Gasket remover does one HELL of a job on carbon buildup
Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread !!!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Wow man, your attention to detail is way beyond anything I've ever seen. Truly awesome, and very informative. I don't see how this engine wouldn't last quite a while. Your clearances are obviously better than production stuff (the surface of my new L92 heads look like washer-boards compared to the mirrors you milled), and while your not running a production cam and compression, its still pretty mild when compared to more dedicated race engines. Thanks for going into such detail and taking good photos.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks guys.

Tonight I did some quick checking of a prelimenary lifter pre-load and looked at the FAST 90 intake fit.

I used a pair of composite Felpro 1041's I have for mock up (no MLS coatings to contend with, plus I don't like handling the MLS head gaskets until the install time) which measure .041" compressed, so that will be .012" less than the head gasket I will be using and will need to be accounted for in my lifter pre-load measurements.

I dropped in 4 pr of the Morel lifters, one in each corner as I will check for pushrod lengths on each corner of the engine before coming up with a final measurement.

Next I dropped the heads on and used just 6 head studs per side tightened up to about 35 ft. lbs to get my pushrod length measurements, the composite bodied Felpro 1041 is quite dense and will not change thickness very much with torque, unlike the MLS stuff, so 35 ft. lbs is fine.

Then I bolted and indicator base to the head and set up a dial indicator.

Since I am using a Yella Terra Ultra Light shaft rocker with two rockers per shaft I will take one rocker off the shaft to avoid it interfering with what I am trying to accomplish, then I will put the other rocker back on and take off the one I started with to do the same procedure on both intake and exhaust valves.

Here is what the set-up I am using for this looks like. Pretty straight forward, just using a compound indicator stand to get the dial indicator right where I want it.

I dropped in a 7.500" pushrod for starters since I had one.

I lightly tightened up both of the rocker shaft bolts to take the excess lash out of the rocker arm careful to avoid pre-loading the lifter I am working with.

Then I rolled the engine over to get the cam on the base circle of the lobe and zeroed the indicator on the pushrod side of the rocker and made sure there was no pre-load on the lifter.

I then brought the rocker bolt down and backed it off, and then brought it down again re-zeroing the indicator. Then I started to tighten up the rocker shaft hold down bolt watching the lifter pre-load take place while measuring it with the indicator.

I found for every 1/4 turn of the rocker shaft hold down bolt that it was about .018"-.020" lifter pre-load, so a FULL turn was about .072"-.080".

Zero

1/4 turn

With the 7.500" pushrod and the shaft rocker bolt torqued to 22ft. lbs I got about .085" pre-load (or 1 1/8 turns), a little on the high side, but not bad.
When I add the additional .012" for the head gasket I will be running I will be in nice safe place to run the lifters at.

I need to finish checking the other 3 corners of the engine and then figure out what the rocker geometry/valve tip wipe looks like so I know whether or not I need to add stand thickness (additonal shims) to the Yella Terra shaft mounts. For this I will need to replace the Morel lifters with a solid 'set-up' lifter I made by taking apart the lifter and stacking small shims underneath the plunger.

Probably should have done this first as I realize now sitting here typing this up. Oh well, I was anxious to see what the FAST 90 intake fit was going to fit like. I have it apart right now because I am sanding it down and going to paint the top shell gloss black.

So here it is, I would have needed to mill another .075" - .090" off the heads to get the port floor to line up with the manifold floor Pretty typical from what I understand on these. It would have only been worse not milling the heads any. I wonder what an LS6 manifold or a NEW FAST 102 would fit like here?

I suppose I could open the intake port, but I don't think it would be worth much here. Maybe some cylinder head guru can chime in....
Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Nice work man. I wish i would have bought that short-block you were selling, after reading this thread...lol
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prolly one of the sickest build threads i have ever seen so information
good job man!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

you sir are my hero! this is what i want to do for a living and i admire you for doing it with such detail!

thanks a lot for this thread i will be saving it for future reference
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AW794
Nice work man. I wish i would have bought that short-block you were selling, after reading this thread...lol
It went to a local in one of the Camaro clubs. He had it running over the Christmas holidays. In a 6-spd driveline, 12-bolt, with AFR 205's and a Vindicator (his top half) it did 517RWHP. I built it for one of my cars but chose to unload it in an effort to buy another car. That was a nice one, good price too.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of finding the lifter pre-load? Is it to find out if you're loading it too much? What's the preload supposed to be at?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

Just plain AWESOME, READ THE WHOLE THING....
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Regular

Subscribing
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-05-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

update please.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by helicoil
<snip>

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...re-Load026.jpg

I suppose I could open the intake port, but I don't think it would be worth much here. Maybe some cylinder head guru can chime in....
why not epoxy the intake runners then shape it to match the intae runner floor on the head?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
why not epoxy the intake runners then shape it to match the intae runner floor on the head?
is that little bit really worth the trouble?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99LS6SS
If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of finding the lifter pre-load? Is it to find out if you're loading it too much? What's the preload supposed to be at?
.060"-.080" is usually pretty good for a quiet valvetrain. A FULL turn is not a bad spot to be. The Morels can run a little less than a stock LS2, LS7 lifter.

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
Thought about it, talked with Tony M. and he didn't seem to think the epoxy would hold up to well in these plastic manifolds. Curious if anyone else has tried it?

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
is that little bit really worth the trouble?
I am going to say not, these FAST intakes have to always fit this way. The milling I did on the heads (typical) certainly would only have helped the situation. We are only talking .036" a head, so it would have been even a bit worse if they were run out of the box.

I leaning towards not doing anything here. I would assume most don't either. As mentioned above it would require filling the manifold floor with a two part epoxy, or lowering the cylinder head intake port. Apparantly, most the airflow gains are made up top (intake roof) if you look at the worked manifolds out there.

BTW, no updates guys, too busy with work to play right now. Still looks the same as last pictured.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

chris1313 is spacing his fast up with a thicker gasket material to line up the floor better. may want to check his progress
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Teching In

AWESOME Build Thread......Keep the posts comming!!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

bumppp
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
I need to finish checking the other 3 corners of the engine and then figure out what the rocker geometry/valve tip wipe looks like so I know whether or not I need to add stand thickness (additonal shims) to the Yella Terra shaft mounts. For this I will need to replace the Morel lifters with a solid 'set-up' lifter I made by taking apart the lifter and stacking small shims underneath the plunger.

Probably should have done this first as I realize now sitting here typing this up. Oh well, I was anxious to see what the FAST 90 intake fit was going to fit like. I have it apart right now because I am sanding it down and going to paint the top shell gloss black.

So here it is, I would have needed to mill another .075" - .090" off the heads to get the port floor to line up with the manifold floor Pretty typical from what I understand on these. It would have only been worse not milling the heads any. I wonder what an LS6 manifold or a NEW FAST 102 would fit like here?

Nice work but I was wondering if I missed a post about checking the geometry..Sometimes we all get ahead of ourselves.

Again, nice work,

Kevin

Quick Reply: NA 'street' LS2 403 build - "From Crate to Dyno"