Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX 454 freshen up

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 239 Likes on 161 Posts

Not as yet mate... i bought the flex kit but busy getting my holiday home plans and permits... And also enjoying driving the car after 2 yrs off the road...
Ill get one before i head off to the red centre nationals in august.
My rad fans were playin up so rewired them and i think i must have only had one working, coz now they both are my temps are in the awesome range
Old 03-14-2020, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickyinks
Not as yet mate... i bought the flex kit but busy getting my holiday home plans and permits... And also enjoying driving the car after 2 yrs off the road...
Ill get one before i head off to the red centre nationals in august.
My rad fans were playin up so rewired them and i think i must have only had one working, coz now they both are my temps are in the awesome range
Glad you got the fans sorted.
You should be seeing cooler temps now.
Are you also running a 160 thermostat?
Old 03-14-2020, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bortous
Glad you got the fans sorted.
You should be seeing cooler temps now.
Are you also running a 160 thermostat?
Yes mate, im running a 160 stat, an evans water pump (outflows electric pumps), a dessert coolers radiator, B&M oil cooler, davies graig power steer cooler, 25lb rad cap....
Your iron block will run hotter so if you havnt already, start beefing up your cooling system.
My coolant temp stays around 83degrees and my oil temps are at 105 degrees
What oil pump will you be running? i have a melling standard volume high pressure, lowest psi i see is 50..... When i do springs i will try the low volume melling pump
Old 03-15-2020, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yes mate, im running a 160 stat, an evans water pump (outflows electric pumps), a dessert coolers radiator, B&M oil cooler, davies graig power steer cooler, 25lb rad cap....
Your iron block will run hotter so if you havnt already, start beefing up your cooling system.
My coolant temp stays around 83degrees and my oil temps are at 105 degrees
What oil pump will you be running? i have a melling standard volume high pressure, lowest psi i see is 50..... When i do springs i will try the low volume melling pump
I should've put the additional parts listed in my thread but I will just tell you here.
I have a custom Adrad radiator setup. Designed to cool about 1500-2000hp
I also have a mezeire electric water pump which flows 55GPM.
I have an improved racing oil cooler (MHX-520 20 row) with a engine oil thermostat. It activates at 82 degrees and has full flow at 95 degrees.
And a 160 degree thermostat too.
The oil pump is most likely a melling but I haven't asked my builder what brand pump.
I also have a PWR power steering oil cooler kit too.
I mainly got this because on my VZ I managed to find a brand new HSV linear steering rack in Tasmania. It was one of the last ones in the country.
If you didn't already know, these racks were only put in certain VY-VZ HSV models.
This got rid of the variable ratio and had a fixed ratio setup. Kind of like the VF models but without it being electric.
This made the steering sharper, more direct, and consistent at all times. Especially off centre. It feels like a go cart almost.
However I found I had to be less aggressive with alignment setup and had to use more toe in so turn in wasn't too quick.
More toe in smoothed it right out.

I cannot find any info on these evans pumps.
How many GPM does yours flow?
I was thinking if you had an electric pump you may see some more HP.
Everyone that has fitted one say the first thing they notice is that their engine is more responsive and revs quicker.
Also when I heard mine at my builders place, it was silent running.
Couldn't hear a thing even with the bonnet open.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I've found also that if you tune the car so the high speed fans come in early, instead of just the low speed, it really helps to stop the heat from building up and keeps the temps low for the most part. You just need a strong battery and alternator, as the fans suck a heap of juice being on/off all the time on high speed.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:37 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

What are average ambient summer temps in that part of the world?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
What are average ambient summer temps in that part of the world?
This year in the state of Victoria (and other states) the summer has been very mild since all the wild fires happened. Were barely many days over 86F in Melbourne this summer.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:47 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by Launch
This year in the state of Victoria (and other states) the summer has been very mild since all the wild fires happened. Were barely many days over 86F in Melbourne this summer.
This isn’t normal I’d think? Average summer temps are usually much higher? Mid 90F average?
Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should've put the additional parts listed in my thread but I will just tell you here.
I have a custom Adrad radiator setup. Designed to cool about 1500-2000hp
I also have a mezeire electric water pump which flows 55GPM.
I have an improved racing oil cooler (MHX-520 20 row) with a engine oil thermostat. It activates at 82 degrees and has full flow at 95 degrees.
And a 160 degree thermostat too.
The oil pump is most likely a melling but I haven't asked my builder what brand pump.
I also have a PWR power steering oil cooler kit too.
I mainly got this because on my VZ I managed to find a brand new HSV linear steering rack in Tasmania. It was one of the last ones in the country.
If you didn't already know, these racks were only put in certain VY-VZ HSV models.
This got rid of the variable ratio and had a fixed ratio setup. Kind of like the VF models but without it being electric.
This made the steering sharper, more direct, and consistent at all times. Especially off centre. It feels like a go cart almost.
However I found I had to be less aggressive with alignment setup and had to use more toe in so turn in wasn't too quick.
More toe in smoothed it right out.

I cannot find any info on these evans pumps.
How many GPM does yours flow?
I was thinking if you had an electric pump you may see some more HP.
Everyone that has fitted one say the first thing they notice is that their engine is more responsive and revs quicker.
Also when I heard mine at my builders place, it was silent running.
Couldn't hear a thing even with the bonnet open.
The Evans water pump flows 65gpm, made by evans waterless coolant. Im not chasing any more power after i do the flex fuel... I'll try a slightly smaller cam whn i change springs in september. Will go 255/269 114.5+3.5.....
Old 03-16-2020, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Launch
I've found also that if you tune the car so the high speed fans come in early, instead of just the low speed, it really helps to stop the heat from building up and keeps the temps low for the most part. You just need a strong battery and alternator, as the fans suck a heap of juice being on/off all the time on high speed.

Water temps stay at 180f may touch 190f on occasion... My fans run 60% low and 95% high but never heard high speed come on. I took my oil thermostat off, it pushed oil temps up by 50f, just means i hv to wait an extra 5 mins before i can lay into it.
Summer temps in Melbourne range from 80f to 105f daytime and coolest night would be around 55f. I spend a lot of time 100miles inland and daytime there 90f+ day after day and coldest night would be about 65f
Old 03-16-2020, 02:14 PM
ModSquad

Pretty much what summer temps are here in N Ga. mid 90’s day and 70 nights.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a really dry heat here in summer
Old 03-16-2020, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bortous with going solid roller your definitely not going to have a quiet engine.. Mine sounds like a clapped out ls1 until it hits 2500rpm , with the rockers tapping away and the clutch plates rattling, the extractors pinging...I dont like it up till 2500, but i wouldnt change it lol
Old 03-16-2020, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Mick, why are you going for a smaller cam?
Also the crow cams solid you are using is not a low lash solid is it?
With that much lash it's definitely going to make noise.
My old cam motion llsr was dead quiet.
​​​​​couldn't hear a thing.
This new comp cam should also be quiet too but am setting lash around .010 hot hopefully depending on what Tony recommends.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:30 PM
ModSquad

Bortous with going solid roller your definitely not going to have a quiet engine.. Mine sounds like a clapped out ls1 until it hits 2500rpm , with the rockers tapping away and the clutch plates rattling, the extractors pinging...I dont like it up till 2500, but i wouldnt change it lol
Mick, why are you going for a smaller cam?
Also the crow cams solid you are using is not a low lash solid is it?
With that much lash it's definitely going to make noise.
My old cam motion llsr was dead quiet.
​​​​​couldn't hear a thing.
This new comp cam should also be quiet too but am setting lash around .010 hot hopefully depending on what Tony recommends.
I have a Comp solid roller in my 434. It’s not a LLSR. I have experimented with lash, both at .003 and .002...set at room temp of course. At either setting, it’s the absolute quietest valvetrain I’ve ever heard in an LS engine. Aluminum block here. Isky lifters, 3/8 Manton pushrods, YT rockers, no lash caps.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 828 Likes on 414 Posts

Sounds like a fun setup! A buddy of mine has a HCI LS7 in his GXP G8 that makes about 640whp. Its a blast to drive and fairly quick for how heavy it is.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my cold lash is set at .008, i did have it set at .010 and it tapped pretty loud.. I think the extractors make it noisy.
Just want to try a different cam Bortous
Old 03-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

my cold lash is set at .008, i did have it set at .010 and it tapped pretty loud.. I think the extractors make it noisy.
Just want to try a different cam Bortous
ALREADY???? lol. You thinking more lumpy or less lumpy?
Old 03-18-2020, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
ALREADY???? lol. You thinking more lumpy or less lumpy?
less lumpy.. 38degrees now so will go down to 34. To much fuel gettin pumped out exhaust . Tonight my mate was behind me and said it was spitting fire on changes....Will try another cam again next yr when change springs... Then keep what i think is best
Old 03-18-2020, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Mick, when we convert to hydraulic specs your current camshaft ends up being a 252/258 113LSA +3 which equals 29 degrees of overlap warm.
I thought this would be ok in a 454? Have you tried raising your idle speed a bit? What does it sit on?
I would probably get Mamo to help you with camshaft selection using his comp solid lobes which will run quieter than the ones you have and will require less lash.
You should be able to get away with around.006 cold lash on iron which should make a good difference with noise.
Less overlap will equal less fuel and engine will probably drive smoother too maybe.
Although you did mention quite a few times that the driving experience was already very smooth.

Quick Reply: LSX 454 freshen up