Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Cam Install Tomorrow..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
^^no its not hard at all. once you think you have it lined up, turn the crank over by hand once or twice. you will easily be able to tell if its lined up correctly or not. even if its off by a tooth, youll be able to tell after turning it over a couple times.

also pulling the radiator isnt bad. i pulled mine by myself. just took a little extra time walking from side to side of the car.

o ok cool... o yea one more question..scence i got a double roller timming chain.. does it gome with the top and bottom gear? is it hard to take off the bottom one? also yea i think i should be able to manage the radiator.. i member i pulled one on my old iroc by myself before... everything seems to be straight forward.. and not to hard.. my only concerns rite now are... changing the springs without dropping a valve, putting the crank pulley back on. and putting the pick up tube back on the oil pump... but i think just taking my time, and trying to do it calmly it should all go smoothly... i hope

also that tool that im buying for putting the pulley back on.. how do i use it? do i just start tightening it with that bolt.. and once its all the way on.. use the new crank bolt? o and ill have to line those dots up again rite? after i got all the springs on?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
o ok cool... o yea one more question..scence i got a double roller timming chain.. does it gome with the top and bottom gear? is it hard to take off the bottom one? also yea i think i should be able to manage the radiator.. i member i pulled one on my old iroc by myself before... everything seems to be straight forward.. and not to hard.. my only concerns rite now are... changing the springs without dropping a valve, putting the crank pulley back on. and putting the pick up tube back on the oil pump... but i think just taking my time, and trying to do it calmly it should all go smoothly... i hope

also that tool that im buying for putting the pulley back on.. how do i use it? do i just start tightening it with that bolt.. and once its all the way on.. use the new crank bolt? o and ill have to line those dots up again rite? after i got all the springs on?
What method are you using to hold the valves up? air compressor or TDC? and with the tool putting the crank pulley back on is a breeze. all you do is thread the bolt in 5-6 turns, and then the second nut rotates and the washer presses the pulley on. this way your not stressing the thread inside the crank while the pulley is being pressed on.

A good trick i picked up from another member on here for putting the pick-up bolt back in is to
1. tie fishing line around it, incase you drop it
2. get a 10mm gear wrench and put the bolt in the wrench
3. hold the bolt with the wrench up to the threads and start threading it in with some small needle nose pliers
4. finish it off with the wrench
I thought it was going to be a major PITA, but with this method it only took me maybe 5 min at most.

i dont know for sure if you have to get it back to dot-to-dot after the springs. i dont see why you would need to if you already alligned them properly before. i cant remember if i did it to mine. i dont think so though.

as far as installing a double roller, im not sure, ive never done one. but try running a search for it. im sure you can find a couple threads on it
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

im going to be doing the TDC method.. cuz i dont have a air compressor... and yea fore the crank pulley.. that tool seems to make it very easy... and ill try that method u mentioned for the pick up tube... ill have to read up on the install for a double roller... do you kno what place sells a decent torqe wrench? that wont cost an arm and a leg? i went to autozone, and that one looks like a piece of ****... they were sold out at advanced auto parts...
Old 02-11-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i borrowed a digital Snap on from by buddy..since all mine are from advanced(didnt know if i wanted to trust them or not haha)
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i borrowed a digital Snap on from by buddy..since all mine are from advanced(didnt know if i wanted to trust them or not haha)
dam... i gotta get one by friday.. hopefully i can find a decent one... prolly just try to return it when im done
Old 02-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Hey number two... you GOTTA call me after you do the swap.

I forgot which cam your doing.

~Gregg~
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackSVT03
Hey number two... you GOTTA call me after you do the swap.

I forgot which cam your doing.

~Gregg~

will do bro!

i was gunna go ms4... but finnaly decided.. and just got the ms3... i would have had to sell my springs... and get new ones.. and it would have limited the heads i could use even more.. without fly cutting..
Old 02-11-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the types of questions you're asking you'd better have someone around that knows what they're doing when you get into trouble. It's obvious you don't have a whole lot of experience at this swap and that's a recipe for disaster. A least you're asking a lot of questions ahead of time instead of wating until after you make a mistake.
You can't use a two leg jaw type puller to remove dual springs. The outer spring will be compressed, but the inner will not. This keeps the retainer from being released so you can't get the keepers out. You'll need a tool that compresses BOTH springs at the same time from the top.
A threaded rod is a good way to push the pulley back on. The thread pitch is 16mmX2mm. You could buy a piece about a foot long or just get a bolt at least 120mm long. The OEM bolt is 103mm, but that's not long enough to pull the pulley on without taking the chance of damaging the first few threads in the crank snout. It's not worth it. Don't try it since your experience is limited.
Use a large 3 leg puller to get the pulley off. Posi-Lock is the best brand bar none. If you don't use Posi-Lock you'll need a helper to keep the puller legs in place till you get it tightened down unless you have three hands.
For the cam chain/oil pump drive sprocket on the crank you can use a small 2 leg puller.
I use a BIG allen head cap screw in the crank to buck the 3 leg puller rod up against when removing the pulley. This forces the puller rod to be self-centering. Place a couple of large flat washers under the head of the allen screw that are slightly smaller than the I.D. of the crank pulley.
There are numerous methods of securing the crank as you remove and install the pulley. I use a chain wrench on the pulley itself going off and back on. This method works well.
The rocker bolts are only torqued to 22 ft/lbs., but the locktite takes about 100 ft/lbs. of force to break. You'll need an 8mm 6 point socket and a breker bar with a short extension. You need to pop the breaker bar hard and fast to crack the locktite and then you can unscrew the bolts with your fingers. Keep the socket and breaker bar straight and square over the bolt head as you snap the locktite crystals into powder.
Take your time and ask more questions when you get stuck.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 02-11-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i helped my buddy do his cam about two years ago. that was the first cam swap for both of us. we didnt have any problems. since then ive done 2-3 more on ls1 cars including my own by myself. jsut take your time, use common sense, and torque everything correctly. and yes make sure you keep the socket straight on the rocker bolts, they strip pretty easily.
But i didnt think they were that hard to break. i guess thats because of my huge manly muscles.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

ur rite.. i dont have that much expierence... its my first time going that far in modding my ls1 myself... ive changed an opti on an lt1 ive had before.. pretty much the most ive done.. on the ls1... ive changed plugs... and oil.. basic stuff.. pretty much it.. but im reading, and learning alot... im defenatly do one thing at a time, and ask questions before i do something that im questionable about... i think i can pull it off. unfortunatly i dont have anyone that can help me that has done it before.. the people that do kno dont have time to help.. or want alot of money... im trying to get all the knowledge i can.. and ask as many questions..so mentally ill be ready...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

ur rite.. i dont have that much expierence... its my first time going that far in modding my ls1 myself... ive changed an opti on an lt1 ive had before.. pretty much the most ive done.. on the ls1... ive changed plugs... and oil.. basic stuff.. pretty much it.. but im reading, and learning alot... im defenatly do one thing at a time, and ask questions before i do something that im questionable about... i think i can pull it off. unfortunatly i dont have anyone that can help me that has done it before.. the people that do kno dont have time to help.. or want alot of money... im trying to get all the knowledge i can.. and ask as many questions..so mentally ill be ready...

you will have help! 83,000+ ls1tech members
Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

you will have help! 83,000+ ls1tech members
lol! thats wat i like to hear!

so how will i use a two leg puller to get the bottom timing gear off? does it have a bolt in the middle like the crank pulley?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

the threads are In the crank man. lol

Im guessing you would use it the same way as removing the pulley. i think the gear is just pressed on the crank snout. not positive though. like i said, ive never removed one before
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

the threads are In the crank man. lol
o lol... dam yea i guess i have to look at it.. to get a picture.. rite now.. im just asking qustions, and not really knowing what it actually looks like... good thing ill have my laptop rite there.. ready so if i have any questions.. make sure u guys tune in on friday after 5pm! lol.. will most likly finish sumtime saturday...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

its cool man..i think your just working yourself up and getting nervous now. Just take a deep breath, dont worry, and think about starting it up after your done.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Patrick, in all honesty bro you know I did my camswap not to long ago and it just started because I had all the pieces just sitting there, so I started taking **** apart, then I got into it and it was done before I knew it. DONT TAKE SHORTCUTS MENG!!!!!!!! Give me a call if you have any questions
Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea... its alot of work.. but i dunno.. i just have this feeling that i can do it... with all the reading.. and help that is available online.. if i just take it one step at a time.. i think ill do good.. im not saying its gunna be easy.. but defenatly doable.. i mean all the people that are experts at it now.. had to have started off just like i did.. the only way were gunna really learn is doing it ourselves... thanks for all the help guys! i greatly appreciate it! and stay tunned! cuz im defenatly installing it this weekend! also.. my true duals are being shipped today!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea... its alot of work.. but i dunno.. i just have this feeling that i can do it... with all the reading.. and help that is available online.. if i just take it one step at a time.. i think ill do good.. im not saying its gunna be easy.. but defenatly doable.. i mean all the people that are experts at it now.. had to have started off just like i did.. the only way were gunna really learn is doing it ourselves... thanks for all the help guys! i greatly appreciate it! and stay tunned! cuz im defenatly installing it this weekend! also.. my true duals are being shipped today!

yeah man you can do it. its really not that hard at all.
Ah man you got duals to? thats gunna sound so bad ***. make sure you post up some vids when your done.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

MS3 Cam Install
Heres a write-up of a few things i noticed and did during my MS3 install. Hope this helps.
-Joel
Old 02-12-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, ill try to get a vid.. gunna be hard tho.. cuz i dont have a video camera... ima try to borrow one tho.. hopefully one of the guys at the shop has one.. so i can record when its on the dyno, and get some of it idling

thanks for the link! all the info i can get is a great help!