Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans am turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am turbo build

I have a 2000 Trans Am I am looking to boost. I have Speed Pro h868cp25mm pistons already. I'm leaning towards buying a cx racing kit. I need rings for the pistons as it sits. I have multiple questions. I only want to put about 10-12lbs to her. I have 317 heads and cobra injectors and am looking at an ls6 intake and ARP rod bolts. Now, first off, is it sufficient to use the Speed Pro pistons in a boost application like that? If so, could someone direct me to the rings for these guys? I have been searching everywhere. If not, does anybody have a suggestion on what to use instead? Also, I will be getting into the cam game as well but have no idea where to start with a boost build. I have never built a boosted car so bare with me. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Do you think I can get 550rwhp from this build?

Last edited by fastcar; 08-17-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

Those pistons should be fine for your goals. They are hypereutectic, but stock/factory pistons are too and hold up just fine for boost. They also have a 3.907" bore, so it will require you to overbore the block for them to fit. Personally, the thought of an overbored LS1/6 block with boost makes me nervous. But for a mild build I am sure it will be fine.

The pistons take a 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm ring pack, which I imagine would be available from Speed Pro, or possibly Summit (given that Summit sells the pistons).

Rod bolts are not a bad idea, especially since you need to get your entire rotating assembly rebalanced anyways with the new pistons, so you might as well have them resize the rods with new bolts while they are at it.

The cobra injectors are only 38#, and may not support 550rwhp. I am not an expert on injectors, but for 500rwhp I would use 60's. Anything more than 600rwhp, and I would use 80# injectors.

As far as cams go, call someone who does that for a living and order a turbo cam. I recommend Martin Smallwood to spec you a cam, and have it ground on a Cam Motion core, but that is what I tell everyone who asks for advice pertaining to cams.

Not sure about the particular CXracing turbo kit. They have one with an intercooler with a T75, and another T75 kit without an intercooler. Both of them would be capable of 550rwhp. Both delete the air conditioner, I don't know if that matters to you. I would strongly suggest getting an intercooler for any boost setup you may choose. Possibly meth as well.

Either way, jumping straight into boost is not a bad thing if you know that is what you want, but you are going to have to really prep the rest of the car to support it. You will need a robust and effective cooling system... better radiator, better fans, oil cooler, transmission cooler (if you have an auto), stuff like that... New fuel pump and better fuel lines. Your transmission should be rebuilt at the very least, probably upgraded in some fashion or another, and your suspension and brakes need to be up to par with controlling all the new power.

There are a lot of people on here that have pieced together their own turbo kits and can help you out. Search for turbo LS1 and read up on what others have done. You will probably find something very similar to what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited by KCS; 08-16-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the welcome and the reply. I have actually perused these forums for around 6 years as thats how long I've had the car. This is just the best chance I've had to put some money into it. The block has already been bored and honed. I will be upgrading the fuel pump soon. I have the t56. How far can that trans go with a stage 3 clutch and stock trans as far as power goes? Was really hoping I could keep the cobra injectors. Got them at a really good deal. But I have put way too much time in this build and I can't afford to keep tuning it when I change things so I guess I'll be upgrading those as well. I know it's ridiculous but I really can't find any rings on summit's site or speed pro. Would it matter if I used a different brand rings with those pistons as long as the thickness is the same?
I was definitely planning on going with the intercooler kit. Also don't care about the a/c as thats what the t-tops are for. I also have a daily for the days that are unbearable. This car is going to be a weekender when I'm done.
Suspension is a requirement already as the car basically floats in the front as if I'm riding in a Caddy from the 80s.

Last edited by fastcar; 08-17-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Total Seal makes 3.907" 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm ring sets.
Part#: M-7984 or MS-7984.

Hastings Piston Rings also offers a 3.907" 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm set.
Part#: 2M9600S010.

500rwhp is really pushing it on the Cobra injectors. And, honestly, they are a split spray pattern injector, which shouldn't be used in an engine not designed for them, like an LS (or Ford 5.0L for that matter). But they are easy to find and apparently lots of people use them, so they obviously work to some extent. I just do not think they will get you 550 to the wheels.

I would imagine that your transmission should do fine at those power levels. You can find kits to beef up a T56 to "Stage 2" from Hawks motorsports for like ~$500 whenever you choose to step it up past 550rwhp. It will have all the billet keys and bronze pads and steel forks blah blah blah.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Teching In

So basically I might as well just order another set of pistons because the rings are a bit more expensive haha.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I do not want to have to tear this car apart again. I read somewhere that I may need rods with this power. Is that something I need to be concerned with? I would like to make sure everything is good to 650 at the crank.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Speaking from experience on the CXRacing Kits, save a little more and go with something like the On3 or Huron. With the CX kit, you will have to remove the exhaust manifolds to change spark plugs, run longer wires with 90* boots and overall fitment was an issue as well.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Default Fuel pump

So I know I will be needing a fuel pump. But do you guys think for a build like this, I will be able to use stock fuel lines? I'm hoping I can, because I will have to take the car somewhere to get new lines run if not. Also, what fuel pumps would you all recommend for this application?
Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

I made 650 RWHP using e85, dual walbro's, stock fuel lines from the tank to the engine, then aftermarket fuel rails and 80 lbhr injectors. Should be fine at that power level.

Quick Reply: Trans am turbo build