Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yella Terra rockers...anyone ever seen this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017 | 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Default Yella Terra rockers...anyone ever seen this...

All but 3 rockers have this issue to varying degrees. I'm posting some pics of the worst ones...some just have small spots
Old 07-31-2017 | 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It may be an oiling issue. Not enough oil, it any at all, getting to the rocker tip.

It can also be to much spring pressure, what springs you running?
Old 07-31-2017 | 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Need some back ground. Were these in the car? How many miles and were they like that when installed? Did you install them and if so, did you install new pushrods and clean them with a pushrod brush first?

Are they pitted or only discolored? (Hard to tell because photo is blurry)

I would pull the rocker and pushrod on those and check the pushrod for blockage that may be restricting oil.
Old 07-31-2017 | 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
It may be an oiling issue. Not enough oil, it any at all, getting to the rocker tip.

It can also be to much spring pressure, what springs you running?
I have no clue on what springs they are, car was built when I bought it. its a 6.0 turbo car
Old 07-31-2017 | 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Need some back ground. Were these in the car? How many miles and were they like that when installed? Did you install them and if so, did you install new pushrods and clean them with a pushrod brush first?

Are they pitted or only discolored? (Hard to tell because photo is blurry)

I would pull the rocker and pushrod on those and check the pushrod for blockage that may be restricting oil.
yes they were in running car. I believe they have like 5k miles on them. I did not install , were already in car. comp cam pushrods, I would call them pitted but you can feel some of the larger spots with your fingernail but ever so slightly. The rollers were all covered with a pretty good coat of oil when I pulled off the valve covers...I had to spin them and wipe them all off to be able to get a clear pic of the damage

blowing air through pushrods the best way to check them?
Old 07-31-2017 | 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

there are trick flow as cast heads
Old 07-31-2017 | 08:49 AM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

Losing contact with valve stem
Old 07-31-2017 | 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
Losing contact with valve stem
and what would cause this....not tightened down enough?
Old 07-31-2017 | 09:14 AM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by hireman
and what would cause this....not tightened down enough?
Probably valve float or something. The axles in the roller tips appear to be walking out too. I would send pics to Yella Terra and see what they say. They may be able to rebuild them.

Try to find out more about your valvetrain too. Like what camshaft, what pushrods and what preload they have on the lifter, what springs and their open & closed pressures, and what installed and coilbind heights are for the springs.
Old 07-31-2017 | 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It would be a good idea to see what lobes are on the cam and to pull lifters and look for lobe wear while things are apart.
Old 07-31-2017 | 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
It would be a good idea to see what lobes are on the cam and to pull lifters and look for lobe wear while things are apart.

It has ls7 lifters and the rollers on them look really good. engines on the way to be rebuilt, will know cam condition when its pulled, lobes looked good from what I could see with it in motor

Last edited by hireman; 07-31-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2017 | 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KCS
Probably valve float or something. The axles in the roller tips appear to be walking out too. I would send pics to Yella Terra and see what they say. They may be able to rebuild them.

Try to find out more about your valvetrain too. Like what camshaft, what pushrods and what preload they have on the lifter, what springs and their open & closed pressures, and what installed and coilbind heights are for the springs.
Ive sent them pics waiting for their response. Someone suggested it might be a failure in the hardening process on the rollers??
Old 07-31-2017 | 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hireman
Ive sent them pics waiting for their response. Someone suggested it might be a failure in the hardening process on the rollers??
Not sure its a rocker failure, more than likely a float impact failure. The rockers must may be the first link of the chain from a poorly integrated valve train.

Be interesting to see what the rest of the valve train looks like.
Old 08-01-2017 | 08:26 AM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member

either too weak of spring pressure, or too heavy of springs for the lifters and pushrods. Ls7 lifters aren't that great really. If the rocker is losing contact with the valve then the lifter can be losing contact with the cam. What happens then is the cam keeps coming around and slapping the lifter, resulting in damaged lifters and dents in the cam

Quick Reply: Yella Terra rockers...anyone ever seen this...