Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anyone ran the scoggindickey cnc ls3 head?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ran the scoggindickey cnc ls3 head?

Is it any good or is it just a real budget thing? pn#sd8761
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Check this thread out. He bought a full crate engine from Scoggin Dickey and I would believe he's using their cnc l92 heads. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...427-today.html
Old 11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the wcch ones. I don't think their is a big price difference and Richards flow a good amount more.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine from Lingenfelter and they look great! they are cnc'd w/ springs for 1699 shipped! THEY flow just as much as the WCCH's versions. Plus they mill theirs to any CC for free. I think that was a good deal. Just my .02 cents though.

I believe that the LPE's flow more than Scoggin's.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Ya the flow numbers for the scogindickeys don't look that great. Only 309@.500 on the intake. Most everyone else's are in the 320's. I am down to TEA's, AI's or LPE's at the moment but am leaning towards TEA's.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering, But why isn't WCCH on your list? Pretty sure he has had his cnc program out longer then any of the others you mentioned.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allblowdup
Is it any good or is it just a real budget thing? pn#sd8761
What size motor are you working with?

Bozz
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Ya the flow numbers for the scogindickeys don't look that great. Only 309@.500 on the intake. Most everyone else's are in the 320's. I am down to TEA's, AI's or LPE's at the moment but am leaning towards TEA's.
And these are going on.....? You chasing flow numbers or horsepower? Might want to re-emphasize your focus on velocity and/or port cross section. What flows on one bench might flow on another...just sayin.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Launching!

They would be going on a 427 ci carbed unit. Not just looking at peak flow numbers but I am am looking at the averages alot and mostly mid lift flows. My cam will be pretty mild .602/.604 lift Having no experience with any of the formentioned head shops that is why I ask.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They would be going on a 427 ci carbed unit. Not just looking at peak flow numbers but I am am looking at the averages alot and mostly mid lift flows. My cam will be pretty mild .602/.604 lift Having no experience with any of the formentioned head shops that is why I ask.
Is this a true 427 4.125 bore or 4.070 LS3/L92 block?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Launching!

4.070x4.125 actuall a 429.1 ci. This is not a car engine. It is for a jet boat.

Port velocity and flow are very important in this application as I have a very small window of rpm in which to make max torque. This may be why it seems that I am looking flow numbers alot. For me a head that flows alot fast with the smallest port volume cleanly is what I am looking for. An average of the flow numbers without large gains at one lift can give me an idea of what is happening in the head. The scogg head flows only 309@.500 and is a 279cc port vs AI flows 239@.500 with a 267 cc port. The ai head is more efficient. Also if you graph the flow numbers on excell then you can see what heads have a smooth increase in flow thoughout the midlift flows. Those head would tend to not go turbulent at any of the lifts as it would effect the flow numbers. I also look for a head that at least doesn't back up at large lifts as the flow bench is just a steady state tool and a running enigne can demand more than that at certain times. Piston demand flow on this engine is over 345 cfm and the valve lift is .602 so having a head that can match that flow at that lift would be helpful. Most of the ported heads do but a few are close.

Let me know what things you look for when choosing a head.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Launching!

here is the graph of a few of them.Anyone ran the scoggindickey cnc ls3 head?-port-graph.jpg
Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

here is another one showing the scogg head. The mid lift numbers really show the tales of the differences in the heads. Not that ones so much better than the rest but it does show some interesting data.Anyone ran the scoggindickey cnc ls3 head?-untitled.jpg
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Smile

4.070x4.125 actuall a 429.1 ci. This is not a car engine. It is for a jet boat.

The scogg head flows only 309@.500 and is a 279cc port vs AI flows 239@.500 with a 267 cc port. The ai head is more efficient.

Let me know what things you look for when choosing a head.
I believe that is a typo regarding our published #.

When you buy cylinder heads, it is exactly like buying a short block. In our experience, published flow #'s are neither comparable from one test setup to the next, nor an indicator of potential performance. The best educated consumer in regards to heads will typically completely ignore flow #'s - they are marketing data. I say that even though we tend to have high 28" #'s, though our heads aren't designed based on what CFM # the vacuum says. As with a short block, what you are paying for is a shop's machining prowess. If you break things down by the quality of machine work, attention to detail, and consistency of the product then you will very quickly see a hierarchy emerge between heads most would believe are similar. There is an immense difference in work across the spectrum of CNC porting, from entry level to high end. Of course, that is easy to say when you are pushing professional race level machining and tolerances. In reality, the individual will have to determine what level of work represents the best value for their particular application, goals, and budget.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Thanks. That helps alot. I agree that just looking at the flow numbers alone would be a waste of time.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
I believe that is a typo regarding our published #.

When you buy cylinder heads, it is exactly like buying a short block. In our experience, published flow #'s are neither comparable from one test setup to the next, nor an indicator of potential performance. The best educated consumer in regards to heads will typically completely ignore flow #'s - they are marketing data. I say that even though we tend to have high 28" #'s, though our heads aren't designed based on what CFM # the vacuum says. As with a short block, what you are paying for is a shop's machining prowess. If you break things down by the quality of machine work, attention to detail, and consistency of the product then you will very quickly see a hierarchy emerge between heads most would believe are similar. There is an immense difference in work across the spectrum of CNC porting, from entry level to high end. Of course, that is easy to say when you are pushing professional race level machining and tolerances. In reality, the individual will have to determine what level of work represents the best value for their particular application, goals, and budget.

Good luck!
X2 as usual.......
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We sell quite a few of them. They do flow on average with quite a few of the lower numbered heads out ther (meaning stage 1 or 1.5 or however the numbering systems go for X vendor). They do the same as the GM head. The only difference is, the GM head is no longer available. We offer these cnc'd with manley stainless valves and patriot extreme springs assembled for $1499.95. Then we offer them CNCd with stock valves and patrio extremes for 1395.99. Honestly there are so many ways we can and have set these up.

I must say they cannot be too bad making 500 at the tire on a 427 LS3 in a stalled auto car. That is the car mentioned in that thread.

Quick Reply: Anyone ran the scoggindickey cnc ls3 head?