Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 New heads, new lifters, now barely starts and runs like hell. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 New heads, new lifters, now barely starts and runs like hell. Please help

Motor is a 2006 GTO LS2 with Magnusson supercharger, andTick Performance blower cam, installed in 1968 Chevelle.This has been driven in this situation for a couple of years and dyno tuned at 605hp to the wheels. It was running perfectly okay before the following mods.

Over the last couple of months I did a head swap along with a lifter replacement and new push rods from Manton. The heads were built locally with 2.020 intake valves. The lifters are Johnson short travels with the link bar.

I'm getting fuel and spark.

When I try to start, it will not start UNLESS I add heavy gas pedal input, then it comes to life. If I let off the gas, it putters out and dies. If I keep the throttle about 25% and the RPMs over 1000, it will run and sounds clean and mean. But it's rich af. All I smell is fuel and it's coming heavy out the tailpipes with heavy smoke.

I have no CELs. It does seem indicative of a heavy vacuum leak, but I can't seem to find one. There are only so many spots for a vacuum leak. All but one vacuum port on the supercharger intake are plugged. The one in use is going to the brake booster. Someone suggested maybe a faulty O2 sensor. I'm going to try to do a sensor test tomorrow.

My first question is does it just need a new tune because of the head swap and is the afr just that messed up from the swap? If that's not normal for a head swap, I'm looking for some suggestions for troubleshooting steps. I do have a decent scanner that can pull data from sensors like long term and short term fuel trims and the like.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by leblanc1; 10-25-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Exactly what is different about the heads compared to before?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Exactly what is different about the heads compared to before?
Previous: Stock heads, stock valves, beehive double springs for the blower cam

After: Intake 2.200, exhaust unknown at this moment, double springs
Old 10-24-2019, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

No such thing as beehive double springs. Single only.
Any porting? Bowl work?
Old 10-24-2019, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Not normal for a head swap. Something else is badly wrong.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Sounds like it's dumping gobs of fuel into the engine. Flooring throttle during cranking clears the flood and that's why it can start.

Check your data logs and look for something that's out of whack. I kind of suspect the engine thinks it's really cold (air or coolant) and it is adding a lot of fuel as if it were starting up in Arctic weather.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 10-24-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Could the coolant temp sensor being faulty or it's plug not connecting properly cause this. That gets swapped with a head swap.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 363 Likes on 235 Posts

Check the plugs real good like Launch mentioned, a bad/not connected coolant temp sensor will cause it run super bad. If that checks out, you need to double check your pushrod length. If you put too long a pushrod in it, the valve will not close completely and will do exactly like what you seeing. With the short travel lifters, there is very little room for error.

BTW, you have a 2.200 intake valve on a 4.0? Bore?
Old 10-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
No such thing as beehive double springs. Single only.
Any porting? Bowl work?
I stand corrected. Just double springs before and after.

No porting. Yes to some bowl work by the head builder.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Sounds like it's dumping gobs of fuel into the engine. Flooring throttle during cranking clears the flood and that's why it can start.

Check your data logs and look for something that's out of whack. I kind of suspect the engine thinks it's really cold (air or coolant) and it is adding a lot of fuel as if it were starting up in Arctic weather.
What exact data should I be looking at....and what are normal parameters for that data? I think it's kind of difficult to get any accurate read because the car can't idle. So I'm having to use throttle to keep it running, and if I'm doing that, the data that's being collected is constantly at different throttle position settings.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
Check the plugs real good like Launch mentioned, a bad/not connected coolant temp sensor will cause it run super bad. If that checks out, you need to double check your pushrod length. If you put too long a pushrod in it, the valve will not close completely and will do exactly like what you seeing. With the short travel lifters, there is very little room for error.

BTW, you have a 2.200 intake valve on a 4.0? Bore?
I'm definitely concerned about the pushrod length as I was having some issues getting good measurements at first, but then I felt I got it good. I measured pushrods using the measuring tool to zero lash then added the .030 preload per the lifter mfr instructions. Will a compression check verify if my valves aren't fully seating?

Correct, the head builder I went to used 2.200 on a 4.0 bore LS2. Are there concerns with this?
Old 10-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Launch
Could the coolant temp sensor being faulty or it's plug not connecting properly cause this. That gets swapped with a head swap.
Yes, I swapped two coolant sensors from the old heads to the new heads.

Shouldn't I expect to get a code if the computer isn't picking up proper signals from the various sensors though? Or maybe it's not running enough cycles to trip a code yet?
Old 10-24-2019, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leblanc1
What exact data should I be looking at....and what are normal parameters for that data?
First thing I would look at is the air temp and coolant temp. Readings won't be erratic. You can even check it with a cheap OBD2 scanning tool that has a data stream function.

Some advice.... You have a custom engine in an old car. It is necessary that you should have tuning software and be somewhat familiar with it. I can't understand how you even got along so far.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Launching!

First thing I would look at is the air temp and coolant temp. Readings won't be erratic. You can even check it with a cheap OBD2 scanning tool that has a data stream function.

Some advice.... You have a custom engine in an old car. It is necessary that you should have tuning software and be somewhat familiar with it. I can't understand how you even got along so far.
I have a scan tool that can data log. I'll check those readings.

Great advice, no doubt. I've made it this far because of folks like you willing to help along the way. The mechanics of the whole thing is fairly easy. The tuning and data part, that's when I'd take it to a dyno tuner. But you're right, I'm thinking the next project might be the Terminator X Max. I never had the interest or need to get into HP Tuners.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Launching!

These are the data points my scanner can track live...

I noticed the IAT and ECT temps stayed steady through the 27 frames, which was about 30 seconds of "run time".

Old 10-24-2019, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

43% throttle, 27.5 degrees advance, and MAP at 2x ambient pressure..... at idle???

With key ON and engine OFF, sweep through throttle from 0% to 100%. Is it smooth and have full range?
Old 10-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Launching!

43% throttle, 27.5 degrees advance, and MAP at 2x ambient pressure..... at idle???

With key ON and engine OFF, sweep through throttle from 0% to 100%. Is it smooth and have full range?
Have to realize that it won't start without throttle input. So this is frame 1, at the beginning. I turn the key, then start pressing on the throttle to get it to fire off. The car won't idle on its own, it will die if I let the gas off. The throttle position readings are spot on and it's smooth.

I think I'm more concerned with the short term fuel trims. 99%....O2 sensor is telling the computer it's mega lean and needs more fuel. Most will say "vacuum leak"....I get that. I'm just not seeing where it would be at the moment. This setup is quite simple. There's no MAF (speed density tuned), there's no VATS or emissions.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Here's a second data set at frame 15:

Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So how many times have you started it, and have you actual driven it? Are you sure this isn't just the normal PCM relearning that happens when it's been disconnected for awhile? That usually takes just one drive to go back to normal.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

What MAP sensor are you using?

And do you know what is the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Is one of those channels the injector duty cycle? I'm not very familiar with the factory stuff (Holley EFI user)

Last edited by QwkTrip; 10-24-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: LS2 New heads, new lifters, now barely starts and runs like hell. Please help