Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roughly how much power will i make?/help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008 | 10:04 PM

Default roughly how much power will i make?/help

with this set up. any recommendations are welcome. im a newb to this world or engines.

42,000 mile ls1
stock ls6 heads PRC dual valve springs
magic stick 3 cam
aftermarket pushrods
aftermarket roller rockers
long tube headers 1 3/4
ls7 lifters
ls6 ported oil pump
ls6 intake mani
ported ls1 throttle body
ls7 clutch

Last edited by -weekendwarrior-; 09-23-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2008 | 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -weekendwarrior-
with this set up. any recommendations are welcome. im a newb to this world or engines.

42,000 mile ls1
patriot 6.0 cnc ported heads, 59cc combustion chambers, 2.08 intake valve, 1.60 exhaust, gold dual valve springs, ti retainers
aftermarket pushrods (harland?)
aftermarket roller rockers (manley?)
long tube headers
slp underdrive pulley
slp maf
ls6 intake mani
ported ls1 maf
ls7 clutch
gm performance custom cam (unsure of duration yet, fairly mild)
ac eliminated

the motor is half way together and i already have the heads and headers but if you have any experience or thoughts i should go with something else let me know

thanks
What are your power goals? How is the car to be used?
LOL, you listed a LS1 MAF & SLP MAF. Just keep the stock one.
I'm not sure if those heads would be best for an NA application. I'd prefer using LS6 heads or 5.3 liter heads. You didn't mention what cam you are using...I hope you aren't keeping the stock one in there. I'd get a custom grind cam if I were you. If you open up the block, get a ported LS6 oil pump and a LS2 timing chain.

EDIT: I see the cam listed now, my bad.
Old 09-15-2008 | 10:21 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

42,000 mile ls1
patriot 6.0 cnc ported heads, 59cc combustion chambers, 2.08 intake valve, 1.60 exhaust, gold dual valve springs, ti retainers
long tube headers
slp underdrive pulley
slp maf
ls6 intake mani
ported ls1 maf
ls7 clutch
ac eliminated

the motor is half way together and i already have the heads and headers but if you have any experience or thoughts i should go with something else let me know

thanks
maybe 430hp, 395trq.
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
What are your power goals? How is the car to be used?
LOL, you listed a LS1 MAF & SLP MAF. Just keep the stock one.
I'm not sure if those heads would be best for an NA application. I'd prefer using LS6 heads or 5.3 liter heads. You didn't mention what cam you are using...I hope you aren't keeping the stock one in there. I'd get a custom grind cam if I were you. If you open up the block, get a ported LS6 oil pump and a LS2 timing chain.

EDIT: I see the cam listed now, my bad.
sorry i fixed the maf thing lol

i already have a few things i have a brand new timing chain and gear set, and a new ls1 oil pump im porting. i have a buddie that has over 20 years gm experience thats helping me along the way. he swore those heads will give me the best power. they're already decked and ready for bolt on. i was worried they'd lower my compression but he says otherwise.

my power goals are between 450-500 on 93 pump gas. i know its a bit of a reach but i can have the motor out of the car as long as i want. he says the stock maf wont handle much over stock but i've seen that hey can handle up to 500 on the forums. ive just got so many different answers from everyone i'd like something in stone.
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by JPH
maybe 430hp, 395trq.
i'd be happy with that.
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:55 AM

the motor isnt going in the average car and you guys would hate me if i told you what its going in. the car will beigh about 2700lbs with the Ls in it.
Old 09-16-2008 | 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

my power goals are between 450-500 on 93 pump gas. i know its a bit of a reach but i can have the motor out of the car as long as i want. he says the stock maf wont handle much over stock but i've seen that hey can handle up to 500 on the forums. ive just got so many different answers from everyone i'd like something in stone.
The stock MAF will work fine.

the motor isnt going in the average car and you guys would hate me if i told you what its going in. the car will beigh about 2700lbs with the Ls in it.
Another LS-powered Foxbody huh? I can see why they are popular.

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2008 | 10:55 AM

nope haha 92 nissan 240sx im doing a convertible and as far as i know i'll be the first. there are other people that have done the newer 95-98 240's and people that have done hatches and couple but to my knowledge i cant find one in a convertible.

the first pic is of my car the other 2 are ones ive found online.

please dont hate

Old 09-16-2008 | 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

nope haha 92 nissan 240sx...

please dont hate
I don't hate at all, should be frikin fast!

Damn as if the power to weight ratio wasn't great enough, they wen't and strapped on a Maggie.
Old 09-16-2008 | 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

240s are badass. At least it's not another LS1 FD RX7...
Old 09-16-2008 | 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by b00sted
240s are badass. At least it's not another LS1 FD RX7...
I think FD's are badass. I have seen a lot of LS-powered FC's, but not a nice FD. A '93 would be nice.
Old 09-16-2008 | 01:24 PM

thanks for your support guys. i figured some people would hate to hear about it. im going to have major traction issues but i dont care i'd rather pass somebody with a trail of smoke anyway =)
Old 09-16-2008 | 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

How big's the cam... that matters alot. When you say 450-500 hp... i hope thats not RWHP.
Old 09-16-2008 | 04:02 PM

i was hoping for 450-500 rwhp or is that unreasonable?

and what are your experiences with the ls7 clutch. will it hold up to my motor? the car will be a daily driver and a occasional strip car. im not gonna put alot into making it hook up because my drivetrain will not like it
Old 09-16-2008 | 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

42,000 mile ls1
long tube headers
slp underdrive pulley
slp maf or stock?
ls6 intake mani
ported ls1 throttle body
ls7 clutch
ac eliminated
i was hoping for 450-500 rwhp or is that unreasonable?
^^^Yeah.
You'd have to step up to a FAST 90/90 or better and a BIG cam.
Old 09-16-2008 | 04:19 PM

i heard with stock pistons i couldn't run a big cam with those heads because the valves would hit the piston. or is this false too?

and i was considering the fast intake and throttle body down the road its just the 1k i'd throw into the intake would keep me from getting the motor in even longer.
Old 09-16-2008 | 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

i heard with stock pistons i couldn't run a big cam with those heads because the valves would hit the piston. or is this false too?

and i was considering the fast intake and throttle body down the road its just the 1k i'd throw into the intake would keep me from getting the motor in even longer.
All I'm saying is that a stock LS1 bottom end w/ a mild cam, heads, ported TB, and a LS6 intake is NOT going to make 450-500rwhp.
You can run fairly large cams with stock heads & bottom end w/o having to flycut the pistons (Torquer 2, MS3, Typhoon, etc) but with those heads I don't know how it changes the equation. If you run a cam like an MS4 with stock block and heads than flycutting may be needed. My buddy fly cut his pistons and it wasn't a big deal.
Old 09-16-2008 | 04:41 PM

im coming from the tuner world and flycutting a piston is a scary thought but i may end up doing that.

thanks for the info and im not looking for a pissing match say what ya want if im being a dumbass i need to hear it haha

the ms4 cam is a badass cam ive seen videos of it and i was considering picking one up but i can get deals on gm parts so it would be cheaper to go with the gm custom cam. i could always have them make a ms4 cam by sending them the durations and lsa
Old 09-16-2008 | 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

im coming from the tuner world and flycutting a piston is a scary thought but i may end up doing that.

thanks for the info and im not looking for a pissing match say what ya want if im being a dumbass i need to hear it haha

the ms4 cam is a badass cam ive seen videos of it and i was considering picking one up but i can get deals on gm parts so it would be cheaper to go with the gm custom cam. i could always have them make a ms4 cam by sending them the durations and lsa
Oh, no I'm not arguing, just trying to clearly state something. 500rwhp is not cheap and easy to hit with a stock 346. Like they say, "there's no replacement for displacement."
The only way that you'll know for sure whether or not flycutting is required is to check and double check your piston to valve clearance. My buddy has a MS3 in his car and another had a MS4 in his, they are badass cams. They are large cams though.
Old 09-16-2008 | 05:06 PM

ok thanks man. i gotta talk to my friend about it and see where i stand. once i get my cam i can get my heads on.

do you think i can atleast get 400hp and 400 tq on pump gas? rwhp that is

my old 4 banger had 340rwhp and 302tq but that was from a 2.0 turbo.