Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiseco stroker piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014 | 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Default Wiseco stroker piston rings

Two things: First thing is I found Wisco's instructions to be very unclear. A diagram would help. The stroker pistons have a support ring for the oil control ring set. The instructions emphasis that the dimple be faced down. Apparently their idea of dimple is different than standard English language. A dimple is a depression. I called because it made no sense as it said it was to prevent the ring from turning to keep the ring gap from being over the wrist pin hole. The protrusion should be down and the dimple UP. That way it catches the sides of the wrist pin hole and limits ring travel. The tech said that was correct.

The second is I'd like to see if anybody has any tricks on installing the support ring, two scraper rings and the expander into the lower oil control groove. The scraper rings are a larger diameter than the groove and the expander seats itself tight into the groove. It's hard to sandwich the expander between the two control rings. The scraper rings want to ride over the top of the expander on the side that's pushed out. There must be some easier way.
Old 08-11-2014 | 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You got it. After you install the support ring ( dimple up), put on the expander ring and let it rest in the groove without overlapping.
Then, take one scraper ring, install it on top of the expander in the top groove first. Start the scraper's ring-gap approximately 1 inch to the left/right of the expander's ring gap. Then take the second scraper ring, and repeat the process on the lower portion of the expander ring.
The scraper rings ride on top of the expander and hold it in place.

The trick is to wrap the scraper rings on without using any force. Otherwise you'll pop one side out and overlap the expander.

Hope this make sense.
Old 08-11-2014 | 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks. I messed with one piston and got it installed in the bore. The expander overlaps itself a lot when off and I had a bit of a time getting the ends to butt.
Old 08-12-2014 | 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Got two pistons in and broke the third one's oil scraper 3mm iron rings. Called Wiseco to get some backup sets. They said the oil set was difficult. Looking at the OEM rings they are noticeably wider and when stacked up they are the same diameter making it easy to sandwich them. Back to it after a break from frustration. . .
Old 08-12-2014 | 07:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I too had problems getting the oil set in place. I took the pistons back to my machine shop guy and he got all the rings in place. He made it look easy, all fingers, no expander tool. He does it all the time, you & I, never.

Yes, the raised part of the dimple points down in the pin bore. The dimple stops at the piston preventing it from rotating around the piston.
Old 08-13-2014 | 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

It may have been cheaper. So far I've messed up three sets of oil scraper rings. They are so thing and fragile as well as difficult to sandwich in. I swear they made the oil groove a hair too thin as even when installed there is no movement to the rings as they are wedged in so hard. The top ones are easy
Old 08-13-2014 | 10:21 AM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by svede1212
It may have been cheaper. So far I've messed up three sets of oil scraper rings. They are so thing and fragile as well as difficult to sandwich in. I swear they made the oil groove a hair too thin as even when installed there is no movement to the rings as they are wedged in so hard. The top ones are easy
How are you messing them up? Is it when your actually putting the pistons in the bores and the rings are hanging up on the edge of the cylinder?
Old 08-13-2014 | 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by svede1212
Got two pistons in and broke the third one's oil scraper 3mm iron rings. Called Wiseco to get some backup sets. They said the oil set was difficult. Looking at the OEM rings they are noticeably wider and when stacked up they are the same diameter making it easy to sandwich them. Back to it after a break from frustration. . .
Hey Svede1212,
I have 3 sets of brand new oil rings if you want them.
I had problems gapping an entire set for my build, and purchased 4 brand new sets to start over. They're about $25 bucks each, if you want them, I'll mail them to you for nothing.

EDIT: I forgot about the bore size. Mine are for a 408, 4.030" bore.
Part number: 4032GFX
Old 08-13-2014 | 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Piston rings are fairly easy. If you're having this much trouble you should have someone else do it. If you mess them up installing them on the piston or into the block you can have some bad problems.
Old 08-13-2014 | 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Got them all in after receiving 3 extra sets today. The problem is the rings and expander are all so narrow (depth-wise) that they overlap. I finally figured out a way to put the pin bore support ring in and then one oil control rings. The expander had to be put lightly on and not fully inserted into the groove so the top oil control ring could gently lay on top and then both carefully fitted into the groove together. Happy to have that part done. I go the windage tray clearanced and now just have to decide on lifters so I can degree the cam.

Quick Reply: Wiseco stroker piston rings