Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Two-Piece timing cover. good , bad, or otherwise inside please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP Two-Piece timing cover. good , bad, or otherwise inside please...

I am weighing the ideas of using the QTP timing cover in my 408 pproject and I see by seraching that people are having issues with certain oil pump/timing set combinations. I want to use the Melling HV oil pump which means I have to run a single roller chain as I understand it.

I got to thinking and was curious if anyone has run a rollmaster with the melling pump and the QTP cover with any success. Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why do you need a two piece? will you be doing lots of cam changes.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll get better responce to this over here.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

The QTP 2 piece cover is a great piece. I am already looking to upgrade my cam over the winter so i am glad i already have it. You only need a single roller. Double costs horsepower and i have never seen anyone break a chain before. But if you want to make sure about combos, QTP also make there HV oil pump which is designed with there cover. It works very well actually to well. I had to put the lower pressure spring back in because i was running to much pressure with the high pressure spring.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks nice and gets rave reviews from those who use it, but I just cant justify that kind of price!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Launching!

One of the vendors makes a cheaper two piece. It won't hold the higher volume QTP oil pump and it's not polished. However, it is much cheaper. If you are just looking for easier cam swap ability, this is a good route.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5 Forever
One of the vendors makes a cheaper two piece. It won't hold the higher volume QTP oil pump and it's not polished. However, it is much cheaper. If you are just looking for easier cam swap ability, this is a good route.
Who is this? The QTP looks really nice, but pricey.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The QTP piece isn't polished, its machined out of solid billet hence part of the increased price. It is a very nice part, very high quality. You can only use a single chain though, you can't remove the double with the cover in place. I went with the Katech chain.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by C5 Forever
Who might this other vendor be, if they are a non-sponsor please PM me.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

I would give Nasty Performance a call. I think they can modify a stock cover into a two piece for a couple hundered bucks.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Order 66
The QTP 2 piece cover is a great piece. I am already looking to upgrade my cam over the winter so i am glad i already have it. You only need a single roller. Double costs horsepower and i have never seen anyone break a chain before. But if you want to make sure about combos, QTP also make there HV oil pump which is designed with there cover. It works very well actually to well. I had to put the lower pressure spring back in because i was running to much pressure with the high pressure spring.
Chains break man, but do what you want.

Thomas
Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The QTP cover has been a great time saver for me on various engine builds when people are always looking for more. I use single row chains on every engine build and have never had any issues.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 PM

the QTP cover is a really nice piece, i have seen a few of them and i plan on getting on on my next project
Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z06kern
I would give Nasty Performance a call. I think they can modify a stock cover into a two piece for a couple hundered bucks.
I've had their cover on my CTSV, and 2 cam swaps later, I'm glad I have it. No way I would pay for QTP's cover. It's nice, but wayyyy to expensive.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the QTP 2 piece cover as well as their hi volume oil pump. My install was on a 2004 GTO and Barry was upfront with me when I bought it about possible interference with the backside of the water pump. Sure enough I had a slight interference, took the top piece to a local machine shop and had a few thou milled off ( Barry approved the material removal) since then QTP has made their adjustments, and they more than made up for any inconvenience to me......Great folks to deal with.

I originally decided to go the two piece during a cam change after my procharger installation. As the crank snout has to be redrilled every time you remove the harmonic balancer, I thought that a major pain. Even though the QTP piece is a bit pricey it is a very high quality piece, and in the long run cheaper than screwing up my crankshaft......highly recomended.

I too went with the Katech timing chain....
Old 11-23-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

its almost as much as an EWP.....lets get real here folks....
nice piece sure, but WAY too $$

if a sponsor produced a cover at half the price of the QTP, they'd sell like hotcakes IMO
Old 11-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
its almost as much as an EWP.....lets get real here folks....
nice piece sure, but WAY too $$

if a sponsor produced a cover at half the price of the QTP, they'd sell like hotcakes IMO
I would love to make it cheaper but the price of aluminum is almost half the price of the unit itself.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, people don't take into account materials cost and the cost of manufacturing not to mention try to turn a reasonable profit so you don't end up losing your *** on the part.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Sure theres material cost and then of course labor which is mostly the CNC work, but that has to be programmed and maintained as well. Cutters break, coolant, etc.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont get us wrong, I dont think anyone is saying that youre OVERCHARGING for the piece, only that its too much money for the casual modder to justify the time savings... Having grown up around CNC machines and CAD/CAM setups my whole life, I can vouch for you not price gouging. You probably make more on chip money (recycling) than on straight profit with the cost of materials these days.

Quick Reply: QTP Two-Piece timing cover. good , bad, or otherwise inside please...