Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How Observant is your Technician?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Observant is your Technician?????

I have a 2006 C6 A6 coupe. The parts I gave the shop were an EPP blower cam, Comp cams timing chain, AFR 205's, LPE intake, Crane extreme duty springs, ARP head studs, Cometic gaskets, Maggie MP112 kit.

The problem is on the 2006 Corvettes somewhere in the model year GM changed the timing set on the LS2's from a 1X to a 4X timing set. For those of you who don't know the difference see the pics below.

1X timing set

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pcamschain.jpg

4X timing set

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ockCamgear.jpg

EPP has since sent me the correct timing set at no charge. (Thanks Bob)

The shop that did the work didn't question the difference between the cam gears and installed the 1X set without asking any questions. Now they say if I want it swapped out I have to pay again which is going to be around $900.00 - $1000.00 Anyone else think this is fair? I'm not a mechanic, but I would have questioned the differance in the two timing sets. The shop said " you gave us the parts, we installed them, thats policy"
Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

I know it sucks but I'd have to agree with the shop on this one. You supplied the parts and they bolted up fine. If it was something that was very obviously the wrong part I could see it your way. Good luck,

Larry
Old 06-13-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even at $75/hour that's more than 12 hours which is way too much to get to the cam sprocket and put everything back together. No, it is not the shop's fault, but I am shocked they're not willing to work with you for a discounted rate.

Needless to say they'll not get any future business, and you will certainly dissuade anyone else from using them.

I hope their technical capabilities are stronger than their business acumen...
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

The shop in question prides themselves on being top notch performance shop. I'm sorry but it should have been questioned. Its not like the two sets look close to being the same. They are totally different. Even EPP said the shop should take responsibility.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoglund
The shop in question prides themselves on being top notch performance shop. I'm sorry but it should have been questioned. Its not like the two sets look close to being the same. They are totally different. Even EPP said the shop should take responsibility.
Yes a little odd they didnt ask the question. But time is time.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

If the shop supplied the parts 100% they eat it. I fell they should work with you. Did EPP not know about the differance when you ordered the parts? I would think $400 for labor plus gaskets and fluids would be fair but that between you and them.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by b18c1hybrid
If the shop supplied the parts 100% they eat it. I fell they should work with you. Did EPP not know about the differance when you ordered the parts? I would think $400 for labor plus gaskets and fluids would be fair but that between you and them.
That I would agree to. But he's not even close to that
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take it to another shop that would be willing to replace it cheaper. 1K is FARRRRRRRRR too much to swap out the cam sprocket. Hell, I would even bet that a dealership might do it cheaper lol.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

1000 sounds a little much, but the shop should not HAVE to do it for free or even at a discounted rate. The only people you have a right to be pissed at is yourself and whomever sold you the wrong part, if you even ordered the correct part to begin with?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

ehh this one is hard to pick a side on i think they should do it at a dicounted price the second time.....both parties are at fault
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoglund
If they can't see, and don't know, the difference in a 1X and a 4X top gear then they don't keep up with the LS engines. Take it somewhere else and have the gear installed.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Hay Matt just read how the story is presented = Left out sum details. I,am willing to work with you, But not taking a full cut on redoing job. Parts supplied but you were correct per comps catalog. How ever I did miss the 4 reluctor portion of the visual inspection. But as you state this was a mid year change, so I would have thought if there was this kind of problem out there that we would have been warned about this when part was purchased. as for the price to redo the job. You haven,t stated about the supercharger custom valve covers,coil brackets,redegree the cam.that all adds additional time into redoing the job. You know from past that I stand behinded my work, If I supplied the parts this would be a NO CHARGE REPAIR !! A learnd lesson in my book. Call me so we can make this car right and start enjoying it.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^sounds good to me
Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Teching In

great guy and a man about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Being a shop owner myself this is a touchy situation. I own a small restoration & custom fabrication shop and run into situations like this as well.

I realize that everybody is trying to save money these days. Therefore clients feel the need to supply their own parts. However if one of my client supplies his or her own parts, that person is liable for any issues that arise.

There is a reason why shops mark up parts, if it is a reputable shop they should stand behind it. Some may disagree with markups and what not, but at the end of the day its a business and the objective is to make money.

MHogLund, I know you're upset. However you supplied the parts. The moment you ordered all the pieces and parts you took liability if they are wrong. You gambled and you unfortunately lost. Should this situation have been caught. Probably. Its an unfortunate situation. However at the end of the day you chose to order your own parts, you relied on EPP to supply you with the correct parts. You put your faith in them to send you the right parts. Much like you put your faith in EPP, the shop you chose put their faith in you that you supplied the right parts.

As for the shop that put it together. Should they have checked this, yes. Is it their fault. Not completely. You've got to realize that when a client supplies their own parts, they take away from the shops profitability. The shop may not be as inclined to double check everything because their not getting paid for it. Is $1000 to much to redo the job?? I am not sure. I do paint and body work for a living.

Last edited by Opher007; 06-19-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The shop owner that replied that did your work sounds like a really good guy to me, I'm sure that both parties could work something out.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 PM

Default Thanks

Just what to say thanks to every one for their in put. Special thanks to Opher007, I thank you for spelling it out from a business point of veiw. I will make this job right, Being a car guy I know its hard to trust other people with are rides. So as long as the other party can be resonable, I will get it corrected.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Launching!

getting to the cam gear on a C6 is a bitch...I did a cam swap on one and took me 10 hours including valve springs for the first one. So I can see the labor being high $$$
Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Opher007
Being a shop owner myself this is a touchy situation. I own a small restoration & custom fabrication shop and run into situations like this as well.

I realize that everybody is trying to save money these days. Therefore clients feel the need to supply their own parts. However if one of my client supplies his or her own parts, that person is liable for any issues that arise.

There is a reason why shops mark up parts, if it is a reputable shop they should stand behind it. Some may disagree with markups and what not, but at the end of the day its a business and the objective is to make money.

MHogLund, I know you're upset. However you supplied the parts. The moment you ordered all the pieces and parts you took liability if they are wrong. You gambled and you unfortunately lost. Should this situation have been caught. Probably. Its an unfortunate situation. However at the end of the day you chose to order your own parts, you relied on EPP to supply you with the correct parts. You put your faith in them to send you the right parts. Much like you put your faith in EPP, the shop you chose put their faith in you that you supplied the right parts.

As for the shop that put it together. Should they have checked this, yes. Is it their fault. Not completely. You've got to realize that when a client supplies their own parts, they take away from the shops profitability. The shop may not be as inclined to double check everything because their not getting paid for it. Is $1000 to much to redo the job?? I am not sure. I do paint and body work for a living.

Werd.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 PM
FormerVendor

Well, I can relate to this since this JUST happened to me and my shop. A guy comes by, asks me if I will install some headers for him that he is gonna supply. I say sure. Gonna be $200 (keep in mind, that he had stock manifolds on, and he was having me put Longtubes on, and I had to fab up his exhaust from headers, to mufflers) Needless to say, teh headers were CRAP! Once on, collector area was pointing/slanting upward to the floorboard, which meant teh collector once on was rubbing the floor. Not good. Passenger side header rubs teh frame rail, and get this (since I had to take oil filter off to put headers on) you could NOT put oil filter back on with headers installed You had to leave headers unbolted to put filter on. Yeehaw! So everytime you need to change the oil, headrs have to be unbolted, yeah that was gonna be fun. AND, EVERY TUBE HAD TO BE HEATED AND DIMPLED TO GET A BOLT IN THE FLANGE!!!!
So, instead of just throwing it all on, and telling him, hey your headers fit like crap, pay me. What I did was fix teh headers. I dimpled all the tubes. I heated teh pipes, one at a time, and bent them so the could fit (as well as make room for teh oil filter so he could change it without having to remove the headers every time) And I also had to install header wrap. I had an EASY 8 hours of EXTRA time in doing this. Now, I did not charge my customer 1 extra cent. I told him $200. And that is what I charged him. Now, does that mean I think the shop mentioned above should have done the same? No, I am not. Customer supplied the parts, he is at fault on that. Would I have charged them extra to do it? It all depends on the customer and his attitude. The guy I did the headers for is a Marine, and was being stationed in California, and was SUPER nice to boot. When he would come up to check on how it was going, he would bring me gatorade and ask if I needed anything, and just all around nice guy. If he would have been a jerk or not understanding in why it was taking longer than we thought (he was driving to Califronia and needed to leave, like ASAP!) but he was, so I had no problem doing it (and losing money at teh same time) as that is how I conduct business.
There are alot of variables in how this could have should have and what if's, that there is NOT a wrong or right, just a matter of what one person thinks is all. It could go EITHER way in my book.

Quick Reply: How Observant is your Technician?????