Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 balancer on 5.3 LM7

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 balancer on 5.3 LM7

Hey first time posting on ls1tech. I am helping a friend put a 5.3L LM7 into his 3rd gen f body. He got a front accessory kit off ebay for an LS1 that has an aftermarket SFI balancer, ARP balancer bolt and under drive pulley kit with accessories. I have already drilled and tapped the block for the alternator mount but I noticed that the balancer that came off the 5.3 was a press fit with no key way. The LS1 balancer he has does have a key way in it. Is this normal? Why the difference between the two engines?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The aftermarket balancer has the key way but a factory LS1 will not. Just install it with the correct amount of torque and all will be good. If the 5.3 crank is already cut for a key, you can use one but it's not required.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
The aftermarket balancer has the key way but a factory LS1 will not. Just install it with the correct amount of torque and all will be good. If the 5.3 crank is already cut for a key, you can use one but it's not required.
Thanks LS1MCSS for the reply! So the aftermarket balancer has timing marks on it. Is there a procedure out there to properly align it? I am assuming since the heads are off right now I can use my dial bridge get the piston to tdc. Put the balancer on and mark on the timing cover where 0* is and use that as reference to verify timing once the motor is together. Sound like a good plan or is there an easier/better way out there to accomplish this?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome aboard, I see your truck's coming along nicely! As far as locating the timing marks, GM never used a timing pointer on any LS engine so it really doesn't matter where you put yours. Just put it where it's easily visible thru all the accessories and belts using the method you stated. I built a pointer and used a degree tape on my LS Maverick...
Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to dig this up but I have been looking on and off for an adjustable pointer for one of these and cannot find one.

Does anyone have any recommendations on someone that has one?
Thanks,
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AFAIK, no one makes such a thing. I made mine from scratch. Since stock balancers aren't marked, nor "located" by keyway, placement of the timing tape and tab is best located to suit visibilty. Aftermarket stuff that is marked and/or keyed just needs a tab constructed...
Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I too am a little confused about these LS balancers. They appear to be lighter on one side because there are more holes drilled on one side. Common sense seems like they should be located at a certain point on the crank rotation. Are you supposed to just install and not worry about where the light side is located? Also I removed mine off a brand new LS3 crate motor, do I need to buy a new bolt before installing it? Thanks Much
Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fierofly
I too am a little confused about these LS balancers. They appear to be lighter on one side because there are more holes drilled on one side. Common sense seems like they should be located at a certain point on the crank rotation. Are you supposed to just install and not worry about where the light side is located? Also I removed mine off a brand new LS3 crate motor, do I need to buy a new bolt before installing it? Thanks Much
Ls1 crank pulley bolt is torque-to-yield. Pretty sure ls3 is the same.

Quick Reply: LS1 balancer on 5.3 LM7