Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 gaskets on oil pump and pickup tube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2 gaskets on oil pump and pickup tube?

Friend bought a LQ4 from a guy that said he "modded the oil pump". I pulled the pan and pickup tube and there is a o-ring in the oil pump and Also a rectangular gasket on the pickup tube.. Is this correct? I believe there should only be an o-ring... Just want

to double check.. See pics of what is on this as is
Old 10-11-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That green one used to be round..... There should only be one... Ever. If it's properly sized and installed there should be no issues.... Never reuse a pickup oring either.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exidous
That green one used to be round..... There should only be one... Ever. If it's properly sized and installed there should be no issues.... Never reuse a pickup oring either.
So I should toss the green one and leave the black one in there and I'm good to go?

Thanks for the response
Old 10-12-2015, 03:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither, You should replace the o-ring with a new one. So a search for which color you need. Each size is a different color. Black, green and blue I believe. Buy a new one of the right color and make absolutely sure you do not pinch it.....then rest easy you did it the right way.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a new one of the right color and make absolutely sure you do not pinch it.....then rest easy you did it the right way.
This, I can not stress this enough. I've done several of these and have always been successful except for my last engine. Pinched that SOB and had
low oil pressure at idle. Probably aerated the oil at higher RPM's as well.
On my current engine using the HP/HF Melling pump, I'd install/remove several time over using lot's of ARP Assembly lube while the engine's on the stand. That way I can make sure it's going to install nice and flush.
Major difference in pressure now that its installed correctly.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went to the dealership and they didn't have an option for color of o-ring -- they just gave me a Red O-ring and said "That's what is says it takes" for the year model engine
Old 10-13-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2 gaskets on oil pump and pickup tube?

In addition to what was said above, it looks like the previous owner was having problems with leakage, why else did he double up on the o-rings (or did he simply not see there was already an o-ring)...? You should probably take a closer look to see what/why.

Last edited by joecar; 10-13-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There should only be a single o-ring so whoever worked on it before must have messed that up. If my memory serves me correctly the current GM oil pump o-rings are light blue for the cars and red for the trucks. The red oil pump o-rings for the truck are physically larger than the light blue ones for the car. The only time I have run into other colored o-rings (black, green, ect) is with the Melling oil pumps or Fel-Pro front cover gasket kits.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Why even bother with o-ring? It looks like the sludge would have sealed it up just fine.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
There should only be a single o-ring so whoever worked on it before must have messed that up. If my memory serves me correctly the current GM oil pump o-rings are light blue for the cars and red for the trucks. The red oil pump o-rings for the truck are physically larger than the light blue ones for the car. The only time I have run into other colored o-rings (black, green, ect) is with the Melling oil pumps or Fel-Pro front cover gasket kits.
Kyle,

I got a blue o-ring with my C6 wet sump p/u tube and after a few test fittings, the blue coating wore off and it was red underneath...
Old 10-15-2015, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I just put an oil pump on my 2004 5.3 recently and the dealer o-ring is red. I have the same pickup tube as the op's. I am surprised the op had oil pressure with the Dual O-ring setup.

Quick Reply: 2 gaskets on oil pump and pickup tube?