Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang man sounds like you got a raw deal. I do commend you for staying positive this entire process. Keep your head up buddy.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I've used a shop twice and both times they've completely screwed me. I at least got something out of it this time. I was recommended to these people by a member on here. I sold some parts to him a few years ago and went over to his house. He was extremely nice and we've kept up with each other's builds over the years. He recommended the welder and gave me his phone number. I called the welder and he told me he was working at the shop where I took the car. I stopped by and checked everything out. Again, the chassis car stuff looked very nice.

I later found out that the owner of the shop just contracts his TIG out to the guy who welded my cage. He did a fantastic job of welding the cage and the welds are very nice. The issue is that the owner who has little clue bent the cage and did the rest of the mini tubbing work. I'm guessing he didn't want to pay the welder to do the rest. That all turned out like garbage.

When, I got the car back the first time I sent the member who originally recommended them a PM and asked him to call me. He said he would call me the next day. I never heard from him and sent him another message. To this day I've never heard from him.
That sucks. That looks like something I would have fabricated. I don't have any fabrication skills. Looks like if I picked up a welder (I can't weld) and tin snips (I don't have proper metal cutting tools) and eyeballed it (due to laziness) and then caused a bunch of unnecessary damage (**** happens when you're coughing up a lung due to apparent cigarette smoke inhalation).
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jesus bro..

All I can think is either quit or get as far away from green cove BFE redneck **** area you can..

This is VERY Small claims doable.. and we both should have gone to a claims court years ago for our other issues..

**** man this makes me depressed..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus dude... my heart goes out to you for what those assclowns did to you! PLEASE try to get something from them. You truly deserve a little justice!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I just read 25 pages of this build and I can't believe this thing isn't running yet. I want to be positive for you but damn. You have bought and sold enough parts to build a car from scratch twice. I understand completely time constraints because I have 2 jobs but after almost 5 years and I dunno how many thousands of dollars it's not running yet.

God...I want it to run for you!!!!! Please make the car run....please!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Bumppp
Old 04-28-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bumpppppp
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that shop is terrible.

Your still the only other hard top bgc car I've seen besides mine
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,486 Likes on 2,150 Posts

Geesh dude...ive spent the last two evenings reading this entire thing, and I'm like let me guess, he's gonna get it painted next. I've gotta hand it to you bro, you've got a great attitude about this whole thing. How long has it been since you actually worked on your engine? No offense, but you need a gameplan. I always say, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Stop all this chassis, interior stuff, and get back to the original problem...the engine. Please, if you'd drop a running engine in, you'd feel so much better about the whole project.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Wow that shop is terrible.

Your still the only other hard top bgc car I've seen besides mine
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/20516df6.jpg
My car has T Tops. I kind of wish it was a hard top though.

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Geesh dude...ive spent the last two evenings reading this entire thing, and I'm like let me guess, he's gonna get it painted next. I've gotta hand it to you bro, you've got a great attitude about this whole thing. How long has it been since you actually worked on your engine? No offense, but you need a gameplan. I always say, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Stop all this chassis, interior stuff, and get back to the original problem...the engine. Please, if you'd drop a running engine in, you'd feel so much better about the whole project.
In my house I have in 4 different locations a printed copy of the step by step plan of action in regards to getting the car running again. The issue is I actually don't have a great attitude about it any more. Continually being screwed by shops and having zero help with regards to questions, physical help, etc... has gotten old. I haven't worked on the car in 6 months because every time I look at it I get sick thinking about the amount of shitty work I have to redo from the last ******** that worked on it. When I actually get motivated to look at it again I can't figure out how to finish the wiring and the person that I originally paid to help me won't answer any of my questions.

About a month and a half ago my DD blew a head gasket. I've been limping it to work and back, but that is about as far as it can make it. The more that I think about options of getting a new car, fixing my car, etc... I realize how nice it would be to have one car that runs as I want it to. My plan is to slowly get back working on the car. I can slowly work on little things as I wait for money to come in. I just have to hope my other car survives long enough. (Knock on wood.)

This isn't a sob story or some other bullshit. I've realized that my car hasn't run in a long time and I made some bad decisions early on. If you're just going to go, "Wow, it has been a long time. That hunk'll never run," save it. There will be a point in time where I am going to need help. I'm going to make a public post / new thread and hopefully some of the people on here saying that they wish me luck can actually help me out.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Teching In

Man I've just read through this whole thread from top to bottom! Keep it up man, do what you can! If you really love this car then its worth it and its worth it in YOUR time. Not everyone else on the internet who just wants to read something nice and look at pics. Thank you that you are even sharing all this info in the first place!

Really wish you all the best with everything else in your life man (buying house etc), cos sometimes there are more important things than 4wheels and a steering like having a roof over your head and healthy family/friends etc... But if you can keep going with your hobby and passion, do it mate! Can't wait to see it finished
Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Subscribed
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

with your mechanic skills why not just replace the gasket on the DD yourself it shouldnt be to hard. it will probably run forever like that as long as you throw water in it LOL but might as well try to fix it unless you plan to get the other one up and running really soon.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
with your mechanic skills why not just replace the gasket on the DD yourself it shouldnt be to hard. it will probably run forever like that as long as you throw water in it LOL but might as well try to fix it unless you plan to get the other one up and running really soon.
I did think about it, but after crunching some numbers the time, money, and effort was not worth it. As I have been driving it for months like this it now has multiple spun bearings and is ticking like crazy. It would now need a new engine and there are multiple other things wrong with it as well. I'm simply going to drive it until it dies. My older brother lives / works out of the country 9 months out of the year and I have access to his truck during those times. If my car dies I have access to another vehicle for work and BJJ until he arrives home in December.

I have a new source of income that is working out very well. The new plan is to transport the car and all of the associated parts to a reputable shop in the southeast and have them do the work. I am completely unmotivated to work on the car further and my new source of income is consuming the free time I would have to work on the car. The goal is to have the car in a shop by New Years with an exact list of what I would like done.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

How come I cant see those cage pictures?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I've been getting a lot of PMs about my car and questions from friends so I figured I'd post a little short update. The whole cage issues from the end of 2011 got me super dejected about working on the car and I haven't done anything other than open it up and look at it since then. The past few months I've had a lot of free time to fix lots of issues with my house and my modes of daily operation as I haven't worked since November. Which has been very nice and while I have free time my budget is extremely limited.

Yesterday, the 23rd was the six year anniversary of me purchasing the car. I didn't realize this at the time, but decided to push the car out of the garage, and wash it off. I honestly can't remember the last time I washed it and it needed it. My friends and younger brother find it amusing to write things in the dust that's on it.
Name:  GJt0gWq.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  70.2 KB

I didn't go too in depth, but simply did my best to get the dust, and solid pieces of material off of it.
Name:  QPXFkor.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  89.6 KB

My main goal was simply hoping that in seeing it clean that it would motivate me to want to start working on it again. That was a success, although as I mentioned earlier my budget is limited. I started revising my plans to work towards getting the cage fixed, wiring finished, fuel pumps installed, and the interior put back together. That way it would at least look like a whole car again and have a kind of visual reminder of progress. If anyone is good with wiring and would like to donate some time or just give pointers let me know as any help would be greatly accepted.

Wiring things that need to be finished:

- Repinning harness for the coolant temperature gauge and tach
- AVIC-D3 head unit wiring
- Battery cutoff relay finished
- Shift light, gauges, and fuel pump functionality / power LEDs
- Fuel system wiring
Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Jesus ******* christ bro. I wish I lived even remotely close to you, I would love to help you finish this thing, I've been reading your threads for 5 years.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Jesus ******* christ bro. I wish I lived even remotely close to you, I would love to help you finish this thing, I've been reading your threads for 5 years.
Quoted for truth. But i personally would at least get it running in some form or fashion. Even if it's not 100% what you want, it'll help keep you from losing interest if you can drive it once in a while.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I've been getting a lot of PMs about my car and questions from friends so I figured I'd post a little short update. The whole cage issues from the end of 2011 got me super dejected about working on the car and I haven't done anything other than open it up and look at it since then. The past few months I've had a lot of free time to fix lots of issues with my house and my modes of daily operation as I haven't worked since November. Which has been very nice and while I have free time my budget is extremely limited.

Yesterday, the 23rd was the six year anniversary of me purchasing the car. I didn't realize this at the time, but decided to push the car out of the garage, and wash it off. I honestly can't remember the last time I washed it and it needed it. My friends and younger brother find it amusing to write things in the dust that's on it.

I didn't go too in depth, but simply did my best to get the dust, and solid pieces of material off of it.

My main goal was simply hoping that in seeing it clean that it would motivate me to want to start working on it again. That was a success, although as I mentioned earlier my budget is limited. I started revising my plans to work towards getting the cage fixed, wiring finished, fuel pumps installed, and the interior put back together. That way it would at least look like a whole car again and have a kind of visual reminder of progress. If anyone is good with wiring and would like to donate some time or just give pointers let me know as any help would be greatly accepted.

Wiring things that need to be finished:

- Repinning harness for the coolant temperature gauge and tach
- AVIC-D3 head unit wiring
- Battery cutoff relay finished
- Shift light, gauges, and fuel pump functionality / power LEDs
- Fuel system wiring

OP this is upsetting, its like you have a long lost love but its really just in the other part of your house. Fix that b**ch up and take her for a spin.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just moved away from Kings Bay, GA, otherwise I'd come and help you out. What fuel pump do you plan on running? I have some schematics somewhere. Same with the shift light.

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday