Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for 500whp

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for 500whp

I have a 99' SS SLP m6. Bare bones model. No power windows, cloth interior, no cruise, no TC, etc.. Installing Kooks Headers and full Hooker exhaust tonight.

I have a budget of 3k for other add ons to try to achieve 500whp. Obviously needing H/C/I. What's combo is best for my budget. For the next year, this will just be a daily driver for sunny days. Not a track car and not gonna rag it out on the street.

Expert input would be much appreciated!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Btw, I lurk on this site everyday so please don't assume I am an idiot just because I have 1 post.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'd start with Intake, Cam & Exhaust like you stated. Then Tune + Nitrous (100,125 or 150 shot)..
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you'll be able to swing 500rwhp for 3k man. Youre going to need a set of top notch heads (PRC, AFR, TFS) that'll be at least 2k, plus most come with bronze valve guides so you'd need aftermarket rockers to run them. Then add in your cam, lifters, pushrods, timing chain, gaskets ect. will be probably close to 1k. Then you're going to need a dyno tune which seems to be $400-$500 and a new clutch to be able to contain that kind of power. And on top of that 500 rwhp isin't going to be really fun out of a 346, you're going to need a big donkey dick cam that will suck below 4k rpms, so add in gears too. I'd just focus on getting a sold 450 rwhp that will be way more enjoyable to drive around on the streets and cruise with. Best of luck though!

edit: Unless you want to add nitrous to a cammed setup...
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for your budget: CAM ONLY, 150shot

if you're looking to get there all motor, you're going to have to increase the budget quite a bit.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bestlude
for your budget: CAM ONLY, 150shot

if you're looking to get there all motor, you're going to have to increase the budget quite a bit.
I'll second that.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. My last SS had a built 402. I think I may just do a H/C/I and roll with it.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

You're going to fall short N/A and on Pump gas. To get close, you will need worked over/CNC ported AFR/TFS heads for sure and a healthy cam along with the $$ Bolt-ons.

$3K will not realistically get you there

The best bang for this budget would be Nitrous, but I feel that the only good use for nitrous is to get you down the strip. No use for it on the street.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 10-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally I don't shoot for peak power goals. I'm more going for time slip goals, or just to have a great running motor in the ball park of so and so HP/TQ. Just going for 500 HP at peak is not really a great way to build a car.

If I was you, and I had $3k to dump into my car, and already had exhuast, I'd go LS6 intake, clutch, suspension, and some DR's. That combo would probably perform better than big H/C car on stock intake.

What else do you have done to the car overall besides the exausht? If that's it, I'd just try to gather up some good bang for your buck mods. Hell, you could get a new rear and get that out of the way because with your power goals and being a stick, you will need one.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Personally I don't shoot for peak power goals. I'm more going for time slip goals, or just to have a great running motor in the ball park of so and so HP/TQ. Just going for 500 HP at peak is not really a great way to build a car.

If I was you, and I had $3k to dump into my car, and already had exhuast, I'd go LS6 intake, clutch, suspension, and some DR's. That combo would probably perform better than big H/C car on stock intake.

What else do you have done to the car overall besides the exausht? If that's it, I'd just try to gather up some good bang for your buck mods. Hell, you could get a new rear and get that out of the way because with your power goals and being a stick, you will need one.
Time slips and Horsepower are talking the same language. You are not going to meet your ET goals without the horsepower. The OP needs more cash.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badazz81z28

Time slips and Horsepower are talking the same language. You are not going to meet your ET goals without the horsepower. The OP needs more cash.
Yes and no IMO. They always say build the car from the back end forward. Theres bolt on cars running 11s, H/C cars in the 12s. The package makes the car, not the power. A 500 hp car with terrible driveability and a short window for power that it can't put down reliably/efficiently in the first place wouldn't be as fun as a car that makes 420 in a smooth broad curve and hooks to an 11 second pass, you know? I just don't want him to dump thousands into the motor and be unsatisfied with the results.

But yes, more money is definitely needed. There's a thread up here from a guy, maybe it was Pat G, who hit a tad over 500 on a stock bottom end LS1. Custom can spec's to mamofied heads that flow extremely great under the curve (.200-.400), top dollar bolt ons, UD pulley, M6 and I'm pretty sure stock rear.

His main advice is you can't skimp out, every mod has to be made, and in relation to each other. He said its perfectly achievable, it just takes money and knowledge. A lot more than 3 grand.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

You could easily make 500 once with the right nitrous set up :-P

Quick Reply: Searching for 500whp