Sponsored by:

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blkz28
I want to thank everyone for the help, mine was a rod bearing
I'm glad you got it figured out although I wish it was something easier to deal with so you could be back on the road.

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
The only thing keeping me coming back is the pictures and satisfying feeling i get laughing out loud at all this free internet advice.

So you did a cam swap in your moms garage, installed a lid and some shitty ebay exhaust and now you're a certified Dr. ******* phil of the car world. Woo hoo...

Tyler i know you feel like everyone deserves an explanation at why you do, what and how you do.. but seriously it's getting old man.. You're kindness is only allowing some of these idiots to **** on you more and more.. This thread deserves WAY more than a pity party..

For ***** sake some guys first post was just to let you know that in all his civic to S-10 wisdom he has all the secrets to being a successful car guru.. please old school slow, enlighten us all some more!
Yeah, I'm over it too. If people want to help great and I appreciate constructive input more than people realize. People telling me my car is going to be a hunk when it is done and plagued need to keep that to themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car went off to the chassis shop on Friday:

It is really odd not seeing my car in the garage. I'm going to use the space as an opportunity to sweep the floors and throw some larger items away.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow......
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

i just got my first ls powered f body and my sympathy goes to you.,GL with ur build
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man I really hope you got a direction planned out. I think your car would of been done a long time ago if you didnt try to take on the 93 project before you even got to finish your car.

I will have about 15k into my build with the 418, mwc fab 9 with wavetrac, and full suspension and brakes i didnt skimp either i went with strano springs and koni shocks and suspension is getting all new bushings and cleaned up.

I am willing to bet you got way more than 15k into your builds and still dont have much to show for it.

what exactly are you planning that would need a 10p cage, full built rear end, and built tranny.

i really dont need the 5k 9 inch in my car but i am able to afford with my budget becuase i was able to find the engine at a great deal and bought almost all my parts used or on sale. I also set a goal to have the car done in less than a year cause theres no fun in them if you cant drive them

it seems like your building this car without a budget in mind and you want the biggest and baddest stuff on the market so you can say you got the baddest car. if I had set my budget at 10k i would of just done heads/cam and maybe a 12 bolt or s60.

call me crazy but im one of them guys who hate to see a car sitting in someones yard for YEARS as there project and it never fully gets done. I rather see the car be sold to someone who can bring it back to life

However on a side note I am glad to see you are making progress and ditched the 93 car and are sticking to this one full time.

I am not discouraging you in any way but I feel if this motor had never blown up you would not of even started this build and would of had fun modding it slowly as you drove it and kept it on the road.

I hope to see this car done soon and I hope this thing will be a truly bad *** car.
However on a positive note I belive you are a true die hard car finatic cause only one of us true car guys would devote this kind of time to a project and I see nothing wrong with building a engine in your living room so to speak as long as you keep stuff clean and assemble it correctly.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

This is actually one my favorite threads on Tech, honestly. I love the fact that YOU ARE DOING WHAT YOU WANT, IN THE ORDER YOU WANT, HOW IT YOU WANT IT! I love getting on here and seeing updates no matter what they are. I love the fact that you are taking your time and doing it right so you don't have to **** with it again. I love the fact that your doing it by yourself with not a bunch of experience! But just a quick question what is the final plan for the car? Engine, Transmission, Rear End, Suspension, Power Adder wise that is. Or do you know yet?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

any update since it went to the chassi shop?

btw this is one of my favorite threads as well I ment no disrespect in my other post. I just know you got to be having withdraws after driving the v6 for so long. I have only been away from my car for a year and i think about getting behind the wheel all the time i got it bad.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cmon Tyler..

You always have something going on..
Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would like to see the cage work...what shop did it?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I'll get everything updated shortly, but here is a short version. The chassis shop deal ended up being an absolute nightmare. I had the car towed there October 28th and I finally got it back the second time from them December 31st. This was all supposed to take a week. The cage they put in the car will more than likely have to be cut out and re-done / installed. I'll post pictures later and let everyone judge for themselves.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who'd you take it too down there?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know several guys that do side work that are welders here in kings bay that do great work if you need to get jazzed up.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Wow I just read the whole thread and I can't believe this build isn't done yet.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

While you were at the shop talking to him about all the great stuff he does that you said the last time you posted did you not look at any of his work? I hear this all the time that "I went to such and such shop, looked at his work and it was awesome" to "Got my car back looks like **** and needs to be re-done" Sometimes I wonder if the person even went to look at the work.

For your sake, quit trying to make this car an Outlaw Drag Radial car and get it running bro.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I'll get everything updated shortly, but here is a short version. The _______ shop deal ended up being an absolute nightmare. I had the car towed there _______ ___ and I finally got it back the second time from them _______ _______. This was all supposed to take a week. The ____ they _______ will more than likely have to be _____ and re-done / installed. I'll post pictures later and let everyone judge for themselves.
Feel free to use this as a template for future shop encounters. Seems to be a recurring issue, so I figured a template would speed things along when it comes time to post about it. ^
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ lulz
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Incase I've missed it..how fast are you trying to go?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tylerdj
Mine did the exact same thing but it was because it hydrolocked after I hit a deep puddle I couldn't see.

Mine did the same exact thing in the same, spot...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Feel free to use this as a template for future shop encounters. Seems to be a recurring issue, so I figured a template would speed things along when it comes time to post about it. ^
Saved for future thread use.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

started reading this years ago, subscribed because I know a guy who has a never ending Camaro
Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
any update since it went to the chassi shop?

btw this is one of my favorite threads as well I ment no disrespect in my other post. I just know you got to be having withdraws after driving the v6 for so long. I have only been away from my car for a year and i think about getting behind the wheel all the time i got it bad.
I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate the kudos. Positive comments are much more appreciated than people telling me I'm a slacker and my car is a hunk of ****. Yeah, it is going to take some serious getting used to once I get it running. My 95 is one slow , but thankfully, it has been reliable.

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Would like to see the cage work...what shop did it?
Originally Posted by 91sonomast
Who'd you take it too down there?
See below. New Age Chassis Shop - Jacksonville, Florida - Avoid at all costs.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I know several guys that do side work that are welders here in kings bay that do great work if you need to get jazzed up.
My friend and his dad work as welders. He said he would help me out with the welding. He has confidence in his ability to weld any material, but he's never done a cage in a car. We're going to talk it over soon. If he doesn't feel confident in doing it you will be receiving a PM from me.

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
While you were at the shop talking to him about all the great stuff he does that you said the last time you posted did you not look at any of his work? I hear this all the time that "I went to such and such shop, looked at his work and it was awesome" to "Got my car back looks like **** and needs to be re-done" Sometimes I wonder if the person even went to look at the work.

For your sake, quit trying to make this car an Outlaw Drag Radial car and get it running bro.
Actually, I did look at all of the work they did and the items that they had in the shop were extremely nice. They do mostly chassis cars and 25.x cages. Everything they had in the shop was a 4 link chassis car and honestly very nice. My thought process was if you can create a chassis and build a car around it you can put a 10 point in a car that's already there. I was completely wrong. He eventually told me a little later that they don't do much street car stuff after he told me the first time I came in that they do tons of street car and Fbody cages.

Notes...
- My car's interior was very clean prior to visiting the shop.
- I paid for them to install a 10 point moly cage with swing outs, mini tub my car, and install a battery mount in the spare tire well. I provided the wolfe mini tubs, battery tray, and battery.

Damage caused by shop...
- Giant mess inside the car including garbage, block of wood, cigarette butts, folded up cardboard, metal shavings, foam dust, and tons of debris.
- Melted rear shock
- Bent cutoff switch
- Paint chips on the rear quarter panels
- Bent passenger side rear wheel well lip
- Cut antenna and speaker wiring
- Broke my dome light

Pictures... If I ever get time I'll post the whole story, but it would take a long time to type it all out and I get rather depressed thinking about it. The pictures uploaded in reverse order. The ones on the first couple pages are of the cage and the rest are of the interior.

http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp40/Beaflag_VonRathburg/New%20Age%20Chassis%20Fabrication/#!cpZZ5QQtppZZ16

A few of my personal favorites:

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I've used a shop twice and both times they've completely screwed me. I at least got something out of it this time. I was recommended to these people by a member on here. I sold some parts to him a few years ago and went over to his house. He was extremely nice and we've kept up with each other's builds over the years. He recommended the welder and gave me his phone number. I called the welder and he told me he was working at the shop where I took the car. I stopped by and checked everything out. Again, the chassis car stuff looked very nice.

I later found out that the owner of the shop just contracts his TIG out to the guy who welded my cage. He did a fantastic job of welding the cage and the welds are very nice. The issue is that the owner who has little clue bent the cage and did the rest of the mini tubbing work. I'm guessing he didn't want to pay the welder to do the rest. That all turned out like garbage.

When, I got the car back the first time I sent the member who originally recommended them a PM and asked him to call me. He said he would call me the next day. I never heard from him and sent him another message. To this day I've never heard from him.

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday