Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a cam & make a parts list

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I would think if the cam specs aren't right they would grind a new one and make it right. Does anyone know why that isn't done?

is it impossible to get the specs right?
Here is the explanation Pat G gave me with my custom reccomendation...

Originally Posted by PatG
Do not be surprised if your cam comes in a little bigger than advertised. The XFI lobes tend to run around 2 degrees bigger and the XE-R lobes are usually at least 1 degree larger, sometimes two.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to worry too much about it doesn't bother me that much.

Oh btw... My pulley arrived today!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...it begins. Find a shop for the install yet or nah
Old 12-06-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think if the cam specs aren't right they would grind a new one and make it right. Does anyone know why that isn't done?

is it impossible to get the specs right?
Being a machinist myself its near impossible to get something perfect. We have a bay door in my machine shop and if somebody opens it and the cool air gets in the shop I will have to make adjustments to keep from getting out of tolerence (usually +/- .0005). And these guys are just running one part so they don't get to run a part and make an adjustment. They're trying to get it perfect with one go. I think they do pretty good. A degree here and there isn't going to change much.

I might have to cancel my install. My car started running like **** today. Missing and sputtering and ****. I put a new MAF sensor, IAT, and TPS in it and its still doing it so I don't know. I'm going to put new o2 sensors in it in the morning but if that don't do it I'm going to have to postpone the cam install. I'm pretty upset about it, but hopefully I can get it all worked out in the morning.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/825847-patrick-g-cam-dyno-s-track-times.html

check out this thread this guy got some decent numbers with a pat g cam similar to what i want to get .....except hes a stalled auto with a sketchy tune
Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rocksws6
Being a machinist myself its near impossible to get something perfect. We have a bay door in my machine shop and if somebody opens it and the cool air gets in the shop I will have to make adjustments to keep from getting out of tolerence (usually +/- .0005). And these guys are just running one part so they don't get to run a part and make an adjustment. They're trying to get it perfect with one go. I think they do pretty good. A degree here and there isn't going to change much.

I might have to cancel my install. My car started running like **** today. Missing and sputtering and ****. I put a new MAF sensor, IAT, and TPS in it and its still doing it so I don't know. I'm going to put new o2 sensors in it in the morning but if that don't do it I'm going to have to postpone the cam install. I'm pretty upset about it, but hopefully I can get it all worked out in the morning.
Check and make sure the plug wires are all connected good. One of mine came loose before
Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you guys know there's a engine sensor fuse? I was disconnecting the battery to start my install and I heard a clicking noise from the fuse box ( I think its normal) but I thought maybe there's a fuse that's blowed or something looked at the fuse box and it said eng syn and I thought you SOB. Cam install is underway though.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^so you fixed your car?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah its fixed and I started my install today. Should be done tommorow. So far everything has went well. So I think tommorow around dinner time I will be making some noise.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you done came installs before? I have done quite a few let me know if you need any advice on anything
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lastcall190
...it begins. Find a shop for the install yet or nah
Im actually searching around for a local member to do it but i haven't picked anyone yet
Old 12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah its fixed and I started my install today. Should be done tommorow. So far everything has went well. So I think tommorow around dinner time I will be making some noise.
I'm jealous.

Hopefully I'll have everything done and posted by next Wednesday.

If I knew how to do everything correctly it would be done.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Damn. I read every post in this thread hoping to see some #'s. I am also looking at cams and can't wait to see what #'s you guys put up and hear some sound clips. I was looking at the MS4 but as with every one else I just can't make up my mind. Good luck to all with the new cams.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bonertee
Damn. I read every post in this thread hoping to see some #'s. I am also looking at cams and can't wait to see what #'s you guys put up and hear some sound clips. I was looking at the MS4 but as with every one else I just can't make up my mind. Good luck to all with the new cams.
Hopefully rocksws6 has his cam in soon and have dyno numbers
Old 12-08-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bonertee
we were all speced a similar cam- 230/232 .612”/.595” 111LSA +2, with your mods you would dyno around 380-390 on stock heads, with plenty of power under the curve
Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMmexican
have you done came installs before? I have done quite a few let me know if you need any advice on anything
This makes my second cam install. This one has been a whole lot easier than my hemi ram. I would have got it done today but I had to take my misses out for her birthday. All I have left to do is the air cleaner assembly, coil packs, and wires.
Hopefully rocksws6 has his cam in soon and have dyno numbers
Monday I will have some #'s I should have it up and running in no time tommorow. I will try to get a sound clip for you guys if I can get it to upload to my computer. F-en Vista.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Veteran

This makes my second cam install. This one has been a whole lot easier than my hemi ram. I would have got it done today but I had to take my misses out for her birthday. All I have left to do is the air cleaner assembly, coil packs, and wires.

Monday I will have some #'s I should have it up and running in no time tommorow. I will try to get a sound clip for you guys if I can get it to upload to my computer. F-en Vista.
I can't wait to hear the clip and see what it puts down on Monday
Old 12-09-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

my baby cam still makes decent numbers....

Bay- glad to see you got the ball rolling.. can not wait to see what your car makes...
Old 12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

my baby cam still makes decent numbers....

Bay- glad to see you got the ball rolling.. can not wait to see what your car makes...
Yeah we'll see how my car wakes up
Old 12-09-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the cam is in and its surprisingly tame. Alot of people had me thinking a cam with this much overlap wouldn't be a good DD. I beg to differ even on the stock tune its no problem. The car searches for idle when you first start it up but after it finds idle that's it. No problems. I'm very pleased so far the only problem I have right now is I want to beat on it but I know I should wait until I get a tune. I'm trying to upload a idle clip right now if it works I will post it up as soon as its ready.