Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Line Hone Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serious Line Hone Question

Ok, I just got my block back from the machine shop and they line honed it for ARP main studs. However 4 of my 5 caps were all resting in their respective places but backwards. Only main cap 5 was resting correctly. Do I need to have the whole block line honed again? What direction do the cam bearings needs to face? What can I do to check my clearances etc?

Thanks so much!

Edit (I think I'm F%$*ED):

Correct cap placement:

Post engine balance:

Post line hone:

Last edited by Halloran; 08-30-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I wouldn't touch a thing. Call the machine shop, tell them what has happened. If you turn the caps around in their correct placement, it would leave a lip at the parting lines.

If they give you any ****, feel free to post the name, number, and address of the shop.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

I'm just so disappointed right now. I wanted to get the damn thing running by Labor Day. It's almost like they didn't take any precautions as to where the cap placement went. Maybe they didn't give a ****? All I know is that come Tuesday I'll be calling them to get refunds and have the work done right.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah that does suck. All of the other machining operations (surfacing, boring, honing) are done in relation the main line too so changing the align hone could effect other dimensions of the block. Just a litle knowledge you may want to be armed with when you talk to the machine shop.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Restricted User

OMFG! They only got # 5 right in that picture! I'm guessing this shop has never done work on a Gen III block? I think you're screwed man, if after they turn them around, machine again, and measure, you may be lookind for a new block. Good catch on that man!
Old 08-30-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Well, not much I can do at this point...at least until Tuesday when I get to find out whether or not I'm going to need a new block. I swear, all bad things seem to happen right around the same time. First it's the wrong rods, then an incorrect balance, then recalled valvesprings, then an incorrect line hone. Murphy seems to follow me everywhere. The shop that did my work has been in business for over 30 years and I figured they would know at least what the hell was going on. I was shown a 600 + inch Brodix aluminum block when I was there yesterday. I can't imagine them screwing up an engine like that let alone a little LS1. It's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Now it's time to go drink my sorrows away and enjoy what's left of my Labor Day!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 PM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by socmguy
OMFG! They only got # 5 right in that picture! I'm guessing this shop has never done work on a Gen III block? I think you're screwed man, if after they turn them around, machine again, and measure, you may be lookind for a new block. Good catch on that man!

No one in the Reno area has done LSx crap. I drove my block 500 plus miles to a shop that had LSx experience. You can shave the caps down and re line hone it. I really really doubt the block is junk. Any word on how "out" the mains were?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

I went and picked it up in Fallon, NV and the machine shop just said "Yep it's ready to go". So I guess it's stupid me on my behalf to take their "professional" word for it and drive away with the motor. Guess I won't be doing that anymore. Once I find out more I'll give you a call Dusty. I'm just sick and tired of driving all the way out to Fallon and back. I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with it anymore. This project has gone on long enough. It's time to kick *** and take names.