Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter stuck in lifter bore, wont come out normally, options/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lifter stuck in lifter bore, wont come out normally, options/suggestions?

99 z28 m6 106K

well ya im down to the block and the lifter just doesnt wanna come out. all the others came out with a pen magnet, this one wont come out with pliers (being gentle). i know someone who has a puller and can take it out that way and then hone the lifter bore, but what is the best way to go about this? I dont want to pull the motor unless it is absolutely necessary. thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

come on guys, someone has to know an answer to my problem
Old 06-19-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried sticking the cam back in and rolling it over it get the lifter to move up and down? don't know if it will work or not just giving sugestions.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the cam is out maybe you could tap it back down and catch it with a magnet tool where the cam would go.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
Have you tried sticking the cam back in and rolling it over it get the lifter to move up and down? don't know if it will work or not just giving sugestions.
the cam is in, i have been rolling the motor over cuz i have been cleaning the block and cylinder walls, etc. and nothing. it doesnt budge, the thing doesnt not move at all. thanks for the help

Originally Posted by P Mack
If the cam is out maybe you could tap it back down and catch it with a magnet tool where the cam would go.
thats is what i was thinking but if it falls then we are even worse then before, but hey we might give it a try. i pulled on it a little with vice grips, it stuck bad. thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to try and turn it? If its stuck in the bore, I would guess it turned in the bore, so maybe if you could try and turn it.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

You can pull it out by hand, but it will be tough. clean the lifter tray thoroughly (remove the oil), install it on the lifter, turn the cam and pull on the tray. This should stick the lifter far enough into the tray for removal. Or you can use needle nose pliers carefully to remove it. The key is to make sure you are pulling the lifter "straight out" and not at an angle, otherwise it will fall back down when you try to pull it. You can tell when it's straight up or centered when there is no resistance as you slowly pull it up. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the last time this happened to me was when a comp r lifter cam apart on me and deformed the lifter bore...i was wondering for a long time how come it cont come out untill i had the engine out and had to use a big hammer to knock it through the other side...block was ruined

was your car making knockin noices at all before this?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bet the cam side of the lifter is damaged preventing you from pulling it out . Pull the cam and tap it in the other way , that is the only way I know how to remove a lifter that has been damaged . At least that was what happened to mine . Lots of tapping/ knocking noises was what prompted me to tear it apart and find the source . If it wasn't damaged , it would come out with your fingers .
Old 06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

thats what i was saying?
was you block messed up at all?
well my lifter got stuck becasue the rod that the roller tip rides on slide out the side and when it was on the upstroke it jamed on the block and my cam broke the lifter into a thousand pieces and since it was jamed into the block the lifter bore was fecked

had to get a new short block
Old 06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jerflash
thats what i was saying?
well my lifter got stuck becasue the rod that the roller tip rides on slide out the side and when it was on the upstroke it jamed on the block and my cam broke the lifter into a thousand pieces and since it was jamed into the block the lifter bore was fecked

The bore was messed up a little bit , but the machine shop was able to get it back to spec by honing it out . The block was fine . I guess I was lucky it didnt bury pieces of the lifter in the block .

Last edited by 1999T/A; 06-20-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
Is there any way to try and turn it? If its stuck in the bore, I would guess it turned in the bore, so maybe if you could try and turn it.
dont think so, the thing is stuck, i had vice grips on it and was pulling some and nothing. ill try and turn it. thank you

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
You can pull it out by hand, but it will be tough. clean the lifter tray thoroughly (remove the oil), install it on the lifter, turn the cam and pull on the tray. This should stick the lifter far enough into the tray for removal. Or you can use needle nose pliers carefully to remove it. The key is to make sure you are pulling the lifter "straight out" and not at an angle, otherwise it will fall back down when you try to pull it. You can tell when it's straight up or centered when there is no resistance as you slowly pull it up. Hope this helps.
ill try that. moving the cam so the lifter is all the way up and then pull it out. thank you.

the last time this happened to me was when a comp r lifter cam apart on me and deformed the lifter bore...i was wondering for a long time how come it cont come out untill i had the engine out and had to use a big hammer to knock it through the other side...block was ruined

was your car making knockin noices at all before this?
i was thinking about this too. i think this is our final action. take the cam out and have a butt ton of magnets, hit it and have the magnets there to catch it so it doesnt fall into the oil pan. thanks. ya the car sounded like a sewing machine. i replaced everything that didnt involve pulling the heads.

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
I bet the cam side of the lifter is damaged preventing you from pulling it out . Pull the cam and tap it in the other way , that is the only way I know how to remove a lifter that has been damaged . At least that was what happened to mine . Lots of tapping/ knocking noises was what prompted me to tear it apart and find the source . If it wasn't damaged , it would come out with your fingers .
that will be our last option, dont wanna risk pulling the motor. thanks

thats what i was saying?

i sure hope i dont have to get a new shortblock.....well, kinda
Old 06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

i hope things turn out for you. i think your best bet would be to knock down into the motor and try to catch it. this same thing happened to me and i had to get a new shortblock.

best wishes
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

well i could have probably honed it out to spec also but i had it out so i got a forged short block for a steal and could not pass it up

i may do it now anyway to salvage the motor
Old 06-20-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hope it turns out well for me too, new shortblock or not. we'll see how it goes. ill try both ways. thanks for the help guys, ill let you know what happens.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** UPDATE ****

Lifter Shattered

Half of the roller is somewhere in the motor and there are 2 other big chunks somewhere else.

I will post pics prob tomorrow.

What do you think caused this to happen?

A motor estimated a 1400 rebuild and a downtime of ~3 weeks cuz he kinda does this on the side.

Should i throw in an extra grand and go forged or do the 1400 and spend it somewhere else. No nitrous, SC, or turbo for me anytime soon.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say if you have the extra money at least do forged rods and pistions, that way if you want to throw a power adder at it that will be one less thing to worry about. What type of internal damage was done?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
I would say if you have the extra money at least do forged rods and pistions, that way if you want to throw a power adder at it that will be one less thing to worry about. What type of internal damage was done?
ya i see what you are saying, i was thinking that as well, cuz i kinda wanna keep this car for a pretty long time, i think. As of now the cam is trash, and the lifter bore needs to be rehoned. Pretty much the whole engine needs to be looked over so we can find out why it grenaded. The other parts of the lifter that didnt come out on the last oil change need to be found and accounted for as well.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

what lifters were you runing???

i bet the roller rod slide out
Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

what lifters were you runing???

i bet the roller rod slide out
stockers, we took the lifters out and some didnt look like others, so someone must have been inside the motor before i bought it.

i dont know about the roller rod, it was still on when we yanked it out except half the roller was gone and the bearings would fall out with no trouble at all.

Quick Reply: Lifter stuck in lifter bore, wont come out normally, options/suggestions?