Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F13 112 vs 114 cam gurus come in

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default F13 112 vs 114 cam gurus come in

hey guys, I obviously already have the f13 on a 114 but I had a couple questions for the cam gurus. First off I love the f13 it has nice manners and drives just how I thought it would and makes great power to boot. Mine is a 114+4 and the other would have been 112+4

My question is whats the real difference in terms of performance on the 2 lsa's? I'm having that "what if" moment on should I have gone to a 112lsa. Most guys with m6 choose that while a4's go 114 and I was wondering if I left a lot of torque on the table and screwed myself?

I originally went with the 114 because after riding in similarly cammed cars on 112's I really didnt like how much the car shook at lights especially with the a/c on. I daily drive my car everywhere so I wanted something comfortable that made great power and I feel like this delivers but I was wondering what the experts say. I was always under the impression that the 114 lsa would lower the overlap slightly but not really enough to affect power and would broaden the power band. Maybe make softer torque down low but nothing really noticeable in a race.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

bummp
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It's a pretty negligible change. The valve events change enough so that power probably comes on about 200RPM later and the difference in power is around 5-10HP. The added overlap and earlier closing point of the intake valve, creates more torque/power on the 112 in a narrower power band (albeit more violent in delivery). The 114 broadens the powerband, lowers the dynamic compression, and creates more low-speed vacuum to cruise nicer.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
It's a pretty negligible change. The valve events change enough so that power probably comes on about 200RPM later and the difference in power is around 5-10HP. The added overlap and earlier closing point of the intake valve, creates more torque/power on the 112 in a narrower power band (albeit more violent in delivery). The 114 broadens the powerband, lowers the dynamic compression, and creates more low-speed vacuum to cruise nicer.
Thanks Jake, thats what I figured. When I bought the cam i really didnt care about the 200rpm difference with the gears I have. So my understanding from the reply is that there really isnt much difference interms of overall power or speed, its just where and how it comes in.

Thanks for the replies hope you all are doing well up there in the panhandle with the recent weather. Been watching it on the news down here in the south and it looked pretty nasty
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Thanks, Bro.

I actually got flooded in that **** storm. So, I demoed my house a week and a half ago and now have contractors coming in to give me the assessment on what it will take to put it back together (no flood insurance... but my house is 4 FEET above the road and it flooded in a non-flood plain... wtf).

Good news is the T/A was up on jack stands and didn't get hurt. A few tools I had under the car did the backstroke tho, but nothing major. All my air tools were on my work bench and my trans, HID lights, and seats were all up in the air too.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

damn man that sounds harsh. did they just gut the place or bring it down completely? Most of south fl is in a "flood zone" even though we're 3 ft above sea level and they make us all have it... I understand why most people dont go for it as its crazy expensive. At least the t/a parts are all in good shape!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the f13 on a 114 Lsa and it has been very streetable. Don't see a point in switching. I have about 40k miles on my valve springs and cam so I'm planning on new valve springs just to be safe.

No Dyno since the six speed swap but I believe I'm making about 410whp cam only and worry free so I'm lovin it.

My mods are fast 78 intake, ported tb, pace setters to true duals, lid,
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I gutted it. Lol

But I'm not doing drywall. Hell with that. I don't know far above sea level I am. I just know the road that carries water to the retention pond is 4 feet below me.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I also have the f13 on a 114 Lsa and it has been very streetable. Don't see a point in switching. I have about 40k miles on my valve springs and cam so I'm planning on new valve springs just to be safe.

No Dyno since the six speed swap but I believe I'm making about 410whp cam only and worry free so I'm lovin it.

My mods are fast 78 intake, ported tb, pace setters to true duals, lid,
Nice I love mine i was just wondering if the valve events made the 2 cams different. But apparently they dont enough to really matter much in terms of the overall power.
Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I gutted it. Lol

But I'm not doing drywall. Hell with that. I don't know far above sea level I am. I just know the road that carries water to the retention pond is 4 feet below me.
What are you subbing in for the drywall? Sucks insurance wont help you on any of it....

Let me ask this last question. Say you stick the same cam in the same 2 cars with the same setup... Assuming perfect world would the lsa determine the winner or would it be just a drivers race
Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Driver's race.

One thing about the 114... even tho it's down on overlap, you can feed it more compression, and you'll get a flatter, wider torque curve that will equal the peak of the 112, but be over a wider RPM range.

I had toyed with going with a 115+2 on my 230/234 cam and running 12.1:1+ but decided to run less compression and more overlap (234/242 111), because of the high stall. I didn't need quite the wide powerband, but needed violent power that carried high.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it on a 112 LSA in my last car, it did everything well even with a choked exhaust. I'm considering again for my C5 or the streetsweeper HT. I had no bucking or surging or anything with it even with 3.42's out back. Damian made like 470 something RWHP with his on a 114 LSA

Quick Reply: F13 112 vs 114 cam gurus come in