Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which Borla XR1 muffler? (or alternative suggestions) TOO LOUD - HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which Borla XR1 muffler? (or alternative suggestions) TOO LOUD - HELP !

see my signature for setup - currently running 11:1 compression with long-tubes into y pipe (2 in - 1 out) that goes back into single stocker muffler (1 in - 2 out) then out to stock tips - this is too crazy loud - sounds like I'm running open headers - looking to quiet down current situation without comprising power (perhaps even gaining power?) - should I switch over to dual muffler setup vs. y pipe? I used to like loud systems until this set-up which just crosses the line and sounds like a cheap obnoxiously loud *** lopey engine. I've read food thing about Borla XR1 muffler but there are EVEN multiple XR1 muffler options. Haven't looked into the costs, complexities & pro's & con's of an automatic cutout system yet. Any guidance here appreciated. Trying to keep budget reasonable but not willing to sacrifice power or quality in the process.

Thanks as alway for your feedback.

Sincerely,

T. Sully
Ellenton, FL

Last edited by bossho; 10-23-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

First thing I would look at would be the Y Pipe. I had a kooks Y pipe that made the exhaust very loud. If the merge is not done exactly right it can amplify the exhaust pulses. Look at doing a Flowmaster Y where the two pipes from the headers merge. Do a search for "Flowmaster Y".

I would also look into putting some magnaflow metal cats back on. These will help quite it down as well. They flow well and only cost a few hp.

I had a single 4" XR1 muffler out back but was still to loud for my tastes. I added an additional Magnaflow 4" race muffler inline and it was still a little too loud. I changed to a Magnaflow single 4" in dual 3" out which is nice and quite.

DJ
Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

bump for add'l feedback / suggestions
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bossho
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got kooks 2" stepped to 1 7/8" out a 3.5" collector to a kooks 3.5" ypipe to 4" out and a 4" mufflex catback with a 4" Borla xr1 outback. Its nice and mellow while cruising and idling. But really comes alive when you romp on it. I love it. Also I picked up two mph by ditching the spintech muffler...
Old 10-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Teching In

maybe try what pat g did to his g8,he put a magnaflow merge mid muffler and some cherry bomb vortex rear cans ,sounds really nice on the video ,there is a thread on here about it ,killed all the drone and lost no hp.
i have since fitted a magnaflow to my car and its killed all my drone and quietened down my exhaust a heap ,buts still sounds tuff so to speak
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I've got kooks 2" stepped to 1 7/8" out a 3.5" collector to a kooks 3.5" ypipe to 4" out and a 4" mufflex catback with a 4" Borla xr1 outback. Its nice and mellow while cruising and idling. But really comes alive when you romp on it. I love it. Also I picked up two mph by ditching the spintech muffler...
is "spintech" you're referring to the stock one (single inlet and dual outlets)?

do you happen to know the diameters of the inlets and outlets? (simply to save me from climbing under to measure - (reason I ask is because I dont have a low profile jack "yet" so I have to jerry rig my jack when I lift my car- its a bit of a hassle)

also on the muffler dual outlets - mid pipes being the same 3" do bigger (or smaller) than 3" muffler outlet pipes & tips offer any advantage?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssutedave
maybe try what pat g did to his g8,he put a magnaflow merge mid muffler and some cherry bomb vortex rear cans ,sounds really nice on the video ,there is a thread on here about it ,killed all the drone and lost no hp.
i have since fitted a magnaflow to my car and its killed all my drone and quietened down my exhaust a heap ,buts still sounds tuff so to speak
i had cherry bombs glass packs on my f-150 - cool old school sound & I'm guessing the Magnaflow merge mid muffler would help in extending he cherry bombs life cycle. - this is best idea I've heard so far (at least imho)
will let you know when complete which way I end up going with this and results for those interested who have same dilemma today and/or that might fall into same dilemma someday.

Your feedback is much appreciated,

Thanks !
Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used to run qtp 1-3/4" headers to a set of borla xr1s, i think the 14", if they make something close to that.. It had bad clearance and was loud as ****. I didnt mind how loud it was because it sounded good, until the clearance issues overcame the mufflers themselves, and required repair/replacement. I opted to actually fix the problem and ditch the old under the axle setup. I went with a qtp y (which is a flowmaster 4" merge) to a magnaflow catback. Still 'loud' by regular standards, but i never had drone issues (like ive heard some speak of) and i didnt feel any significant power loss. Ive since stepped up to ARH 1-7/8 headers, but ill be keeping the catback, and possibly adding another silencer/muffler on the I pipe (or ill keep waking people up )
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

What do you mean by a "stocker" muffler, a stock OEM muffler?

If so, an XR1 will be louder than that. I've run them before. They sound nice but if you can't stand how loud a stock muffler is, you might want to put some cats on your car.

Quick Reply: which Borla XR1 muffler? (or alternative suggestions) TOO LOUD - HELP !