Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GM Engineer Explains the LS7, LSX, C5R, and LSX-DR Heads... Cool Vid.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Engineer Explains the LS7, LSX, C5R, and LSX-DR Heads... Cool Vid.

Link to video

Whos going to buy a pair of LSX-DR heads?

Last edited by texas94z; 07-07-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a ******* tool. $2,000 Jesel Rockers no problem, Custom valves, no problem, needing a $150 pair of custom exhaust flanges is the deal breaker. What an idiot.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^No kidding. That would be the least of my worries.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the provision for direct alcohol injection into the intake port.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
What a ******* tool. $2,000 Jesel Rockers no problem, Custom valves, no problem, needing a $150 pair of custom exhaust flanges is the deal breaker. What an idiot.
Hahaha, hey Phil who pissed in your Wheaties?? When did the costs involved in a trick set of heads ever sway your spending?

My dyno guy Don West buys a lot of SB2 heads from the circle track shops...used of course. He also plays with the out of date pro stock heads a bunch. Any head that is for a race application is expensive. The parts involved to support those heads are going to need to be top shelf.

Titanium valves are about $100.00 each for the custom sizes. With a port as high as the DR or CT your in the 6.300 to 6.400 length. Guys would give their right arms to have ports that high!

You pay for what you get, my Jesel valve train has been very good to me at 9000+ RPM. I just got my set for my DR heads on Friday.

If your paying $150.00 for flanges your paying too much. A local fab shop here cuts mine on a laser table 4 at a time. I can get you a price. I should have a price for stainless shortly.

The guy in the video was Thom Bates. He is not an engineer but he works (or used to) work with the engineers on many of the GM Performance Parts products.
Due to budget cuts Thom was let go just after SEMA.

I enjoyed working with Thom while he was at GMPP. He was passionate about the business.

Robin
Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robin L
Hahaha, hey Phil who pissed in your Wheaties?? When did the costs involved in a trick set of heads ever sway your spending?

My dyno guy Don West buys a lot of SB2 heads from the circle track shops...used of course. He also plays with the out of date pro stock heads a bunch. Any head that is for a race application is expensive. The parts involved to support those heads are going to need to be top shelf.

Titanium valves are about $100.00 each for the custom sizes. With a port as high as the DR or CT your in the 6.300 to 6.400 length. Guys would give their right arms to have ports that high!

You pay for what you get, my Jesel valve train has been very good to me at 9000+ RPM. I just got my set for my DR heads on Friday.

If your paying $150.00 for flanges your paying too much. A local fab shop here cuts mine on a laser table 4 at a time. I can get you a price. I should have a price for stainless shortly.

The guy in the video was Thom Bates. He is not an engineer but he works (or used to) work with the engineers on many of the GM Performance Parts products.

I enjoyed working with Thom while he was at GMPP. He was passionate about the business.

Robin
I would personally love to have those heads past experience tells me if you play big you pay big. Personally I love the fact gm is reaching out to the performance crowds the way it has with this program its really totally awesome to be honest!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Robin
I think you missed the point he was making. Why would a custom header flange be a "deal breaker" (as mentioned in the vid) when you are spending top dollar on everything else? I believe that was the gist of Phils comment.

Larry
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 AM
7 Second Club

No one pissed in my wheaties. My comments were directed at the guy doing the interview that said "Plenty of people run jesel rockers on the street and the cost of custom valves had no bearing on if people ran them BUT the need of a custom flange was the deal breaker." The heads look very promising. My beef was not with the guy from GM but the interviewer.

Robin
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
I think you missed the point he was making. Why would a custom header flange be a "deal breaker" (as mentioned in the vid) when you are spending top dollar on everything else? I believe that was the gist of Phils comment.

Larry
Ahhhhh, damn sucks to be me! LOL I now see the reason fro his comment.
After spending close to 10 grand for that set up why would a set of flanges "break" the deal. Sorry it was 6 am when I read that.

Still Thom is a good guy and probably had a little slip when taping that deal.

But now I can poke fun at Tom! LOL.

My apoligy to Phil.... good point!

Have a good day!

Robin
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM
7 Second Club

Ahhhhh, damn sucks to be me! LOL I now see the reason fro his comment.
After spending close to 10 grand for that set up why would a set of flanges "break" the deal. Sorry it was 6 am when I read that.

Still Thom is a good guy and probably had a little slip when taping that deal.

My apoligy to Phil.... good point!

Have a good day!

Robin
No need to apologize. Thom was the guy from GM?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't dumb up Robin! It was the dipshit reporter, not Tom, who made the stupid-*** statement about the $150 flanges being the deal breaker! Tom was just being a nice guy by not insulting him on video by repeating his statement after he said it. Tom obviously knows the business!

Quick Reply: GM Engineer Explains the LS7, LSX, C5R, and LSX-DR Heads... Cool Vid.