Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Results with ETP heads.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
The know it all's know it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Huh?
I didn't say there was anything wrong w/ the #'s, they are good. Just trying to figure out the power loss going to a FAST intake.
Ok its not that the FAST doesn't flow more air on the bench becuase it does, it was tested. We figured it would improve power. We could not have been more wrong on the subject.There are some accustical issues with the intake that have nothing to do with overall flow chareterisitcs.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Seems to me its more about the parts working well togethor, I see what collins is saying all the cams that put out big numbers with the fast combo seem to have tight angles and smaller lobes(relatively)

You just hear so much more about gains than loses
Old 11-13-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be curious to see what happens to my car if the LS6 is taken off and used with the FAST setup. then again, most likely the same thing that happened to the red vette in the first post will happen to my car....
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Seems to me its more about the parts working well togethor, I see what collins is saying all the cams that put out big numbers with the fast combo seem to have tight angles and smaller lobes(relatively)

You just hear so much more about gains than loses
Heres is the FAST VS LS6 dyno sheet. The bottom blue TQ line is the FAST so is the bottom Red Line. Here you can clearly see that the FAST 90/90 induces a harmonic in the intake tract that cuase a substantialy loss in power.
Attached Thumbnails Results with ETP heads.-ls6vsfast.jpg  
Old 11-13-2006, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CollinsAutomotive
Heres is the FAST VS LS6 dyno sheet. The bottom blue TQ line is the FAST so is the bottom Red Line. Here you can clearly see that the FAST 90/90 induces a harmonic in the intake tract that cuase a substantialy loss in power.
must be a specific Cam you guy's use. I've done alot of testing back to back and the FAST 90mm setup ALWAYS makes more power across the curve than the LS6 manifolds. Atleast your setups will save the customer money
Old 11-13-2006, 05:35 PM
7 Second Club

I'd be willing to bet you have a leak with the manifold.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I'd be willing to bet you have a leak with the manifold.
We went through everything vacum leaks etc. Resealed the intake manifold with silicone blah blah blah no vacum leaks. It just didn't make power. You can see by the hump in the power curve which indicates an issue with the runner design.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
must be a specific Cam you guy's use. I've done alot of testing back to back and the FAST 90mm setup ALWAYS makes more power across the curve than the LS6 manifolds. Atleast your setups will save the customer money
I question this statement immensly. We are pushing the limits of this manifold design with a 347ci motor. On a bigger engine the FAST would most likely perform better but we have seen that not work out either. There was one application with a very tight LSA dragshaft cam that made 3hp more then the LS6 but the car never approached these power numbers. 350tq 390 hp.

Last edited by CollinsAutomotive; 11-13-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I question this statement immensly. We are pushing the limits of this manifold design with a 347ci motor. On a bigger engine the FAST would most likely perform better but we have seen that not work out either. There was one application with a very tight LSA dragshaft cam that made 3hp more then the LS6 but the car never approached these power numbers. 350tq 390 hp.
Then,why are you guy's the only one not gaining HP/TQ?Your #'s are good but not huge by any means.It seams like you are trying FAST setup's on alot of cars from the sound of it.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I dunno how the fast 90/90 would have worked out on the 402/Et240 setup that I'm running..... but I think i will find out how it compares to an edlebrock with an elbow next year... I suspect the edlebrock will make more power, but we will see.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 PM

Then,why are you guy's the only one not gaining HP/TQ?Your #'s are good but not huge by any means.It seams like you are trying FAST setup's on alot of cars from the sound of it.
We have been testing the FAST setups and been consistently disspointed.Its not us but the people need to retune after changing the intake and all it does is looose power.These numbers are extremly good. dynojet numbers consistently come in 16% higher then this particular Mustang 1750de dynomometer.if you adjust for the dynojet numbers the engine is up in HP alot and the TQ is silly.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I dunno how the fast 90/90 would have worked out on the 402/Et240 setup that I'm running..... but I think i will find out how it compares to an edlebrock with an elbow next year... I suspect the edlebrock will make more power, but we will see.
The edelbrock single plane ?? i would expect a huge gain in upper end power with that intake.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If this is a standing wave issue, isn't there a frequency dependence? I see the difference between the LS6 and the FAST appears to be parallel throughout the RPM range, I would have thought that this wouldn't have occurred.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We have been testing the FAST setups and been consistently disspointed.Its not us but the people need to retune after changing the intake and all it does is looose power.These numbers are extremly good. dynojet numbers consistently come in 16% higher then this particular Mustang 1750de dynomometer.if you adjust for the dynojet numbers the engine is up in HP alot and the TQ is silly.
I'm guessing that this is after your Cam package? I can see maybe your Cam design just doesn't use a FAST,but pretty much saying all the H/C cars out there loose HP? I just haven't seen it but I have seen a few cars gain nothing with a FAST because the setup's just didn't need the extra intake flow.
I'm getting into the Dyno HP game on different dyno's. You can go by your's and I'll go by mine
Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Truthfully, with a 402ci with ET 240cc heads I would expect static compression around 12-1 with a Cam in the high 240's.Then a single plain intake would shine for 5500rpm and up.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM

I'm guessing that this is after your Cam package? I can see maybe your Cam design just doesn't use a FAST,but pretty much saying all the H/C cars out there loose HP? I just haven't seen it but I have seen a few cars gain nothing with a FAST because the setup's just didn't need the extra intake flow.
I'm getting into the Dyno HP game on different dyno's. You can go by your's and I'll go by mine
No this is with a wide variety of h/c packages. As for using a FAST/LS6 I think we are using up every bit of this intake design in a 347 application.What i know about this dyno is that when you quarter mile sim its always runs the number so i takes it output as being absolute.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by vettenuts
If this is a standing wave issue, isn't there a frequency dependence? I see the difference between the LS6 and the FAST appears to be parallel throughout the RPM range, I would have thought that this wouldn't have occurred.
I don't think the runners are that good. There are some shapping things in the FAST that make me go Hmmmm. I haven;t had time to really research the issue. When i get some down time i plan on trying to figure out the problem and if there is a solution.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question leak?

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Huh?
I didn't say there was anything wrong w/ the #'s, they are good. Just trying to figure out the power loss going to a FAST intake.

Could it be the Valley Cover Bolts? FAST uses specific low profile mounting harware...
Old 11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by CLHAKA
Could it be the Valley Cover Bolts? FAST uses specific low profile mounting harware...
Or maybe the throttle body's never reach 100% because the cable Cam isn't cut to clear the PCV setup
Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by CLHAKA
We have checked all those things. the FAST just doesn't make more power from what we have seen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Results with ETP heads.