Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank damage advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank damage advice needed

so there was a horrible noise in the clutch area so we took the T56 out and this is what we found. All the bolts had backed out. When we pulled the bell housing along came the flywheel and clutch. This was installed by a shop. There was no sign of lock tight being used either.

So the big question! Is the crank to far gone? Is it going to effect the balance/ performance

Old 12-18-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The flywheel is toast. The crank might be okay as long as the mating surface is flat. That really sucks.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear and see that. OUCH
Looks like it is time for a new crank- &-rebuild at least, that crank is junk. I hope that shop makes good on the mistake.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

clean up the threads on the crank and see if there ok, check if a good bolt goes in and holds. i would prob replace the crank other wise.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

I ran bolts into all the holes with my fingers.. no problem. the surface of yhe crank isnt fugged up too bad either, its just the first 1/8 inch of the bolt hoe is wallowed out. I think it will finr as long as a fly wheel will set flush... which i think it will.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

honestly, id replace the crank...even if the bolts thread in by hand, and/or you could clean the threads, that thing still looks pretty chewed up. i wouldnt trust it...id rather replace it with what needs to be replaced now, than have to replace what needs to be now and later if you have problems resulting from this later...my honest $.02

-cam
Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

im not sure on the terms and conditions of the work performed by that "shop" for you, or if they even installed the flywheel for you, but if they did i would probably go back and see what they will do for you. i understand things happen, parts fail, blah blah blah, whatever...but thats kinda shady. ive pulled and installed mine myself five times in the year ive owned my f-body,and i didnt have any problems even remotely close to flywheel issues. depending on the warranty from the shop, id see what they have to say...

-cam
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't possibly imagine what could make all the bolts back out - other than the possibility the installer took a coffee break and forgot to torque them down.

I'd go to the shop and get them to fix things properly.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:22 AM
11 Second Club

if he could take it back to the shop, he would.. but, the shop is in texas, the car is in hawaii, and this is a different owner than the guy that paid for the work 3 months ago. What hes looking for is if you think he can bolt up a new flywheel if the bolt holes are still good or if its not worth the risk of having another flywheel fall off and having to replace it again, plus a crank.
Me personally, i would run it with a new fly wheel, whats the worst the can happen... he has to replace the fly wheel and crank if it fails.... id at least give it a shot..
Old 12-19-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
if he could take it back to the shop, he would.. but, the shop is in texas, the car is in hawaii, and this is a different owner than the guy that paid for the work 3 months ago. What hes looking for is if you think he can bolt up a new flywheel if the bolt holes are still good or if its not worth the risk of having another flywheel fall off and having to replace it again, plus a crank.
Me personally, i would run it with a new fly wheel, whats the worst the can happen... he has to replace the fly wheel and crank if it fails.... id at least give it a shot..
In this case I would agree with you. He needs to take a file to the surface of that crank flange and make sure there are no burrs or pushed up metal that would keep his new flywheel from sitting flat. He may also see if he can find some bolts that might be slightly longer (that is if the stock ones do not protrude all the way through the crank flange) that way he can get as much good thread as possible just as long as they do not interfere with anything once they are completely installed. The worst case scenario would be that as those bolts got loose the flywheel seperated from the crank and got in a bind then tried to force the crankshaft forward in the block. If this happened it could have damaged the thrust surface of the main bearing which could then lead to crank failuer and possibly block damage. I would see if I could get the receipt for the work done by the shop, then send them some pictures and a letter explaining the situation and request that they help you out with the expense since it was obviously directly caused by their negligence.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

I am going to order a new SPEC billet flywheel tommorow and try it. Hopefully it all goes good. I will post up what happens. Feel free to keep the opinions coming. I also plan on calling the shop when I confirm who done the work. From what I was told and have reciepts for all the work was done by a board sponsor. It doesnt show for the clutch work though.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

That looks like an Eagle crank that leaked out the center freeze plug.

How about this for a wild-*** theory - oil from the crank caused the clutch to slip and made heat, and the repeated heat cycling loosened the bolts?

Just a theory. Random at that.

Replace the freeze plug (pick up a 1"). Remove the old one, clean the hole, and be sure to seal it with something like Permatex Ultra Black.