Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Vvt mast ho cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vvt mast ho cam

hey guys im from the performance trucks side.. ive got an 09 gmc sierra with the 6.2 all mods in sig., im wondering if anybody has a video of what the vvt ho cam sounds like or any info on performance and etc..? that is the cam my tuner wants to put in my truck and said gains are well worth it and he has used them alot in applications.. also any input on rockers, pushrods, or whatever would be appreciated as well.. he told me since its not over 600 lift he doesnt worry bout pushrods and that the stock rockers work just fine all i need is cam phaser and springs..
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

That is the same cam i am interested in running in my 08 denali 6.2, did you find any clips or responses that are of any help to your decision. I am thinking the same as your tuner on the rockers, but i already have purchased valve springs, and i plan to buy a set of pushrods, just for insurance.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

MAST HAS THE L92 HO ENGINE INSTALLED IN A OLDER PICK UP AND THEY HAVE A QUICK START UP IN THIS VIDEO, BUT NOT A REAL FOCUS ON THE ACTUAL SOUND OF THE CAM, BUT MAYBE THIS HELPS A BIT. JUST WHAT I HAVE FOUND. I SEE A FEW GUYS WITH L99 ENGINE SAYING MAST STAGE 1 BUT IT DOES NOT GIVE THE SPECS TO KOW IF IT IS THE HO OR THE SS CAMSHAFT. MAYBE YOU HAVE FOUND SOMETHING ELSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L79rl...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MAsy932KBU&NR=1
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Can I just ask why you wanna stick with VVT? I personally don't like it, but I hear others bragging on it. I'd like some enlightenment.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT
Can I just ask why you wanna stick with VVT? I personally don't like it, but I hear others bragging on it. I'd like some enlightenment.
Primarily because you can run a cam that would seem a little big for the application and reap the benefits of mid and upper rpm power without such a compromise in low speed torque. For example, the mast motorsport HO cam, at 224/238 in a stock cube 6.2 engine still makes more than 400 ft lbs at and under 2500, per thier graph, and still post 526 hp. When there is lower oil pressures at the phaser, the cams timing is advanced fully and as oil presure rises, (i.e RPM) the phaser will then in turn retard the cam back to allow full mid and top end power. It is a pretty neat setup for those who dont mind modifying the oe phase to restrict the advance potential.
Hope that helps
Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT
Also for my application a big heavy 4 door truck, I need to maximize the torque potential while building power, and not do anything to hinder torque production.

check this article, it is proof of the potential of vvt, with aftermarket camshafts.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Back to the MAST MOTORSPORT camshaft, I have tried calling MAST for the last past week, to order this HO camshaft for my truck, and I have got nothing but voicemails, I have talked with someone only one time to be told that they would have Chris call me, NEVER HEARD FROM HIM SINCE MONDAY 1/4/2011, I have left 2 voicemails, and plenty calls through out this week. All this said, I think I am taking my business elsewhere, I called Comp and got a recomendation and will probably purchase one of their VVT cams and the phaser kit on Monday.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to make sure you do not have AFM. If you do, you need to remove it before you upgrade your cam.

You also need to call your dealearship, with your vin, and see what "cam actuator" part number is. There are two vvt limiter kits and two different cam cores, both depend on the part number of your cam actuator. (See below)

Heres an article on Comps VVT cam and its gains. (+70hp with no losses becasue of VVT)
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...les/index.html

Tech Bulletin – COMP Cams®
RE: GM Gen IV VVT Cam Core, 156 family and new 189 family introduction

Summary: GM introduced a second style VVT cam actuator (aka phaser) in 2007, and ran two different cam actuators through 2007‐2008+. The new style became the exclusive unit in most 2009+ engines.

Original (old style) GM PN 1258994: 2007‐2008 (uses cam core 156‐)
Current (new style) GM PN 12606358: 2007‐2009+ (uses cam core 189‐)

The difference in camshaft core is the pin to centerline position. The difference in pin between 156 and 189 equates to 13 degrees cam retard (if a 156 is used where a 189 is required).
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
You need to make sure you do not have AFM. If you do, you need to remove it before you upgrade your cam.

You also need to call your dealearship, with your vin, and see what "cam actuator" part number is. There are two vvt limiter kits and two different cam cores, both depend on the part number of your cam actuator. (See below)

Heres an article on Comps VVT cam and its gains. (+70hp with no losses becasue of VVT)
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...les/index.html

Tech Bulletin – COMP Cams®
RE: GM Gen IV VVT Cam Core, 156 family and new 189 family introduction

Summary: GM introduced a second style VVT cam actuator (aka phaser) in 2007, and ran two different cam actuators through 2007‐2008+. The new style became the exclusive unit in most 2009+ engines.

Original (old style) GM PN 1258994: 2007‐2008 (uses cam core 156‐)
Current (new style) GM PN 12606358: 2007‐2009+ (uses cam core 189‐)

The difference in camshaft core is the pin to centerline position. The difference in pin between 156 and 189 equates to 13 degrees cam retard (if a 156 is used where a 189 is required).
THanks for the heads up, so to ensure the right parts i could just order a new style phaser and get a 189 cam core and be just fine in knowing I have everything matching, correct?
I am about 98 % sure my truck is not a AFM/DOD vehicle, just VVT. I do not think they had these L92's with DOD, I could be wrong but I think they all were just VVT.
THanks again for the heads reminder I had seen the bulletin from comp, and that earlier stated article on gmhtp.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

? Well that sounds pretty trick honestly. But I'm old school and stuck with this statement from a wise old racer. "Power comes from three things: Cubes, heads, and lobes on the cam." It seems redundant and sorry for hi jacking the thread but respectably duration on any cam lobe will put you with wide margins of power. I think I'm just venting though because I tuned a VVT cam using the phaser features on HPT and it was a ******* nightmare to not get it to fall on it's face after 4500..... I wish you the best of luck though!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Oh and an easy way to check if you've got AFM, look at your brake booster on the underneath side and see if it says AFM. The L92 is a 6.2 Litre engine most commonly manufactured without AFM, however in 07+ applications could be exclusively ordered like that however sacrificing some odd ten horsepower due to the smaller cam and increased valvetrain stress due to those ridiculous colapseable lifters.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If you search YouTube for "Mast LY6 HO", I believe there's a clip of a purpose built rock buggy using their crate engine, which uses the HO cam. You can hear it at idle, WOT and everything in between on the video.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Also here is a good clip of the sound of the L99 HO cam
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...0311171627.flv
Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LT1STROKER
Back to the MAST MOTORSPORT camshaft, I have tried calling MAST for the last past week, to order this HO camshaft for my truck, and I have got nothing but voicemails, I have talked with someone only one time to be told that they would have Chris call me, NEVER HEARD FROM HIM SINCE MONDAY 1/4/2011, I have left 2 voicemails, and plenty calls through out this week. All this said, I think I am taking my business elsewhere, I called Comp and got a recomendation and will probably purchase one of their VVT cams and the phaser kit on Monday.
Sorry we've had communication problems as of late. We have seen a huge jump in call volume over the last few weeks and are doing our best to handle it. We actually will be hiring someone soon to help with the added volume!

For now the best contact method is by email! If I can do anything to help from this point on feel free to email or PM me!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Vvt mast ho cam