Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! (Broke a bolt while installing headers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! (Broke a bolt while installing headers)

I was installing S&P headers on my LS2 and on the very last bolt I snapped the head right off like an idiot . Now I know I need to drill this sucker out but will this cause any damage to the head? Like cracking? Is there any other way to get this thing out? Keep in mind there is no part of the bolt sticking out.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You didnt post any pics, but if yours is like this guys situation, then you are in luck.

This guy did a great job.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-problem.html
Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Start With A Small Drill Bit..

Wait..Center punch With the finest punch youve got. and make it dead center...Then Start with smallest drill bit you got...make sure youve made room to get the drill straight...PATIENCE IS THE KEY...

drill a big enough hole for the smallest extractor youve got..i reccomend drilling all the way thru to get a good Grab with the extractor.

Make sure to insert the extractor in the drilled slot, deep.
Then let the Tool Do its Job.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Did the same thing on mine have fun you should be fine if you follow the above explanation, its just a pain pullin heads for nothin
Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DO NOT USE a tiny extractor!!!! They are carbon steel, if you break a tiny extractor with in the broken bolt, your in a completley different world of hurt! Drill small and work your way up to 3/4 the diameter of the broken bolt then use the extractor of that size.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Launching!

I hate those "EZ outs" Try a left handed drill bit first... then I would use the biggest EZ out you can fit... it is extremely easy to break them, and you cannot drill through them if you break it inside the hole you made... then you would have to remove the head and have it lazer cut out, then helicoil and stud it.... That sucks....
Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have done in the past, drill it to a size smaller than the bolt. Then tap it with a left handed tap. After that get a left handed bolt and thread it in. That way you can just loosen the broken bolt right out since you used a left handed thread, it will always get tighter as you loosen the stuck bolt.
Ez-outs usually break and then you are really screwed. I have done the above along with welding a bolt to the broken one. That works good when you can get to it

Give us some pictures, and good luck
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mebuildit
I have done in the past, drill it to a size smaller than the bolt. Then tap it with a left handed tap. After that get a left handed bolt and thread it in. That way you can just loosen the broken bolt right out since you used a left handed thread, it will always get tighter as you loosen the stuck bolt.
Ez-outs usually break and then you are really screwed. I have done the above along with welding a bolt to the broken one. That works good when you can get to it

Give us some pictures, and good luck

This is a wicked cool idea.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

You guys left out the first step..which is cry like a *****. This kind of stuff massively sucks.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

i take them out all the time i use my mig welder and slowly build the bolt back out then weld nut on it take it out not that bad
Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Default Hey

Hey wow thats ME, thanks for the props. Just make that jig with the steel plate and you will be fine.
Ed
Originally Posted by cutlass_455
You didnt post any pics, but if yours is like this guys situation, then you are in luck.

This guy did a great job.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-problem.html

Quick Reply: HELP! (Broke a bolt while installing headers)