cc for ptv clearance. You can mill plenty and still never have to worry whereas you couldnt with the 0cc
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

I'd get the 2cc for ptv clearance. You can mill plenty and still never have to worry whereas you couldnt with the 0cc
True true But I found a set of 0cc for around 510 shipped & diamond sells there ring set for 185 & 12 shipping for a total of 710.. But I called wiseco & they will make a custom set of there pistons in the 3.905 bore with everything in the -2cc for around 780.. Im thinking about the wiseco more & more now....
Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

I'd shoot for a 1.334 compression height if it were mine and keep the pistons out of the hole. That will give you a tighter quench which has its own benefits. Thats head gasket thickness- deck height which is how far out the deck the pistons are.

Id get the pistons I thought were better and if compression wasnt high enough, use a .040 head gasket vs stock, then mill heads for the rest in that order. Play with this for a little bit.
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php...be5d4b996fcb8e
Old 04-04-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

For a stock rod I think the Wisecos will be a better option by just a hair.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.coloradospeed.com/wiseco-...tlkb8cko3vtcs4
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd roll with the 3903 bore. The extra sleeve material offers piece of mind however I have a 98 car so the 99 should be a thicker sleeve. I run a forged Weisco -3.2cc. .005 OTH. AI Ported 806's milled .075 by AI. I opted for the Compstar 6.125 rods. .045 MLS gasket. My machine shop usually does a little piston cleanup work on the wrist pin journals and these Wiescos required nothing but ring gap adjustment. I'm happy with them.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

I'd shoot for a 1.334 compression height if it were mine and keep the pistons out of the hole. That will give you a tighter quench which has its own benefits. Thats head gasket thickness- deck height which is how far out the deck the pistons are.

Id get the pistons I thought were better and if compression wasnt high enough, use a .040 head gasket vs stock, then mill heads for the rest in that order. Play with this for a little bit.
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php...be5d4b996fcb8e
Hey thats awesome thanks for the help & Ill be ordering them this friday, & ill take plenty of pics of my build too. Thanks man for all the help.. Its always good to get second opinions, cause 700 is a good amount of cash for me but I just want to get it done right.. Ill be going the weisco most likely as I always used them in my Quads & dirtbikes with no problems..
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
I'd roll with the 3903 bore. The extra sleeve material offers piece of mind however I have a 98 car so the 99 should be a thicker sleeve. I run a forged Weisco -3.2cc. .005 OTH. AI Ported 806's milled .075 by AI. I opted for the Compstar 6.125 rods. .045 MLS gasket. My machine shop usually does a little piston cleanup work on the wrist pin journals and these Wiescos required nothing but ring gap adjustment. I'm happy with them.
Yea I feel you, but if worst comes to worst ill go the 6.0 iron block route & Ill have to check the thickness of my gaskets, I wish i could go with new rods & Yea Wiseco give me that good feeling inside lol..
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well looking to order some new piston in a 3.903 bore but I have a few questions before I spend the money. They will be going in my stock LS1

I will be using my stock crank already grinded with matching clevite bearings, stock rods, 853 heads (ported) and will be using MLS head gaskets I already had pry gap welded in, & stock cam, stock ls1 intake, & some ebay long tubes

It will be N/A really maybe a mild cam in the future, ls6 intake, Mainly bolt ons

My 1st question is what is a safe +/- cc i can go?
Im looking to run 91 octane as that all New Mexico has to offer so around 12:1

2. 3.903 or 3.905 bore pistons?
I really want to stay with Wiseco pistons

3. Dome or flat top piston?
Unless you have plans for N20 or one of those bolt ons is a turbo or supercharger it would probably make the most sence to just buy some stock replacement hypereutectic pistons. I'd spend the money on getting my stock rods rebuilt with some ARP rod bolts instead.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fry_
Unless you have plans for N20 or one of those bolt ons is a turbo or supercharger it would probably make the most sence to just buy some stock replacement hypereutectic pistons. I'd spend the money on getting my stock rods rebuilt with some ARP rod bolts instead.
Well I may Lightly boost it in the near future maybe 5 lbs but the thing is there around the same price.. You think because the machine shop has already honed my rods with matching oversized bearings I can have them install the arp bolts? They did it with the stock rod bolts too? or will they have to machined again?

Quick Reply: Help With Piston Selection