Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX 454 freshen up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 245 Likes on 164 Posts

I have my tune ready to go but my original ecu was corrupt , bought another same serial number and flashed original tune in now getting a crank no start......
Checked all the usuall subject so thinking it must be a link issue
Old 11-08-2019, 05:32 AM
TECH Resident

Finally sorted out the crank no start issue. tried a third crank sensor and it fired straight up.
Tuning begins
Old 11-08-2019, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickyinks
Finally sorted out the crank no start issue. tried a third crank sensor and it fired straight up.
Tuning begins
About time.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Ive been tuning with Pat G for the past week and have got the tune very close now. I think 1 more tickle and ill be happy. Want to give a big Thanks to Pat for working with me while he was on vacation. Thanks mate
One question i have is my coolant temps stay around the 180 and since i have put a thermostat on oil cooler my oil temps are 210-215. Does coolant temp dictate engine operating temps or does oil temps. Reason i ask is i have my oil rad fan hooked to my coolant rad fan and with my coolant temps not kicking on i dont get my oil fan coming on. Is it ok to have my coolant fan kick on at 170 to bring my oil temps down to 200-205.
My last engine was hydraulic roller lsx454 with ls3 heads n fast intake. Now solid roller Lsx454 with mamo heads and intake and it would make the old engine look like it 6cyl....
Solid roller all the way, this new engine is absolutely sick
The following users liked this post:
jmilz28 (12-24-2023)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,230 Posts

Ive been tuning with Pat G for the past week and have got the tune very close now. I think 1 more tickle and ill be happy. Want to give a big Thanks to Pat for working with me while he was on vacation. Thanks mate
One question i have is my coolant temps stay around the 180 and since i have put a thermostat on oil cooler my oil temps are 210-215. Does coolant temp dictate engine operating temps or does oil temps. Reason i ask is i have my oil rad fan hooked to my coolant rad fan and with my coolant temps not kicking on i dont get my oil fan coming on. Is it ok to have my coolant fan kick on at 170 to bring my oil temps down to 200-205.
My last engine was hydraulic roller lsx454 with ls3 heads n fast intake. Now solid roller Lsx454 with mamo heads and intake and it would make the old engine look like it 6cyl....
Solid roller all the way, this new engine is absolutely sick
I dream about coolant temps around 180 and oil temps at 210-215. Cost me a bundle to get there. Leave it be. Coolant temps dictate engine temps. As long as your running a quality synthetic, your oil temps are great. Mamo rocks! Pat G is exceptional! You have quite a hotrod sir!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

When do you take to the dyno to see the final before and after numbers? On these builds where I see the difference is the TQ curve is very flat from 5,000-6,000 with a taper off at 6,500 which results in the bigger hp gains. Probably won't see too much at say 4,000 rpm as your old components could handle that RPM for this size engine. Looks like a great build.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I dream about coolant temps around 180 and oil temps at 210-215. Cost me a bundle to get there. Leave it be. Coolant temps dictate engine temps. As long as your running a quality synthetic, your oil temps are great. Mamo rocks! Pat G is exceptional! You have quite a hotrod sir!
Ours builds are similiar it seems. Im still on break in oil at the moment, will swap it out to a quality synthetic at 1000kms. After a bit more tuning ill do a run up the mountain and see how temps hold up.

Originally Posted by Double06
When do you take to the dyno to see the final before and after numbers? On these builds where I see the difference is the TQ curve is very flat from 5,000-6,000 with a taper off at 6,500 which results in the bigger hp gains. Probably won't see too much at say 4,000 rpm as your old components could handle that RPM for this size engine. Looks like a great build.
The after butt dyno is sayin this new build is up everywhere.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

With help from PatG ive been tuning the new engine for the past few weeks and its 99% done. All i can say is this new engine is absolutely mental. It would put the old set up to shame
Im surprised how well it drives, Ive driven it to the city a few times , stop and go traffic without a problem. It'll cruise down the freeway at 1600 rpm, smooth as silk.
give the throttle a tickle tho and all hell breaks loose.
I was asked if i had an issue with the engine because id only been to 68% throttle , made me laugh so hard because even new 285/30/19 michellin pilot sport cup 2 on it thats all i could give it before it lit up.
Cars done 800miles , Ive checked lash twice now and lash is the same as when it went together. Its had 2 oil changes so far , cut filters open and both were clean as. Valvoline VR1 will be going in on the weekend. No oil usage at all. catch can has only collected water.... Im thinking the builds been a success. Im stoked
The following 2 users liked this post by Mickyinks:
Che70velle (12-12-2019), rkupon1 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Another reason why I prefer the Darton dry sleeves over the MID setup. ProLine which is 20 minutes from me and has done some work for me, won’t touch a MID block. They say they are too inconsistent because the cylinders move around too much.
Rereading this whole thread, and I just noticed something in this post. THE ProLine? As in the 481X ProLine???
Old 12-12-2019, 09:31 AM

With help from PatG ive been tuning the new engine for the past few weeks and its 99% done. All i can say is this new engine is absolutely mental. It would put the old set up to shame
Im surprised how well it drives, Ive driven it to the city a few times , stop and go traffic without a problem. It'll cruise down the freeway at 1600 rpm, smooth as silk.
I was asked if i had an issue with the engine because id only been to 68% throttle , made me laugh so hard because even new 285/30/19 michellin pilot sport cup 2 on it thats all i could give it before it lit up.
Cars done 800miles , Ive checked lash twice now and lash is the same as when it went together. Its had 2 oil changes so far , cut filters open and both were clean as. Valvoline VR1 will be going in on the weekend. No oil usage at all. catch can has only collected water.... Im thinking the builds been a success. Im stoked
Glad you posted that up. I keep trying to tell people it isn't the maintenance nightmare it's made out to be. Most people once they drive a solid roller motor, that's all they'll want. Crisp and clean RPM like nothing you'll ever feel.

Follow up question -- this is still on the 259/265 cam? I've been thinking that the heads will mechanically tame the cam due to port velocity. If you're getting stellar results on the bigger cam, then that makes me feel really good about decisions I've made on mine.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Hey man,
Where abouts in Australia are you?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

If a nightmare is doing 30 minutes work on your car once a month maybe they should think about swapping to a prius. Its as simple as unplugging leads, i can get to valve cover bolts without removing coils so undo bolts, , spin the crank a few times checking lash as u go and put covers and leads back on. It is that simple.
I will pull the heads in a yrs time to check spring pressures and to check lifters , i will replace both at that time , itll give me a good reference point for future maintenance
The cam is the 259/265, it has surprised me with how tame it is. In saying that in traffic it sux because all it wants to do is go, actually i think thats me wanting to .
Last cam was the BTR stroker cam 239/254, this new one sounds way tougher but its behave no worse , if anything better than the BTR cam.
initially i was uncertain whether i made the right choice to go solid, but now i couldnt be happier . This things awesome
Old 12-12-2019, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bortous
Hey man,
Where abouts in Australia are you?
Glen Waverly,
Old 12-12-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Glen Waverly,
Ok your not that far.
Would you mind if we were to meet one day so I could see your beast and maybe go for a ride in it?
I'm really intrigued by your build.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah thats cool... busy up till xmas day but after that no probs

Mick
Old 12-12-2019, 03:57 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Rereading this whole thread, and I just noticed something in this post. THE ProLine? As in the 481X ProLine???
Yessir. They are in Ball Ground Ga. FuelTech is located in the very same parking lot, right across from them. Very, very cool guys. You can walk in anytime and they will happily give you a tour. All the hyper shiny billet goodness will mess you up! When I tore my 434 back down after 40 miles for ring issues, my crank was darkened on one journal. Oil got really hot. It was about to pick up a bearing, which would have been no bueno. Anyhoo, I carried the crank to Proline to see if they would check it and re-polish. Told me to come back in an hour and it would be ready. True story. Watch an episode of Street Outlaws. Majority of those guys are running ProLine bullets.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM
ModSquad

‘Awesome sir. Thanks for giving us feedback! Enjoy that monster!
Old 12-12-2019, 09:09 PM

Yessir. They are in Ball Ground Ga. FuelTech is located in the very same parking lot, right across from them. Very, very cool guys. You can walk in anytime and they will happily give you a tour. All the hyper shiny billet goodness will mess you up! When I tore my 434 back down after 40 miles for ring issues, my crank was darkened on one journal. Oil got really hot. It was about to pick up a bearing, which would have been no bueno. Anyhoo, I carried the crank to Proline to see if they would check it and re-polish. Told me to come back in an hour and it would be ready. True story. Watch an episode of Street Outlaws. Majority of those guys are running ProLine bullets.
I heard AJ is making a watercooled 481x for street use. Expensive but would be the awesome.

I know the fireball is a 481x. Seems like an extremely reliable engine for the duty it sees.

Sorry. /hijack
Old 12-24-2019, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

has anyone with tfs260 heads noticed how much coolant flows throw steam vent tubes?
I was bleeding air from heads, i pull tube from steam vent at engine that joins heads and runs to radiator, and poor water down tube into radiator which vents air from steam pipes at engine. In the ls3 heads i had on before these a nice steady flow of water would come out , with these TFS 260 mamo heads i get a dribble coming out and that doesnt seem rite compared to the coolant flow thru ls3 heads. Any thoughts?
Old 12-26-2019, 07:05 AM

has anyone with tfs260 heads noticed how much coolant flows throw steam vent tubes?
I was bleeding air from heads, i pull tube from steam vent at engine that joins heads and runs to radiator, and poor water down tube into radiator which vents air from steam pipes at engine. In the ls3 heads i had on before these a nice steady flow of water would come out , with these TFS 260 mamo heads i get a dribble coming out and that doesnt seem rite compared to the coolant flow thru ls3 heads. Any thoughts?
I'll let you know in a few days if all goes well. I'm pretty used to a good steady stream coming out. Like an 8 year old peeing, not a 80 year old peeing. Did you run all four corners or did you block off the rears? not that that should make a difference, but I'm curious.

Quick Reply: LSX 454 freshen up