Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Low hot idle oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low hot idle oil pressure?

I'm looking for some information on the typical hot idle oil pressure for an ls.

When idling cold, oil pressure is around 25-30 psi.
Once the car gets up to operating temperature, the oil pressure drops SUBSTANTIALLY. I'm seeing numbers around 8-10 psi @ idle at coolant temps of 200 degrees. This seems to be far too low, possibly indicating an issue.

What is your experience with oil pressure?

I am worried because I just had some major work done on the car and I'm fixating on the vehicle vitals. Wouldn't you know, I don't remember what the "normal" was for this car before all my work was done.

Camaro SS
Manual
112XXX miles

--------------------------------------------------------
Here is some information about the the work done.
I don't want to front load anyone's perceptions about the possible issues with oil pressure, but here goes.
I dropped a valve on #5 cylinder.
both heads came off. The head shop replaced all seats and seals on both head. They repaired the combustion chamber and replaced intake valve and guilds on the one damaged head's chamber.
The mechanic at the shop replaced #5 piston and rod assembly.
Bonus round: I did have a P219A pop up once. But it hasn't showed up for several run cycles. I haven't ruled out an exhaust leak.
-------------------------------

Cold idle psi.

Hot idle psi

oil pressure at 2000 rpm

Last edited by RacerChick; 03-06-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:45 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Oil pickup tube o-ring possibly
The following users liked this post:
RacerChick (03-12-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did have the same thought. I assume that the mechanic had to drop the pickup tube to drop the pan in a 5 gen camaro. Idk for sure though. That would be the best case possibly.
The next question wouls be how much of a pain in the *** is it to drop the pan and tube without a lift and dropping the cross memeber.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m agreeing with the above posts. Oil pickup tube is your first area to inspect. Your issue reminds me of a 6.0 I installed and upon first drive oil pressure dropped to 10psi after the engine warmed up. Replaced with a better than stock oil pump and O ring. No more low oil pressure.
Double06 (03-13-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerChick
I did have the same thought. I assume that the mechanic had to drop the pickup tube to drop the pan in a 5 gen camaro. Idk for sure though. That would be the best case possibly.
The next question wouls be how much of a pain in the *** is it to drop the pan and tube without a lift and dropping the cross memeber.
I haven't done a Camaro but have done it on a G8 (same platform). You will need to take the engine mounts loose and jack the engine up by the trans bell housing and I think you can get to everything that way.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerChick
IDK if you want to try this, but several of us have tried filling the sump with approx another 4 quarts of oil, so you have 10-11 qts in the sump. This is usually enough oil to submerge the O-ring in oil, which effectively 'plugs the hole in the straw', so to speak. WARNING!!!! DO NOT REV THE ENGINE WITH THAT MUCH OIL!!!!!! Just let it idle. If your pressure goes up significantly, BINGO!!! If not, then there's obviously another issue. This worked in my buddies C5. Also, put a large, cheap plastic tarp under the engine to catch any possible oil, or your concrete floor will have oil stain damage. FWIW......
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
Double06 (03-29-2022), G Atsma (03-28-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 788 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
IDK if you want to try this, but several of us have tried filling the sump with approx another 4 quarts of oil, so you have 10-11 qts in the sump. This is usually enough oil to submerge the O-ring in oil, which effectively 'plugs the hole in the straw', so to speak. WARNING!!!! DO NOT REV THE ENGINE WITH THAT MUCH OIL!!!!!! Just let it idle. If your pressure goes up significantly, BINGO!!! If not, then there's obviously another issue. This worked in my buddies C5. Also, put a large, cheap plastic tarp under the engine to catch any possible oil, or your concrete floor will have oil stain damage. FWIW......
Could also jack up the rear of the car to submerge the pickup with oil.

You didn't say anything about the bearings in the engine. Were they replaced, inspected, etc...? I would pull the filter and cut it open to check for glitter in the filter element.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts

In my mind, two possibilities exist.

One, the aforementioned oil pump pickup O-ring.

Two is interesting to me: they replaced the rod (presumably the bearing with it) and piston. What was the reasoning? Did the rod journal or bearing suffer damage? Sure, folks replace rods and pistons all the time in between rounds of racing, but in modern precision machined engines it's not the best practice. Ask the mechanic what the measured clearance is. I'm going to wager the "rod replacement" is the cause of your low oil pressure.

pannetron (04-05-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

I just went through this with a L33 that I completely rebuilt. The long and short of mine was, I swapped the black (recommended by Melling) o-ring for green, and the oil pump from a 295 to a 365. Car went from 13# at hot idle with 5w30 in it, to 43-44# hot idle with 5w30.
I can't say if it was the o-ring for sure or the pump, but to me, the black o-ring is just too easy to get on for a good seal. JMO

Last edited by rpturbo; 04-26-2022 at 06:36 PM.
G Atsma (04-24-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the actual pressure with a mechanical guage. If it’s still low, odds would be the oil pickup oring.

Quick Reply: Low hot idle oil pressure?