Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

[PRESS RELEASE] Katech Performance Air Attack LS7 SC (Supercharged) Crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default [PRESS RELEASE] Katech Performance Air Attack LS7 SC (Supercharged) Crate engine

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

McCullough Public Relations

KATECH PERFORMANCE ANNOUNCES 'AIR ATTACK' LS7 SUPERCHARGED ENGINE PACKAGE

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Katech Performance has announced its "Air Attack" LS7 SC (Supercharged) crate engine is available for owners of hot rods, off-road vehicles and show cars.

The 427 cubic-inch displacement (4.125-inch bore; 4.000-inch stroke) engine produces up to 750 horsepower and 700 ft.-lbs. of massive stump-pulling, flat-lined torque. Katech lays a solid foundation with Callies forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods plus the manufacturer's forged aluminum pistons with DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coated pins. They use a stock LS7 block with a billet steel girdle to tie the bottom end together.

"Our Air Attack LS7 SC delivers extreme forced-induction performance for the LS7 engine in off-road and hot-rodding applications," said Caleb Newman, vice president, director aftermarket operations, Katech Performance. "Because we are producing 50 percent more power - far beyond what the cast production piston was designed for - our Katech forged pistons were a must in the Air Attack LS7 SC to maintain engine life and enable even greater boost levels."

An upgraded camshaft designed for boost actuates the stock LS7 titanium intake valve and sodium-filled exhaust valves. Magnuson handles the compression of the air change with their M122 twin-screw high-helix intercooled supercharger. In addition to the standard features, optional Katech valve covers and TVS-based superchargers are also available.

The engine is one of five that make up Katech Performance's LS7 "Arsenal" that includes a "Street Attack" LS7 7.0L, "Sneak Attack" LS7 5.7L, "Desert Attack" LS7 7.0L and "Track Attack" LS7 7.0L option. Each engine is completely disassembled, blueprinted and enhanced by the same technicians that produce championship winning engines for all Katech race programs.

Since 1977, Katech has captured more than 50 driver's and manufacturer's championships competing in the world's most prestigious racing leagues, including the SCCA SPEED World Challenge, American Speed Association (ASA), International Motor Sports Association (IMSA), American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and NASCAR(r).

For more information or to request a catalog, call 866-KATECH1 or visit Katech Performance online at www.katechengines.com.

Katech Performance, the aftermarket performance division of Katech Inc., engineers and manufactures race-proven crate engines and components for LS1/LS6 and LS2/LS7 engines including solid belt tensioners, coil relocation brackets, cylinder heads, dampers, pistons, push rods, throttle bodies and valve covers, among other high-performance products for the street and track.

Katech Inc. was founded on the need to provide responsive service and skills to factory race efforts in all forms of racing, including the SCCA SPEED World Challenge GT, NASCAR and the American Le Mans Series. Today, Katech is an industrial leader in advanced racing and high-performance engine development, manufacturing, testing and assembly, and offers support services for the professional racer including boring, honing, fabrication, welding and prototype parts development.

Katech Performance is located at 24324 Sorrentino Court, Clinton Township, MI, 48035. Contact the company by phone at 866-KATECH1 or visit online at www.katechengines.com.

Katech Air Attack LS7 SC Fast Facts:

Application: Hot rods, off-road vehicles, show cars
Displacement: 427ci, 7.0L
Bore: 4.125
Stroke: 4.000
Compression ratio: 9.0-10.0:1
Fuel: 93 octane
Boost: 7-10psi
Horsepower: 700-750
Torque: 675-700
Block: LS7 with stud girdle and ARP studs
Heads: LS7 with ARP studs
Crank: Callies forged steel
Connecting rods: Callies H-Beam forged steel
Pistons: Katech forged aluminum with DLC coated pins
Camshaft: Katech Air Attack LS7 SC
Oiling system: LS7 dry sump
Supercharger: Magnuson M122 twin-screw high-helix, intercooled
Throttle body: 105mm cable
Optional Katech valve covers shown
Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can i win one??? lol all jokes aside that is a beautiful looking engine.

Last edited by Black02SLPSS; 10-13-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad *** !
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...
Old 10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't even wanna know how much that costs... well i do - but i know i couldn't afford it
Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, so how much $$$?

What warranty comes with it?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

looks like 24,000... very sexy, but i dont see one going im my car anytime soon
Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS6427
OK, so how much $$$?

What warranty comes with it?
$37k if you have no core
$25k if you supply the LS7

That includes the complete supercharger kit to install it in a car.

90 day warranty on Katech workmanship for crate engines

12mo/12000mi warranty on vehicle installations. It would have to be a 1970 or earlier muscle car to install it at Katech though (emissions purposes).
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katech
$37k if you have no core
$25k if you supply the LS7

That includes the complete supercharger kit to install it in a car.

90 day warranty on Katech workmanship for crate engines

12mo/12000mi warranty on vehicle installations. It would have to be a 1970 or earlier muscle car to install it at Katech though (emissions purposes).
$37K for a ~580 RWHP (A4) engine??? Nice engine, but that seems like a ton of money ansd just a 90-day warranty on just your workmanship issues. If the enigne lets go internally its not covered at all?????
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

While I happen to think very highly of Katech and think they are one of the best names in the buisness I am really concerned over the cost of their engines. I emailed Jason On the vette forum cause I am interested in the 500 and for that I was quoted 42k. I am not doubting they are good and they are top notch engines, but please let me know where is this high cost coming from? I know the dart blocks arent cheap but I can get a fully built warhark 481 shortblock from a very well known builder thats on this forum thats highly repected and extremely good for less that 9 grand. But for 19 more cubes I pay 30+ thousand dollars.

Last edited by bandit1; 10-13-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS6427
$37K for a ~580 RWHP (A4) engine??? Nice engine, but that seems like a ton of money ansd just a 90-day warranty on just your workmanship issues. If the enigne lets go internally its not covered at all?????
I don't know where you are getting the 580rwhp number. Anyways, you can't just look at a hp/$ ratio. If we're going to do that we could just say why not get an LS7 crate engine (~$13k) and a $1k nitrous system and spray a 200 shot. The question is; how long is it going to last? This is a fully engineered package built to withstand the power.

To answer your question on warranty, its not really an issue. We've never had an engine warranty claim. I guess that goes to show that properly engineered and validated packages don't even need a warranty, but we offer them anyways for piece of mind.

To answer your question on if the engine "lets go" internally, lets look at a couple of hypothetical situations. If you were to break a piston due to a defect in that piston and you are within 90 days, the engine would be covered. If you were to break a piston due to a defect and it has been 91 days, I'm sure we're not going to say sorry about your luck pal. We're reasonable people. If you were to have this engine installed at a local shop and you broke a piston due to detonation from improper calibration, that would not be covered under warranty.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bandit,

If you compare our prices to other top builders such as Lingenfelter, we are right in line. We take a look at the market and try to price things as competitively as possible. To engineer some of the most cutting edge packages in the world, the costs are quite high. We do not cut any corners. We buy the best parts possible if not make them ourselves from scratch, and we validate everything we do with thousands of hours of engineering time. As a result, we have a very high level of customer satisfaction. We have found a customer base which holds a high value for the services and level of quality we offer.

A large part of the 500 cubic inch engine is the Dart billet block as you mentioned. I just don't understand how you are comparing the price of a cast aluminum short block to a billet completely dressed engine.

Last edited by Katech_Jason; 10-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Bandit,

If you compare our prices to other top builders such as Lingenfelter, we are right in line. We take a look at the market and try to price things as competitively as possible. To engineer some of the most cutting edge packages in the world, the costs are quite high. We do not cut any corners. We buy the best parts possible if not make them ourselves from scratch, and we validate everything we do with thousands of hours of engineering time. As a result, we have a very high level of customer satisfaction. We have found a customer base which holds a high value for the services and level of quality we offer.

A large part of the 500 cubic inch engine is the Dart billet block as you mentioned. I just don't understand how you are comparing the price of a cast aluminum short block to a billet completely dressed engine.
I am in no way shape or form saying you guys arent the best cause I believe you guys kick butt. Maybe Im a little sore cause I was hoping it would be somewhat in my price range. Im sure its a top notch, bad to the bone motor. No disrespect there at all if any was taken, you guys to me are one of the best. I just had my heart set on a 500 cube monster motor an Im sure its a fantastic piece. I will just have to look for another way and hopefully get something close.

I am not saying the Dart block is the same as the warhawk, but you have to agree they are both premium blocks that wil handle anything you can throw at em and give many many years of reliable service. But I do see your point round 9000k for the Dart block and 4500k for the warhawk.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by bandit1
I am in no way shape or form saying you guys arent the best cause I believe you guys kick butt. Maybe Im a little sore cause I was hoping it would be somewhat in my price range. Im sure its a top notch, bad to the bone motor. No disrespect there at all if any was taken, you guys to me are one of the best. I just had my heart set on a 500 cube monster motor an Im sure its a fantastic piece. I will just have to look for another way and hopefully get something close.

I am not saying the Dart block is the same as the warhawk, but you have to agree they are both premium blocks that wil handle anything you can throw at em and give many many years of reliable service. But I do see your point round 9000k for the Dart block and 4500k for the warhawk.
Bandit,

I know you're a fan and I appreciate that, but your first post did sound a little harsh. I want things to be affordable as possible but costs are very high on some things. We try to diversify our packages to suit a wide range of audiences and I would love to build an engine for you. We can do a LS7 based, Warhawk, or LSX for you and I'm sure we can find something to suit your needs and budget.

Keep in mind that the Dart billet block for $9000 that you mentioned is the one sold directly from Dart. We made 32 design changes from that to make the 500.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

That's called art.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Bandit,

I know you're a fan and I appreciate that, but your first post did sound a little harsh. I want things to be affordable as possible but costs are very high on some things. We try to diversify our packages to suit a wide range of audiences and I would love to build an engine for you. We can do a LS7 based, Warhawk, or LSX for you and I'm sure we can find something to suit your needs and budget.

Keep in mind that the Dart billet block for $9000 that you mentioned is the one sold directly from Dart. We made 32 design changes from that to make the 500.
You are totally right and I apologize, its been taken care of I never realized how much was involved. I will still see what you can do for me but probably with a more affordable warhawk or maybe send you my LS7 to see what you can do with it.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You are totally right and I apologize, its been taken care of I never realized how much was involved. I will still see what you can do for me but probably with a more affordable warhawk or maybe send you my LS7 to see what you can do with it.
Alright now we're getting somewhere. Lets do something with that LS7 of yours.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

K Im all ears what can we do hahaha, by the way I was wondering I have a neighbor that wants to replace his callies rods with the titanium LS7 in his LS7 can he buy your already refurbished and modified LS7 rods directly?? I so what is he looking at, we have identical motors we built them at the same time and both recently decided not to even add N20 as traction is already an issue. He is using a smaller cam than I am but wants to be able to rev faster and thought the rods would be a great upgrade. Yours thoughts on this????
Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

K Im all ears what can we do hahaha, by the way I was wondering I have a neighbor that wants to replace his callies rods with the titanium LS7 in his LS7 can he buy your already refurbished and modified LS7 rods directly?? I so what is he looking at, we have identical motors we built them at the same time and both recently decided not to even add N20 as traction is already an issue. He is using a smaller cam than I am but wants to be able to rev faster and thought the rods would be a great upgrade. Yours thoughts on this????
Sending PM
Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

I don't know where you are getting the 580rwhp number. Anyways, you can't just look at a hp/$ ratio. If we're going to do that we could just say why not get an LS7 crate engine (~$13k) and a $1k nitrous system and spray a 200 shot. The question is; how long is it going to last? This is a fully engineered package built to withstand the power.

To answer your question on warranty, its not really an issue. We've never had an engine warranty claim. I guess that goes to show that properly engineered and validated packages don't even need a warranty, but we offer them anyways for piece of mind.

To answer your question on if the engine "lets go" internally, lets look at a couple of hypothetical situations. If you were to break a piston due to a defect in that piston and you are within 90 days, the engine would be covered. If you were to break a piston due to a defect and it has been 91 days, I'm sure we're not going to say sorry about your luck pal. We're reasonable people. If you were to have this engine installed at a local shop and you broke a piston due to detonation from improper calibration, that would not be covered under warranty.
I can see you still covering after 91 days, its when something happens after 5months and you have a pile of metal that is 100% useless. Its just nice to have piece of mind for more than 90 days after spending basically $40,000 for just 580 RWHP. But I do understand you cannot be responsible for how people install and tune the crate engines. Cam/port/exhaust/tune LS7's are making more power than 580 RWHP and still covered under warranty at dealerships. At least around here they are.

~725 FWHP = about 580 RWHP through an A4...right? (20% loss)

Nice engine but man you can build two amazing N/A 454's for that price though.

Last edited by LS6427; 10-14-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: [PRESS RELEASE] Katech Performance Air Attack LS7 SC (Supercharged) Crate engine