Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rpmspeed New HD rocker sets (not comp)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Rpmspeed New HD rocker sets (not comp)

The numerous threads recently about the failure of the comp (and a few others that are likely comp) trunion kits made us take a step back and ask what we could do to remedy this. Of course, the Straub Bushing kits are top notch and we sell them like crazy, but what about the customers that do not have the ability or know how to change them out? Should they be forced to take them to a shop or even pay $350+ for a brand new set installed in new rockers? Of course there are plenty of fs threads with guys selling used rockers with the upgrade, by why be stuck with buying used to get an affordable budget solution?
We thought the same thing, so we found a great alternative.
We are now proud to offer our New HD Rocker Arm Kits for cathedral and rec port heads.

(Actual pic )

Those are the cathedral rockers with cap screw bolts and (2) packets of zddp break in/assembly lube we recommend using when installing these rockers.
We do also recommend the use of break in oil or additive to be used when installing these to allow the bearing surface break in and mate properly to the trunion surface.

Wha makes these better than the failure prone comps? We sent them off to have a gamut of metallurgical testing just to make sure we were working with a solid product. Since the information may be french to most, ask any questions, and im pretty sure we can answer them.

I am running them on my own personal vehicle also to put our parts to the test.

There is much more info on our group purchase thread here Rocker GP.

Price is $240 shipped. GP is $230 ship every friday.

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 07-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really know how to throw a wrench in my thinking! These look awesome.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I thought i told you about em but maybe i forgot to. Lots going on here as you can see!!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
I thought i told you about em but maybe i forgot to. Lots going on here as you can see!!
You had mentioned that you guys would be coming out with a new rocker of some variety but I wasn't sure what it would be. These should be the answer I am looking for. A non-failing, non wear part.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That is what they are intended to be!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Reg price is $240 GP is $230. GP ships every friday.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Did you read the thread or linked thread?
These are stock rockers with bearings and hd trunions.

The rocker arms are not chinese. They do not have bronze bushings either.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

My Reher-Morrison assembled LS3 rockers arrived a couple of days or I give these a try. Look forward to the details.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great price, cant beat that.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
My Reher-Morrison assembled LS3 rockers arrived a couple of days or I give these a try. Look forward to the details.
I did not know they had rockers for LS3....they are 20 mins away from me.....they have my heads right now to get broken bolts out of the exhaust.......Darren gave me and my son a shop tour.....most excellent !

to bad I just installed the bushing kit in mine or I might have got these from ya WS6 store
Old 07-19-2017, 12:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No problem!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

2 days left til first GP ships
Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I see the Rocker Arms are not Chinese, where are the Bearings made?
I see you are concerned with using Zinc and Break in oil, what would happen if
you did not use recommended oils? Would it be the same output as the Comp?
If people used Zinc and break in oil with the Comp stuff would it have as much chance
in living without Surface Issues?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The bearings are a made by C&U. They are a chinese manuf but these are distributed here and are actually very high quality. You wont get that info from comp or any co really. We want to be as up front and truthful as possible on these.

We recommend the additive in the oil at least and include this lube with the kits to properly break in the "virgin" surfaces. I cannot say whether the comps would have lasted. Every guy is going to say of course they use break in additive or break in oil etc when most just installed them dry and ran whatever oil they had unless it was a brand new engine.
Id prefer they use not only the additive in reg oil as it does get diluted but rather a full break in oil with the kits, but us including any of that in the kit would not make them affordable so we did the next best thing and include zddp lube and have brand new rockers with no pattern on the valve contact pad or lifter cup. Then recommend break in additive or full break in oil change. That way EVERYONE knows ahead of time what to do and why. They cannot claim any ignorance or didnt see it etc. All too often ive seen other companies let it pass as "well its just common knowledge" or "well we always recommend break in lube and oil/additive" yet you never hear about it.
As far as the comp trunions, their failure issue seems to be from more than just proper oil. Surface roughness and hardness and finish were also issues.

If you dont use the break in additive then its really on you should any issue arise from not using it. That seems harsh but we tell everyone here amd even include a paper with the rockers on proper assy and to use break in additive or oil. $10 at the auto parts store for some lucas break in additive isnt much. Thats just 1 option.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So am I reading this correct? These ARE CHINESE BEARINGS, as in YES THEY ARE MADE
IN CHINA.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The bearings are a made by C&U. They are a Chinese manufacturer.
Yup, looks that way. What's your point?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

For using low-quality Chinese products, yes. Looks like these bearings have been vetted.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL I guess we'll see!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
For using low-quality Chinese products, yes. Looks like these bearings have been vetted.
Would you bet your engine on that? I have quite a few customers that used to work with Chinese manufacturers. Some are good, many send you a good product at first, then mix in the crap later.

I wonder if they are using the same bore size in the rocker as the factory version for the bearings? If you did have a problem in the future, you could at least swap them out.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Wow, this feels like the Russian Collusion witch hunt.

I never said all chinese parts are bad. I have said the holley sniper tbs amd intakes are chinese made and holley sells the crap out of them. We sell them also.

The speedmaster/ebay/chinese head studs are another story. I have personally worked with them and will refus to sell them or be a part of a build with them. I dont care if they are like sex panther where 70% of the time they work every time. They are garbage.

A short google search of the bearing co shows exactly all the awards etc they get worldwide. Plus AGAIN we had them sent out for testing to an outside firm before i even mentioned them on here. And i am using them on my own personal vehicle as well.

Did we design the trunions and source the bearings and install them? No. We do not have the time for that. They are professionally done for us and sent to us in sets of 8 so we can pair them with either more cathedral rockers or the offset ls3 rockers.

That company would be Melling.

We sourced the bolts and the ZDDP additive and sent the trunion sample off to be tested. Had it not tested better than the comp...i would not be making this post. These are better than the comp trunions. Even visually you can tell...and being that apparent to the naked eye is scary.

I could have told you a lie and said usa made bearings etc etc, but why? It says the manuf on the bearing. And the pn. Nothing to hide there.

Maybe that helps a little?

Quick Reply: Rpmspeed New HD rocker sets (not comp)