Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER boosted 5.3 build with summit bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Not sure I'd trust Chris on anything after the rockers...
Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's going to be a full floating rod as that is the LS6 shortblock in your GTO. on my 2004, I also broke the #7 ring land too on a Procharged setup. I sure wish I would have
checked the end gap on the stock rings for my own curiosity. Now that I think about it, I might still have them, it's been a while.

28k motor that ran perfect. And Summit does have a drop in piston for our Rods, too. That's what I plan to do with this block in the spring.

Good work BTW
Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 643 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
It's going to be a full floating rod as that is the LS6 shortblock in your GTO. on my 2004, I also broke the #7 ring land too on a Procharged setup. I sure wish I would have
checked the end gap on the stock rings for my own curiosity. Now that I think about it, I might still have them, it's been a while.

28k motor that ran perfect. And Summit does have a drop in piston for our Rods, too. That's what I plan to do with this block in the spring.

Good work BTW
yes it’s a floating pin on the piston. Checked last night. What pistons are drop in? Are they the same weight? I don’t want to pay to balance this motor too. I’d buy just pistons tho. And have a nice spare motor.

https://straubtechnologies.com/ls-pr...0?queryID=null

Last edited by Kfxguy; 08-02-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Not sure I'd trust Chris on anything after the rockers...
Mr Straub doesnt make the trunions, Smith Bros do. He is the original guy to market them and i believe had a hand in most of the designs.
They went through 2 or 3 engineering changes also and kurt urban tested them as well on some time attack and driving challenge cars with 0 issues.
Shaft mounts usually use the same style bronze and same material etc and most have little issue.
Chris is a stand up guy and has been in the game a VERY long time and knows whats up with nearly any engine platform. We have 0 issue with anything from him. He is the guy introducing those gaskets, but they are most definitely not needed in this situation. People lookin in the wrong place for a solution there and trying to make a huge issue out of a very simple fix. Those head gaskets are for higher end builds where you just cant shed the heat or build up pockets due to coolant system routing etc but not on std street builds at all.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Mr Straub doesnt make the trunions, Smith Bros do. He is the original guy to market them and i believe had a hand in most of the designs.
They went through 2 or 3 engineering changes also and kurt urban tested them as well on some time attack and driving challenge cars with 0 issues.
Shaft mounts usually use the same style bronze and same material etc and most have little issue.
Chris is a stand up guy and has been in the game a VERY long time and knows whats up with nearly any engine platform. We have 0 issue with anything from him. He is the guy introducing those gaskets, but they are most definitely not needed in this situation. People lookin in the wrong place for a solution there and trying to make a huge issue out of a very simple fix. Those head gaskets are for higher end builds where you just cant shed the heat or build up pockets due to coolant system routing etc but not on std street builds at all.
Chris came on here bashing the crap out of stock rockers, comps,and everything under the sun and how the Straub rockers are the silver bullet. Everyone ate it up, and now people have started checking theirs with minimal miles on them and are seeing excessive wear and play and having to yank them out. And now he's no where to be found on here. That is not cool.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Chris came on here bashing the crap out of stock rockers, comps,and everything under the sun and how the Straub rockers are the silver bullet. Everyone ate it up, and now people have started checking theirs with minimal miles on them and are seeing excessive wear and play and having to yank them out. And now he's no where to be found on here. That is not cool.

are the straub the same as CHE? That’s what I have. At least 12k miles on mine and no wear.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
yes it’s a floating pin on the piston. Checked last night. What pistons are drop in? Are they the same weight? I don’t want to pay to balance this motor too. I’d buy just pistons tho. And have a nice spare motor.
Thanks for checking on the full float.
I'm slowly collecting parts to put the 20k mile LS1 together for my kids S10. I believe I'll put a set of Mahle 4032 forged flat tops in it. Never know if a turbo might find it's way into the mix.
I've got a nice set of GEN IV rods with the ARP bolts (checked at machine shop), and some 706 heads I started porting.

My updated L33 goes back in the Nova this week. Yahoo!

Ron
Old 01-15-2020, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,214 Likes on 2,510 Posts

are the straub the same as CHE? That’s what I have. At least 12k miles on mine and no wear.
Both are bushing, but CHE are full floating; everything slips together, no pressing parts together. Straub bushings are pressed in.
The following users liked this post:
ddnspider (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Both are bushing, but CHE are full floating; everything slips together, no pressing parts together. Straub bushings are pressed in.
ok good. The CHE are very very nice quality. And I’ve see no wear or metal in my oil. Or noise. Besides the broken piston. Lol.

sorry guys, I did t get to check the ring gaps on the ls1. I left the gym late. Came home and disassembled the oil pan and cleaned it up real good. Installed the oil pickup and went to put my windage tray on and noticed I didn’t have the nuts for it. I don’t remember seeing them in the arp stud kit. O well. I’ll get some quality flange nuts from work. I’ll peen them to lock and use blue loctite. My fel pro head gaskets came in today too. Along with a gm 3 bar map sensor.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 AM
10 Second Club

nope, CHE is the new hotness that everyone is recommending over the Straub and others.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
True, not going to solve buttin rings that are too tight on 93, but would have provided additional chamber cooling (and very slight margin). With 4 corner vents and additional coolant flow at the exhaust side of the head are just some additional recipe ingredients to help keep things happier. Always wise to asses any build and ask yourself, "is there anything else that makes sense to do"?
The following 2 users liked this post by tblentrprz:
G Atsma (01-15-2020), Kfxguy (01-18-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
True, not going to solve buttin rings that are too tight on 93, but would have provided additional chamber cooling (and very slight margin). With 4 corner vents and additional coolant flow at the exhaust side of the head are just some additional recipe ingredients to help keep things happier. Always wise to asses any build and ask yourself, "is there anything else that makes sense to do"?
The fix besides ring gap is the 4 corner vent. Not nascar style gaskets.

As far as the trunions go, the failures ive been tracking an be attributed to not the design. He gets passionate about the industry in general and when people still use the comp stuff even.though its so failure prone (and still do) then he will let his opinion be known. Not everything is installer error, but when Kurt put the bushings in his driving experience cars etc you can guarantee they saw more of a beating than in Joe Somebodys 04 gto daily. There is more to those failures.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't find them after a quick search.

I could have sworn they made a 3.898", 6.098" Rod, Floating pin piston???

Maybe Summit will chime in. They do have other options it looks like but may require boring/honing. Or, those H Beams look nice, too.
But then again, it would defeat the purpose of dropping them in without doing a balance on the Rotating ***.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh, here it is. Plus it has a small dome. giving us the opportunity to bring up the compression a bit with the 241 heads and thin head gaskets. Although, I don't run anything but the LS9 gaskets as they're my personal choice other than the small bore, 3.78".

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-3269453898-3

EDIT:
Well ****, they're listed as available in a Gen 3 press fit, Aftermarket .927" and Gen 4 Floating however reading the questions below, they'll need to be honed for the Floating. Wonder what that costs? anyone?

EDIT...Again. I always jump the gun before thinking about things sometimes. Due to the extra clearance needed to run the 2618 Alloy pistons, we'll likely need to have the block honed out a bit just to reach the minimum .0035" PTW clearance needed.
Now I'm undecided as there's so many directions one could go to just to get a forged piston on the stock crank with minimum spending. There are the mahle 4032 which require less clearance and may drop in but they're going to be 900 bucks or more.
Summit's Piston, Rings and Rod combo look like a fantastic option, too. but again, price plus machine work. Or, I "Think" WS6Store has a stronger OEM piston that can drop in. Would love it if he chimed in to confirm. That with filed rings should put a lot more
strength and reliability in the block. And lastly, I've always wondered if just Gapping the rings (Especially the problematic Hot #7 Cylinder) on OE pistons would avoid many broken ring land situations. I really think these happen due to the heat and minimal gaps causing
the rings to butt together and push up/down on the ring lands.

Last edited by BlwnLs1GTO; 01-15-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Machine shops around here will only hone the rods and definitely not pistons. Youll run into that more and more now.
Steel vs alum.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well with the Summit Pistons, only the Rods need honing to use the supplied pins. So that's good. Unfortunately, I don't trust my local machine shop. they've costed me a lot of money over the years for very bad work. And it's the only one in the city. I "think" they could manage a slight hone on some Rods and Cylinders but that's about as far as I'd go with them now after the crap I've gone through.

You guys are lucky who are east of the Mississippi, seriously. You guys know your ****, price well, engines, parts etc... can be had for what we'd call an absolute STEAL! You can't get a used Gen 4 Aluminum block for less than 2k complete. Junkyards have all buddies up with shops and Garage guys who purchase all the LS junkyard vehicles that roll in. And they rebuild them and try selling them for double the price of any vendor on here, seriously.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,238 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
I can't find them after a quick search.

I could have sworn they made a 3.898", 6.098" Rod, Floating pin piston???

Maybe Summit will chime in. They do have other options it looks like but may require boring/honing. Or, those H Beams look nice, too.
But then again, it would defeat the purpose of dropping them in without doing a balance on the Rotating ***.
Hi there, agreed the steam kits are a great addition. I took out #7 on my tracked C5z and a kit like the TFS-3065sb01 would have saved it. On the pistons, the 5.3's come in press fit (.9449 pin) and full floating versions (.9433 pin). We haven't made the 5.7's in both variants BUT it's as easy as taking a set of Gen.4 rods down to the machine shop and having them honed for the ,9449 pin. We did build spiralock grooves and include locks in case someone wants to do that. 6.0 comes press and floating. 6.2's are all floating.

The Gen. 3 rod version with 3cc dome in 3.898 standard bore is SUM-3269453898-3 and the 3.903 version is the SUM-3269453903-3. The pistons have the .0035 clearance built into them so 3.898 and 3.903 are the actual target bore sizes...no more than that.

And of course we have 1.299 compression height 6.125 H beam versions. Part numbers on those are SUM-2999273898-3 and SUM-2999273903-3 for the domes and SUM-2999273898-7 and SUM-2999273903-7 for the 7 cc boost version.

Does this help? Let me know if there are other questions.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com

Last edited by Summitracing; 01-16-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Holy crap guys. I just measured the top ring gap. You guys aren’t gonna believe me but it’s .025! How did my rings butt I wonder? Dang. Maybe piston is just weak.

I don’t know if I mentioned it. I change my mind on head gaskets. Originally I had ordered some factory 5.3 gaskets. .051 compressed thickness. Then I decided to put the nice fel pro’s on there. Twice the price, but they are nice and they are .041 compressed so I should bump the compression a touch. Everything counts I guess. All I got left is to put the heads on now.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

Odd your gap was so big and it still broke that piston.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Holy crap guys. I just measured the top ring gap. You guys aren’t gonna believe me but it’s .025! How did my rings butt I wonder? Dang. Maybe piston is just weak.

I don’t know if I mentioned it. I change my mind on head gaskets. Originally I had ordered some factory 5.3 gaskets. .051 compressed thickness. Then I decided to put the nice fel pro’s on there. Twice the price, but they are nice and they are .041 compressed so I should bump the compression a touch. Everything counts I guess. All I got left is to put the heads on now.
Do you see signs of butting on ring end? Polished, rubbed, etc.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER boosted 5.3 build with summit bottom end