https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...rt-system.html
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a sick main support..
Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shawn showed this piece to me a couple of weeks ago when I was down there picking up my car. Beatifully done - very functional piece!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

so is this better then pinning the main caps? and what do you need to machine? can i just buy the plate and stud kit?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

How is this different than a main girdle? i have one in my engine, i guess it doesn't use the oil pan bolts but really, does it make that much difference?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scrapecc
How is this different than a main girdle? i have one in my engine, i guess it doesn't use the oil pan bolts but really, does it make that much difference?
thats what i wanted to know also. i think it might make a small difference but i dont think you will see it really
Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
thats what i wanted to know also. i think it might make a small difference but i dont think you will see it really

Its hard to tell with out testing its with a strain gauge or alot of Cad work. but it should make a huge different just from a design point. Mech engineer though here
Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

I am saying What makes it that much stronger than a main girdle? it doesn't look like new technology to me. my girdle fit very snug to the edge of the block which i would think would hold more pressure then some oil pan bolts.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

maybe your not on the same page as me. look up ls1 main girdle on google. look at how on several points it touches the block for a couple inches. i would think the block would have more structural support for keeping the caps from wandering side to side than the oil pan bolts. and as far as the caps lifting the bolts would provide all the hold you would need there.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its cuts into the block and the bolts just go though it locking the block and oil pan the mains and everything together. Just cause a part touches another part doesnt mean it will keep anything from moving when we are talking a few thousands of a inch. Does it help yes

Keys cut into a part then bolted makes different parts acted as one.

When we get into the limits of rpms and hp bolts are not always the weak points. The threads the bolts go into could be. The whole block where the bolts tie into may flex.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

But what i am saying is the oil pan gonna make any difference? i doubt it. like seriously a main girdle already ties the main caps together. so how is this like a new revalation? the center of the block is already tied together from distortion. I would put a steak dinner on it that the oil pan bolts are not gonna put much structural integrity into the equation!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

snd the girdle touching the edge of the block also acts as a key! WHEN PARTS TOUCH EACHOTHER THEY ALSO ACT AS ONE PART!!! I understand what your saying, but from a design point it probably doesnt matter! i doubt you will exceed the strength of a 4140 block girdle without pushing the limits of the block! overkill for sure. its like the building a frame out of 1/4 inch steel. just doesn't need to be done.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Its cuts into the block and the bolts just go though it locking the block and oil pan the mains and everything together. Just cause a part touches another part doesnt mean it will keep anything from moving when we are talking a few thousands of a inch. Does it help yes

Keys cut into a part then bolted makes different parts acted as one.

When we get into the limits of rpms and hp bolts are not always the weak points. The threads the bolts go into could be. The whole block where the bolts tie into may flex.
But hey, maybe you just have't seen a girdle and have no clue what i am talking about.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

with arp studs and a regular girdle will be enough for most street cars or most race cars 1100hp and under. i think this girdle is meant more for a little higher hp engines. seems to look like the oil pan bolts are just a back up support strength for the main caps. but leads me to wonder how the twisting of the block will effect the oil pan.

i will still stick with the original girdle only b/c i dont want to spend $600 more on machine work when i dont really need it
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
with arp studs and a regular girdle will be enough for most street cars or most race cars 1100hp and under. i think this girdle is meant more for a little higher hp engines. seems to look like the oil pan bolts are just a back up support strength for the main caps. but leads me to wonder how the twisting of the block will effect the oil pan.

i will still stick with the original girdle only b/c i dont want to spend $600 more on machine work when i dont really need it
I know what your saying, I am just thinking that there isn't much strength in those tiny oil pan bolts maybe if they are all bolted together it will give added strength. but seriously not many people will need it, plus it creates another place for an oil leak. almost like 2 oil pans being bolted to the bottom of the motor. and on top of all this, how much hp can an aluminum block take. i dont think you could push the power out of these motors to actually utilize the features of this type of girdle.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

But i guess changing the design a bit could get someone around this guy's patents
http://www.dmperformance.org/ls6.html?1171930449750
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a buddy pushing 1500 hp on a alum block. Im at 800rwhp on my alum. My new alum block im hoping for at least 1600 hp

The oil pan bolts are not for stopping flex as if the crank is being pushed out as much as for stopping side to side movement of the mains.

Its not going to cause any leaking issues twisting of the block will not affect the oil pan. When a block heats up it twist and grows so it will acted just like it always does.

and for the note of tinys bolts not doing much looking up the size of 6-48 bolts(1/8 the size of oil pan bolt) . They are used on rifles. that take 20 neg Gs of force with fired from a 50 cal

This is going off. lets leave this at its a very nicely designed part

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 05-18-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i guess i don't need to explain anything since you guys know everything,i guess all my modeling and FEA data are lying to me,since you guys can look at a picture and tell me it works no better than any other.The girdle does not rely on fricton or the oil pan bolts to do it's job,it mechanically locks the main caps and the block together-you can't see everything in a picture.This is not for everyone-i designed this for high hp engines-1500+ hp.And i didn't change anything to get around a patent-i made a whole new piece for a stronger design.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scrapecc
But hey, maybe you just have't seen a girdle and have no clue what i am talking about.
I have seen the part and have one on my ls2 engine. but i am a very **** person i like design perfection. For my next engine i will spend a little more money if this part will work. Is it need i dont know but i like to over do every thing in life
Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
me thnks i know how ths design got started

that thing looks stout as hell

Quick Reply: for all you high hp guys