Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTY Head bolt final torque question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TTY Head bolt final torque question

Ok, long story short I was putting a head on my LQ4 tonight and having the old man help me. I am using the factory head bolts and following the procedure properly when on a couple of the head bolts my dad let his hands slip on the angle guage while holding it for me and I am fearful that some bolts may be off. At any rate, I know the factory TTY specs, but what do those specs equate to be in final torque? 110 ft lbs? More less? Someone know what the factory head bolts finally end up being for total torque?

Thanks in advance-
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Because they are TTY bolts, its very difficult to define a torque, hence is why they give you a torque, then a degree. The operation is designed to take the bolt into the plastic range of deformation, just beyond the range of 0.2% elasticity. This causes the bolt to have a one time higher clamping force to hold the heads down. Its a one time deal as the next time (if you were to re-use the bolts) you tighten them down they will be further into the plastic range of deformation and have even less clamping force as the material at this point is approaching failure (Mechanics of Materials).

Cliff Notes: You cannot define this required force as a torque value, period.

If you want more than you'd ever want to read, put "0.2% elasticity" or
"plastic deformation" into google and read till yer hearts desire.

Last edited by Weezzer; 07-31-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

The most some of these would be off would be up to 10 degrees total between all 3 passes, should I just forget about it?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

TTT for the morning crew. Any engine builders in here?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated above, there is no clear answer. Your options are to leave it alone or re-do it. If you don't think the angle is off by much, leave it alone and keep an ey out for leaks, etc.. If you have no idea of the final angle, then buy a new bolt set and re-do the head.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Eh I'll leave it If it leaks I'll tight them all another 10-20 degrees. The heads should be able to take that much more without getting hurt, right?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a tq wrench? If so check on of the bolts that you KNOW that torqued correctly by seeing where it was torqued to. I always tq them to 75-80lbft. Most of the time we use ARP but there are a few that go back to factory. Never had any problems, I torque them to 30, 50, final 75
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by beedo
Do you have a tq wrench? If so check on of the bolts that you KNOW that torqued correctly by seeing where it was torqued to. I always tq them to 75-80lbft. Most of the time we use ARP but there are a few that go back to factory. Never had any problems, I torque them to 30, 50, final 75
Well of course I have a torque wrench. So you don't even go in degrees when using the factory bolts? You just go 30-50-75? So ultimately you just leave it at 75? I thought the factory TTY bolts ended up being around 110 ft lbs or am I wrong? I searched and searched but couldn't find anything to back it up, that's why I'm asking here.

What I was going to do is go to the first head bolt that I know is perfect and carefully keep adding torque to the wrench and let it click, then tighten the wrench some more, let it click and hopefully come to a point where once the bolt starts to barely move the wrench would "click" Meaning I would work my way up to a "click" that would make a perfectly good head bolt move like a 1/16 of a turn. Then apply that same clickable torque setting to the rest of the bolts as a last run
Old 08-02-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't use a torque wrench, either leave them alone or replace them. What you are measuring are two different things, static and dynamic friction, which will vary all over the place unless you lubed them when they went in which I doubt. TTY and torque are two completely different methods of setting bolt stretch and preload, don't mix them.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Don't use a torque wrench, either leave them alone or replace them. What you are measuring are two different things, static and dynamic friction, which will vary all over the place unless you lubed them when they went in which I doubt. TTY and torque are two completely different methods of setting bolt stretch and preload, don't mix them.
Actually I did lube all the bolts threads along with the underside of the bolt heads........ They all have a very thin coat of 5w-30 engine oil on them.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are confident they are only off by about +- 10* then leave everything alone - they'll be fine and the less you muck with them the better. If you are not confident, take the time now to replace them all and do it over.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Eh I'll just leave the damn things alone then. I am probably just being overly ****. My dad only slipped his grip on the angle guage on 2 head bolts and I know whch ones they are. Also I doubt 10 degrees is enough error to cause a leak anyways. If it leaks a bit I'll just sinch 'em down. Thanks all for the info
Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like already stated, I'd leave them alone if they are only off by a little bit. Unless you plan on spraying a large shot of nitrous or running boost, you should be fine.

Quick Reply: TTY Head bolt final torque question