Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
WS6TransAm01,
Like i stated earlier your car is bad and you can shift your *** off, but
how can you expalin that your car runs the same or better ET's and MPH than
car's with more cubes, or with turbos/blowers and nitrous? Heads and cam can only do
so much and since your car is super fast i'm really curious how you can out run the
cars i just mentioned? Is your car logged out? I would appreciate it if you can shed
some light on this. Thanks.
logged out? I am not sure what that means...

As far as running faster then cars with strokers, that is not my fault, that is the fault of Stroker guys now knowing how to drive or build motors...

My friend Mark with a CARTEK 441 in a Trans am with a TH350 runs 9.6's @ 138-?, Mike Romain with his CARTEK 441 many years ago in a C5 with a 4L60E went 9.95 @ 137, Brent with a CARTEK 427 went 10.1 @ ?139? Im an not seeing how I am faster and or quicker then guys with strokers?

Yes I also know some people with 383's and so forth that are slower then I am, a lot of it is shifting, a lot of it is the total package. I am sure I can go and build a 4xx cid motor and slap it into something or other and it will run like ****. CARTEK has worked long and hard to get the power into the car, and I have put in a lot of time trying to figure out my suspention, Ive called Madman asking for advice, and he helped me a lot. Ive spend time with CARTEK R/D'ing a clutch that can shift like butter, and I have A LOT of passes in my car trying to dial in my shifting. That is why the car runs as well as it does.

Also, people keep getting into the grove as was stated before in this thread that they want a 215cc head because it will be better on the street... well guess what? Your car will not see 2500rpm at the track, so who gives a **** about low end torque? I knew that I wanted to run a number, and I knew that I wanted to spin the motor as high as it will go before I float the valves, and that is what I was given. Sure I dont have 400Ft/Troque at 3000rpm, but I dont care, I shift at 7000 and launch at 6500+ so all I care about is 4500-7200rpm. If I roll into it in a low RPM on the street, when it hits 4400 or so, it feels like all hell is breaking loose!

So the people who are slower then me, might have chosen to have "low end torque for the street" I chose to drive like a grandma on the street shifting at 2500rpm, and spin the bitch to the moon at the track, because THAT is where I need power. I dont need power on the street, I need it at the track.

I have learned very little in life, but what I have learned is you can never have it both ways. If you want a setup with a 215cc head that feels awesome from 2000 to 5000, guess what? by 6000 it will run out of steam, and shifting a H/C car at 6200 is simply queer... you will never run a number like that.

Take a poll among the fastest H/C cars out there, and ask them where they shift? Ask them about their "low end torque" Cant have it both ways, that is why its fast at the track...

I think... lol

Hopefuly with some small improvements I can beat my 10.32 this fall, its going to be hard, but I'll give it a go...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow..nice write up...Yeah it's gonna be tough to beat your times...good luck
anyway.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
CARTEK Racing

Wow..nice write up...Yeah it's gonna be tough to beat your times...good luck
anyway.
lol, thanks!

Actualy, reading it again, it seems a little rude, so if it is, I appologize lol
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Why you say that? I didn't think it was rude. The only thing i disagree with you
is that not everyone wants to spin their motor to 7k or higher. And they dont want to
remove alot of their parts to save wait. Your goals can be completely different than
a guy that only wants to run 11.5's but in a full weight car with all its options and that
isn't geared or stalled to death, then there's the issue if the car is actaully still a street car. I know i'm not looking to break the sound barrier..lol. And i dont think that short shifting a car is considered queer like you stated. Some might think it's queer to run the motor to 7k rpms..lol. See it works both ways.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

over the years, and i mean 20+ years of racing on the street/track i can tell you that the fastest "track cars" are pigs on the street, a track car with a 5000 stall converter that has a license plate, turn signals, a registration...and listening to the bs that its a street car is crap. for me having a car that makes no low end power is of no value. i blew the doors off a 500+ rwhp 07 z06 this past weekend on the street. if i want to go fast at the track, i'll buy another busa and bolt on a nlr race kit, build an engine with the good stuff and run low 8's at 180+. either way YOU and only YOU needs to decide which way you are going to go.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9secondsflat
over the years, and i mean 20+ years of racing on the street/track i can tell you that the fastest "track cars" are pigs on the street, a track car with a 5000 stall converter that has a license plate, turn signals, a registration...and listening to the bs that its a street car is crap. for me having a car that makes no low end power is of no value. i blew the doors off a 500+ rwhp 07 z06 this past weekend on the street. if i want to go fast at the track, i'll buy another busa and bolt on a nlr race kit, build an engine with the good stuff and run low 8's at 180+. either way YOU and only YOU needs to decide which way you are going to go.
Now too me your thinking is basically the same as me...i cant call a car thats got 4.56 gears with a motor that spins to 7k with 4X heads/cam setup thats meant for a 400+ cube motor and still call it a street car. To me thats a race car. I feel the same way, to me low end torque is how i want my car setup.
But i'm still skepical about Alex's car running 10.3's at that MPH on a stock bottom end. First of all the rod bolts wouldn't hold, so the rods or atleast the rod bolts aren't what came with the car. And man his write up was a mile long when i only asked hows the car beat strokers, blowers, and turbo setups with just a n/a setup. When he wrote all of that i got the feeling he was more trying to convince himself instead of me..lol. But whatever i dont care or have the time to figure someones setup out, i got my own problems..lol.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
CARTEK Racing

Now too me your thinking is basically the same as me...i cant call a car thats got 4.56 gears with a motor that spins to 7k with 4X heads/cam setup thats meant for a 400+ cube motor and still call it a street car. To me thats a race car. I feel the same way, to me low end torque is how i want my car setup.
But i'm still skepical about Alex's car running 10.3's at that MPH on a stock bottom end. First of all the rod bolts wouldn't hold, so the rods or atleast the rod bolts aren't what came with the car. And man his write up was a mile long when i only asked hows the car beat strokers, blowers, and turbo setups with just a n/a setup. When he wrote all of that i got the feeling he was more trying to convince himself instead of me..lol. But whatever i dont care or have the time to figure someones setup out, i got my own problems..lol.
HAHAHAHA!

If you want you cant watch as my motor comes apart, you can measure and look to your heart's delight!

But its its a stock bottom end, with stock rods, stock pistons, stock crank, stock ls1 block, stock rings, stock bearings... Are you going to pay for the disasembly/reasembly? I doubt it...

I dont need to convince myself, I know whats in the motor. I was there when it was put together. I helper Roy bolt on my heads... So I need not cinvincing.

I figured you had a genuine question as apposed to a cheaply vailed attempt to take a stab at my car. As far as the heads being meant for a 400+ cube motor, the problem there is that you are reading a website that has not been updated for close to 4 years now. Yes 4 years ago a 4X designation was for a stroker head, but its not so any longer.

A "street car" is what you make it. To me its mild street maners, good gas milage, and low maintenence. In the 2 years that Ive had these heads/cam, I have driven the car all over the place, with my mom, grand ma, and GF in the car. I sit in traffic, it does not over heat, does not tire my left foot playing in stop and go traffic with the clutch, and I never had a problem starting it in the cold or after siting for weeks at a time. In that time the only maintenence I have done is clean my K&N and change the oil a bunch of times. Ive driven it in the heat, Ive driven it in the cold, in the rain, in the sun. Drive it to the track, ran 10.3 @ 132, and drove home while getting 25+mpg on the highway. Yes I have 4.56's but Im on a 28" DR giving me 2200rpm at 75mph which is perfect for me.

THAT Makes a street car... oh and I have no problems roasing 28" DRs from 2000rpm 1st gear roll in... that enough power for me on the street... I dont race on the street anyway, so power is not a catagory for making it a street car for me.

Once again, if you want to put ur money where your mouth is, Ill meet you ar CARTEK for a tear-down anytime! But I better see that cash in hand first...

Are you that doubtful of Rob Z running 10.2 on his stock bottom end? What about Six Speeds Inc running 10.1 @134+ on a stock bottom end H/C car? Or are you just skeptical of me because its a CARTEK car? lol
Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
HAHAHAHA!

If you want you cant watch as my motor comes apart, you can measure and look to your heart's delight!

But its its a stock bottom end, with stock rods, stock pistons, stock crank, stock ls1 block, stock rings, stock bearings... Are you going to pay for the disasembly/reasembly? I doubt it...

I dont need to convince myself, I know whats in the motor. I was there when it was put together. I helper Roy bolt on my heads... So I need not cinvincing.
you have upgraded rod bolts right? Even if you do i would still call that a stock bottom end considering everything else is stock. By the way your car is badass man
Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

years back and i am going back to 92 when i ran at the motor sport nationals...i know booo, booo...blue oval...hiss, hiss... i ran 10.85 with a vortech, i drove my car every day, to and from work and to and from the motorsport nationals- rockville, md to maple grove...i think it was about 3 hours each way. that was and still is very, fast for a street car. that being said was my car reliable??? i blew up 9 Performance Automatic c-4 trannys in two years. Thank G-d they sponcered me and i didnt pay for rebuilds. did it run hot??? if i sat at a stop light for more than 2 minutes i could watch the temp rise from 180-220 that was even with a huge aluminum radiator and electric fans. my bottom end was stock- never apart, never part of the "over the crank club". i remember at the 92 nationals i saw a turbo 5.0 run 9.70's at over 139 mph. i was in awe....i was running 123-125 and this guy was turning 139. after the first round i went over to this guy ( i have pics, his name escapes me- not gene deputy, lee rutter but a no name guy at that point. he told me his "bottom end was stock" i asked him what his car made for power and he said over 700 hp. than the magic question, how long does it stay together, he said "we get one ford fun weekend with the engine before we blow it up" does this mean a head gasket i inquired? he said no the rods or crank lets go all over the track. he had plates, he had a registration...he had most of his interior- 6 point cage.. fast HELL YES, street car...HELL NO.
every car, and i mean every car running in the 10's EXCEPT ME, had a trailer with a tow truck, pick up or similar pulling it. I had so many arguments with people over that three day period as to what makes a street car that i TOOK WHITE SHOE POLISH AND WROTE ON MY REAR WINDOW " Real Street Cars Dont Need A Trailer" this pissed over so many people that i remember after i made several passes people were comeing up to me saying the announcer made a statment, "that guy must have a death wish"....
i am at the point in my life that i do what i want, when i want and dont give a rats *** if someone has a faster car....i can blow the doors of ANYONE, all i have to do is open up my wallet and write a check and tell the builder i want a car that will go X fast...
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

your a fool.

Alex's car is just a car setup for the 1/4 dialed in, (gearing combo) and he can drive his *** off. His car makes good power at least 490rwhp.. The car doesnt claim stock weight, yes its lightened some thats why it can run those #s your used to seeing strokers turbos blowers running.

now ..
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

I have the 4x package on my car also with a stock bottom end, and I've driven back and forth from North Carolina 4 times with it. 9 hr trip both ways without a single problem other than restraining myself from embarrassing a couple cars here and there. I can attest to Carteks ability to make a package that flat out performs I dont have much time behind the wheel of my setup but the last time I ran it I went 10.7 @ 128 with a 1.670 60'. I weighed in at a little over 3450 if I remember correctly. Since then I took some weight out and installed a Sphon drag bar and rear QA1's and some 275lb front springs this year I'm hoping for 10.45-10.50 and I cant drive half as well as Alex can. Like he said its all in the combo and thats the advantage when you go to Cartek you get proven setups. Also I have beaten several procharged cars with my setup, one with a stock bottom end and a p1 and the other with a d1 not sure on the mods or cubes. Cartek gets my vote hands down!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
your a fool.

Alex's car is just a car setup for the 1/4 dialed in, (gearing combo) and he can drive his *** off. His car makes good power at least 490rwhp.. The car doesnt claim stock weight, yes its lightened some thats why it can run those #s your used to seeing strokers turbos blowers running.

now ..
wow... I like you a lot!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You should build your car to suite your own needs. That's why I ended up with two bottomless pits. Good Luck with your build.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 9secondsflat
I had so many arguments with people over that three day period as to what makes a street car that i TOOK WHITE SHOE POLISH AND WROTE ON MY REAR WINDOW " Real Street Cars Dont Need A Trailer" this pissed over so many people that i remember after i made several passes people were comeing up to me saying the announcer made a statment, "that guy must have a death wish"
lol i wish i could have seen that..i also agree with you 100% that a real street car drives to and from the track
Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

wow... I like you a lot!
See thats your problem Alex when anyone doubts you you get all pissy and then
your Cartek buddies group together and start balling like babies...First of all u took the first dig calling it queer cause not everyone wants to shift as high as you do. So your rod bolts aren't stock and i even said that the bolts wont hold the rpm you shift at, so what other **** isn't stock, or what else did you leave out? You can write a 10 page responds but get used too it NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO AGREE WITH YOU its a fact. I never said your car wasn't bad but you expect guys to believe a head/cam and bolt on setup runs those times and you get all assed up when anyone ask you specific questions or doesn't see things your way.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
You should build your car to suite your own needs. That's why I ended up with two bottomless pits. Good Luck with your build.
Thanks i appreciate it...i got a feeling that my car will end up being a money
pit..lol. Between beefing up the tranny, a strong stall, 12 bolt rear and so on..lol.
And you know its a matter of time that i'll need a forged bottom end. Very expensive hobby
Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
your a fool.

now ..
The car isn't claimed to be stock weight right? He's got it posted that it's
3,300 lbs race weight. Thats closer to stock weight than not. Where do you buy your crack dude?? You expect us to believe that a 4Xhead/cam and bolt on car
can exceed what a bigger cube motor with N2O or boost can do??? Yeah OK...theres more to the car thats all. And it doesn't matter how good you can drive...you still need hp, tq, and a light *** car to begin with. SO you
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sickss228
I have the 4x package on my car also with a stock bottom end, and I've driven back and forth from North Carolina 4 times with it. 9 hr trip both ways without a single problem other than restraining myself from embarrassing a couple cars here and there. I can attest to Carteks ability to make a package that flat out performs I dont have much time behind the wheel of my setup but the last time I ran it I went 10.7 @ 128 with a 1.670 60'. I weighed in at a little over 3450 if I remember correctly. Since then I took some weight out and installed a Sphon drag bar and rear QA1's and some 275lb front springs this year I'm hoping for 10.45-10.50 and I cant drive half as well as Alex can. Like he said its all in the combo and thats the advantage when you go to Cartek you get proven setups. Also I have beaten several procharged cars with my setup, one with a stock bottom end and a p1 and the other with a d1 not sure on the mods or cubes. Cartek gets my vote hands down!
Just curious...what the cost for this whole setup that gets a 346 stock bottom end to run 10.3's @ over 130+ mph? I want to know the whole setup.
490rwhp with about 450rwtq isn't beating any well tuned D1SC with good heads/cam and suspension. Especially on the street from a punch or from a launch.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 09-22-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

HAHAHAHA!

I figured you had a genuine question as apposed to a cheaply vailed attempt to take a stab at my car. As far as the heads being meant for a 400+ cube motor, the problem there is that you are reading a website that has not been updated for close to 4 years now. Yes 4 years ago a 4X designation was for a stroker head, but its not so any longer.

A "street car" is what you make it. To me its mild street maners, good gas milage, and low maintenence. In the 2 years that Ive had these heads/cam, I have driven the car all over the place, with my mom, grand ma, and GF in the car. I sit in traffic, it does not over heat, does not tire my left foot playing in stop and go traffic with the clutch, and I never had a problem starting it in the cold or after siting for weeks at a time. In that time the only maintenence I have done is clean my K&N and change the oil a bunch of times. Ive driven it in the heat, Ive driven it in the cold, in the rain, in the sun. Drive it to the track, ran 10.3 @ 132, and drove home while getting 25+mpg on the highway. Yes I have 4.56's but Im on a 28" DR giving me 2200rpm at 75mph which is perfect for me.

THAT Makes a street car... oh and I have no problems roasing 28" DRs from 2000rpm 1st gear roll in... that enough power for me on the street... I dont race on the street anyway, so power is not a catagory for making it a street car for me.

Once again, if you want to put ur money where your mouth is, Ill meet you ar CARTEK for a tear-down anytime! But I better see that cash in hand first...

Are you that doubtful of Rob Z running 10.2 on his stock bottom end? What about Six Speeds Inc running 10.1 @134+ on a stock bottom end H/C car? Or are you just skeptical of me because its a CARTEK car? lol

LS1Speed admits their car is light weight and a track car. But LS1Speed back in the day didn't stretch the truth about their ringer cars. Now i will admit that Dave was apart of Cartek back in those days and i caught him lying a few times about some customers cars...but i will bet that Julio is putting those days behind him. I just had people i knew what were alittle upset about their Cartek head/cam setups. But they were told if they paid a **** load more they could do whatever to get a n/a car down into the mid 10's. Now the block is stock then what the heck can cost that much more to go from low 11's to mid 10's? Alittle sleezy to me.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

But all things said and done i did start out telling Alex how nice his car is and i fell
into the trap that the times aren't correct. Well Alex you should be proud of your car i know i would be. Sorry if it got out of hand but u are a young guy and when people question things about your car you cant lash out eveytime someone doesn't look at things like you do. Doesn;t mean your right or wrong its just your opinion and thats great. But give up the whole" i'll tear down my car and prove it to you if you pay" blah blah, thats like its 1999 all over again.

Quick Reply: What are the BEST HEADS for a N/A 346?