Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise after swap..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise after swap..

sorry up front for bad typing. was in motorcycle wreck friday and broke my good hand.

last week i swapped my cam w/ a tsp ms4. i installed prc springs, hard rods, ported oil pump, double roller chain, powerbond UD pulley.

when i start the car cold, everything sounds very good. but when i start it warm it makes a wierd noise like the starter is going out or something but it only last as long as i hold the key. never made it before the swap. ???

Also when car is cold, it sound badass!!! When it warms up, it akes a constant ticking noise that speeds/slows w/ rpms. i had the cats welded up to seal any leaks and it still does it. it sounds like its coming from under the car but what could it be?

only makes these noises when motor is warmed up.
Oil pressure is really low too after new pump installed... its at 40 psi when above 2k rpm but never any higher and at odle it can drop below 20 wich i dont like... i've run castrol 10w 30 in it forever but wondering if i should put thicker in to increase pressure???
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

The ticking is common after a cam swap. The oil psi thing is not good, you could have pinched the pickup tube o-ring when you put it back together. If thats the case you have to take it all apart again.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Launching!

doubt its the o-ring.. i made damn sure i didnt pinch it. pressure is veryu constant when driving although its only at 40... when idling, it drops to 20 and bounces up down w/ rpms. It only does this when hot.hen car is cold, pressue stays at 40.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
The ticking is common after a cam swap.
its loud.... 2 people commented that it sounds like rockers but why would it only be when its hot? pluss i made damn sure those were all torqed to 22lbs and all checked by another person too..
Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well its hard to tell if its normal cammed ls1 ticking without actually hearing it. Gte a quick vid if you can.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

I still say it is either the o-ring (most likely) or the pump. As the car warms up, the oil pressure is going to drop as it thins out. But if you are never getting over 40 psi there is a problem somewhere. You may want to hook up a mechanical gauge and see what it truly is. It could also be the cam retaining plate if it is not torqued (with loctite) to the correct specs. I believe that plate also has a gasket integrated in the back of it. Either way, you are going to have to tear it down again as much as you don't want to.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Griswold
I It could also be the cam retaining plate if it is not torqued (with loctite) to the correct specs. I believe that plate also has a gasket integrated in the back of it.
That is also possible and yes there is a rubber gasket on the backside of the retaining plate.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Launching!

I still say it is either the o-ring (most likely) or the pump. As the car warms up, the oil pressure is going to drop as it thins out. But if you are never getting over 40 psi there is a problem somewhere. You may want to hook up a mechanical gauge and see what it truly is. It could also be the cam retaining plate if it is not torqued (with loctite) to the correct specs. I believe that plate also has a gasket integrated in the back of it. Either way, you are going to have to tear it down again as much as you don't want to.
well thats not going to happen... I was run off the road by a bitch driving a minivan friday morning and broke my right hand. im right handed...

i made damn sure i didnt pinch the o-ring.... WTF!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

tha sucks man i wanna hear that beast!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Launching!

WOW.. I think my worst nightmare might be coming true w/ my car... i/ve already spent over my budget and havny gotten gears or a tune. broke my hand so icant work on it myself and cant afford to pay a mech... F&CK!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

If you are in south austin I could probably help you out with it....
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Can anyone shed some light on this hear or am i fucked? Never planned on saling her Car might be up for sale very soon if so!!!

I cant deal wih this. My wife just got diagnosed w cancer, i fall into this cam swap idea and spend way too much money doing so, wrecked my bike, broke my hand so i cant even work on the fuckinj car anymore and have to do it all over againn... You guys are not telling me anything possitive here!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Launching!

If you are in south austin I could probably help you out with it....
i live in cedar park and cant do **** myself sice the accident.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am sure a someone local on this site will help you fix it and will probably do most of the work for ya for nothing more than a few 12 packs, all you have to do it hand him tools with your left hand.

Getting the front cover of the engine off is pretty easy and doesent take long.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diagnosing a noise, especially in this circumstance (after cam swap), over the Internet isn't going to be easy with only a soundclip (no replacement for ears in person), and really hard with only a written description. LS1Tech is great for many things, but not really for this... Kind of like when my car was making a noise when moving that sounded like a toy drum that got faster as I drove faster. Ended up being a wheel bearing, but it could have been a million things.

Good luck with life. Things are easier to take when you car is running right. When **** goes wrong and your car is frustrating you, it really compounds everything.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Launching!

if anyone lacal wants to help mw out this weekend, pm me.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I could help ya out, that is bad news man, hope you find out what's wrong. I also believe it's something causing it to bleed off pressure, triple check the o-ring.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

i put an ls6 oil pump on mine when i did my cam, and i hav great oil pressure. i remember i almost screw up the o ring because i didnt remember to put in on the shaft of the oil pump and then put it on so i pulled it off and fixed it but i can see how it would be easy to stick the pol pump on with the o ring in the hole and pinch it or else just not getting it in straight since its at an angle anyways going in. but thats prolly your problem. or either way its a problem with your oil pump. but either way you dont have enough pressure and if you want to avoid more problems i would fix it. in fact i would go ahead and get a difft oil pump if thats ones not new. i would reccommend an ls6 because u dont wanna pull it apart again if it doesnt fix it. but if you can visibly see the problem ( o -ring pinched then replace it) with a factory replacment i might add, not just an o-ring u might have in an o ring set or something. did you loctite your rockers? torque specs is actually 24 ft lbs and i gave mine a little kick after that because one of my rockers came loose without loctite and 18 ft lbs which is what someone told me somewhere which was wrong haha. and when theyre loose YOU'LL KNOW IT HAHA sounded like the piston was slapping the valves. mine has a tapping problem at start up now and i checked all the rockers again and its fine so im going to switch to straight 30 weight and see what happens