Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Post...question about ASA and Hotcam...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003 | 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Default 1st Post...question about ASA and Hotcam...

First off i want to say that this board is awesome!
I had a few questions for those with ASA's and Hotcams.
I would like to get a cam soon, i was thinking hotcam because i want the hard lope with low lift, for reliability. As far as the ASA cam goes...will that pass emissions? how bout the Hotcam? Also is it alright to run either of them with stock manifolds?..at least until i get the money to do headers. Thanks for any info.
-Sean in chicago
Old 05-31-2003 | 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: 1st Post...question about ASA and Hotcam...

It would be difficult to get the ASA cam to meet emissions.

The hot cam will work fine with stock manifolds until you get headers; it has a lot of extra exhaust duration to help compensate for weak exhaust flow.
Old 05-31-2003 | 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

they both have 525 lift on both ends. ASA loaps a little harder at a 110 lsa instead of the hotcams 112. Same split i believe, just that the asa has more duration.
Old 06-01-2003 | 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks for the info...appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2003 | 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

I have hotcam, and think it is by far the best bang for the buck, and the added benefit of reliability was the main selling point for me. It has great midrange power, which is good for the street.

I will say this though, in stop and go traffic, when you are creeping along at 3 mph (like every friggin' day when I drive home from work!), it could get burdensome. Don't get me wrong, I would not change a thing, but I think the ASA hotcam might be too much for a traffic going daily driver... The problem is these cams lope pretty hard, and at very low rpms in first gear, the car will buck in traffic, so you have to play with the clutch a lot, but this will be the case with any 112lsa or lower cam.

Tommy
Old 06-02-2003 | 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks for that reply tommy...ive been watchin the board for a while now and i noticed your one of the few guys on here with the hotcam. I think its such a cool cam. its relatively cheap, and makes decent power, and sounds like a beast. I know that a lot of people dont care for it because there is always gonna be another cam that makes more power, but for my personal needs it seems perfect. I love the old muscle car sound with the reliability the low lift. And still makin decent power at a low price. Im all about mid range power also...i want a car for the street more so than the track.

How many miles have you got on that cam now? Did you have it installed? I would love to install one myself but i really dont have the time. Whats the going rate on a turn key cam install?

Hey Tommy..appreciate the reply and any extra info. thanks dude.

-Sean
Old 06-02-2003 | 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the ASA cam and it's pretty cool...this cam is actually designed to run with everything stock...so I'm sure that it would run great with the stock manifolds and only better with some headers...either way should be a good choice for you....
Old 06-02-2003 | 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

to answer about the cam install, JPR who is a sponsor, charges 350 for a cam install. not sure if he's close to you or not but it gives a general idea of the price.
Old 06-02-2003 | 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

350 for a cam install???? OMG...You cant get one installed by shop here in ATL for less than 950?!?!
Old 06-02-2003 | 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

350 for a cam install seems relatively cheap. I was hoping it would be less than 500. by the looks of the area code its not near here.

Has anyone had a cam installed from speedinc.? they are literally down the street from me. i emailed them about a week ago but have not heard back.

Old 06-02-2003 | 03:35 PM
On The Tree

just do it yourself, its really not hard at all. It may sound intimidating but if you take your time its just a matter of turning some wrenches. I installed my ASA cam, changed springs, installed hooker lt's and exhaust in just over 20 hours. It was my first time and I proceeded really slowly. As far as the differences in the ASA and Hotcams, I'd say that the Hotcam has a more steady constant lope(which I really Like) but mine is a little more chaotic, sometimes it settles into a perfect Hotcam lope, but usually its just a bit more unruley. With either one your not gonna fool anybody into thinking your stock with your car rocking back and forth at idle.
Old 06-02-2003 | 05:05 PM
Launching!

I have the ASA cam also. I love it. I am running it on stock manifolds with stock cats through a loud mouth exhaust. It sounds awsome. And with to tuning my MPH went up from 108 to 113. I was very happy with that. Also the 113 mph was in 94 degree weather. To bad my 60' sucks.
Old 06-02-2003 | 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Another vote for the Hotcam here. Sounds great and produces decent power gains. My car is an every day driver and it is very relieble. Going to put some TEA 5.3 stage 1.5 heads on next and am hoping for over 400 rwhp. Great cam for the $.
Old 06-03-2003 | 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I have the ASA cam also. I love it. I am running it on stock manifolds with stock cats through a loud mouth exhaust. It sounds awsome. And with to tuning my MPH went up from 108 to 113. I was very happy with that. Also the 113 mph was in 94 degree weather. To bad my 60' sucks.
Thats awsome... That setup is exactly what i have as far as stock manifolds and cats with the LM, howcome on your sig though it says you have true duals?