Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 short block at SDPC!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 AM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I agree ... I have one of these on the way and have been waiting for almost a month now for someone to post something.

Kris, if you read this, can you let me know when my engine is shipping? Coming on 3 weeks now.

Thanks.
Mike W.
Mike,

I know that they are working on your motor as we speek, so I don't think it will be much longer. I hope to be able to ship first of nexr week. I will try to call you later this week with an update.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slowhawk already installed and put a top end on Cyborgs car! N/a it made great numbers can't wait till it gets the blower on! Just realised Cyborg posted in here but hasn't posted the numbers yet.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoysTransAm
16 pages and 6 months later still no dyno numbers on paper posted up? Anyone?

The search button is your friend

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=LS2+402

Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Oh KISS MY *** YOU *****! Learn a new saying!

Old 05-17-2005, 04:55 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Haha, that would be awesome if ANY of them involved the SDPC 402 that people are looking for numbers from.

Nice try though ....
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha, that would be awesome if ANY of them involved the SDPC 402 that people are looking for numbers from.

Nice try though ....
Numbers will be determined primarily by choice of cam, choice of heads, choice of compression (in that order, IMHO). The components that make up the 402 will affect power output much more than who built it. Heck, even your choice of oil stands a good chance at having more of an effect on HP, assuming builders are all competant.

Just my $.02
-T
Old 05-17-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Numbers will be determined primarily by choice of cam, choice of heads, choice of compression (in that order, IMHO). The components that make up the 402 will affect power output much more than who built it. Heck, even your choice of oil stands a good chance at having more of an effect on HP, assuming builders are all competant.

Just my $.02
-T
Of course ... which is why the people here are looking for some setups using the SDPC block, with the components SDPC uses .... therefore, looking at numbers of rapid motorsports 402's is somewhat silly, as I was saying.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Of course ... which is why the people here are looking for some setups using the SDPC block, with the components SDPC uses .... therefore, looking at numbers of rapid motorsports 402's is somewhat silly, as I was saying.
But theyre selling a short block. A short block does not have heads or a cam, nor has compression been determined by things like headgasket thickness and combustion chamber volume.

Switching shortblock and rotating assembly components will make a negligable difference in power output. If you switched from an eagle crank and eagle rods to a callies crank and lunati rods, do you think youd gain any power? Durability, perhaps, but not power. The only thing i could possibly see is that maybe a lower rotating weight could make slightly more HP, but I really feel the differences would be imperceptible.

-Tony
Old 05-17-2005, 01:34 PM

But theyre selling a short block. A short block does not have heads or a cam, nor has compression been determined by things like headgasket thickness and combustion chamber volume.

Switching shortblock and rotating assembly components will make a negligable difference in power output. If you switched from an eagle crank and eagle rods to a callies crank and lunati rods, do you think youd gain any power? Durability, perhaps, but not power. The only thing i could possibly see is that maybe a lower rotating weight could make slightly more HP, but I really feel the differences would be imperceptible.

-Tony
Oh of course, and I agree with everything you've said.

However, I think people like to see the numbers from the component they are spending 4g's on ... and not told to "use the search button" and shown a component from a different company, with completely different parts.... due to the fact that person couldn't find what everyone was asking for. JMO.

I do think the different pistons, different dish's, etc ... could have an effect on power ... however slight it could be. However, you see people bitching about the 5hp difference between the $400 and the $700 cat-back's all the time ...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do think the different pistons, different dish's, etc ... could have an effect on power ... however slight it could be.
Yes, but it has to do with compression ratio and not necessarily manufacturer.

However, you see people bitching about the 5hp difference between the $400 and the $700 cat-back's all the time ...
Im going to have to completely agree with you here.

Overall, It would be nice to see more review and info specifically pertaining to the SDPC LS2 based 402 shortblock. However I feel that reviews about workmanship and buildquality, as well as durability are much more important than power production. Its difficult to compare power anyway, as there is not "224 cam" for the 402 if you know what i mean. Everyones heads / cam / boltons will be a little different, which at the very least, will make comparisons between shortblocks confusing and misguided.

-T
Old 05-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Of course ... again, I'm thinking people just want to see this engine, built by SDPC, put out numbers along the lines as everyone else’s 402 is putting down .... In the same way as they want to see their magnaflow catback equal or outperform a different cat-back ... I'm pretty positive that nobody is going to be using these numbers to contrast different engine manufactures, but more likely using it to add SDPC to the list of the high quality engine builders which can be relied on to make the power the other companies make.

I was merely stating that telling people who were asking a legitimate question to "use the search," then post dyno results from a different engine company was rather "mean" (for lack of using a different word), and pointless. I think too many people spend their waking hours sitting on here waiting to jump and say "use the search," instead of just taking the same amount of time to simply answer the question. In my previous example, that would be like asking for dyno results of a new cat-back system, and having some "cool guy" come in, tell them to "use the search," then post dyno results of a Loudmouth or something. Granted it is going to be relatively close, but it's not what they asked for, and therefore is worthless in my mind.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Of course ... again, I'm thinking people just want to see this engine, built by SDPC, put out numbers along the lines as everyone else’s 402 is putting down .... In the same way as they want to see their magnaflow catback equal or outperform a different cat-back ... I'm pretty positive that nobody is going to be using these numbers to contrast different engine manufactures, but more likely using it to add SDPC to the list of the high quality engine builders which can be relied on to make the power the other companies make.

I was merely stating that telling people who were asking a legitimate question to "use the search," then post dyno results from a different engine company was rather "mean" (for lack of using a different word), and pointless. I think too many people spend their waking hours sitting on here waiting to jump and say "use the search," instead of just taking the same amount of time to simply answer the question. In my previous example, that would be like asking for dyno results of a new cat-back system, and having some "cool guy" come in, tell them to "use the search," then post dyno results of a Loudmouth or something. Granted it is going to be relatively close, but it's not what they asked for, and therefore is worthless in my mind.
Wow, interesting point of view.
Mean eh? Ok.
Out of 500 posts, that's the first time I've told someone that. I always try to be helpful to others. I've probably done 15,000+ searches on this site trying to solve tuning and mechanical issues. So yes, I happily practice what I preach. And now I feel like I'm being chastized for reminding someone to take some initiative.

Oh well, I'll apologize (though I'm still not sure why) so this crap will die and we can all get back to what this is supposed to be about. A great technical thread from great engine builders. Sorry to have injured so many fragile egos.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Give me a break guys, why would you be slamming SDPC?

SDPC isn't responsible for dynoing these cars. The OWNERS of the cars are.

Either wait for dyno results from someone who has purchased one or STFU

Old 05-18-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
.... Oh well, I'll apologize (though I'm still not sure why) so this crap will die and we can all get back to what this is supposed to be about. A great technical thread from great engine builders. Sorry to have injured so many fragile egos.
Well I appreciate the effort if you were genuinely attempting to help ...

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Give me a break guys, why would you be slamming SDPC?

SDPC isn't responsible for dynoing these cars. The OWNERS of the cars are.

Either wait for dyno results from someone who has purchased one or STFU

Eh, nobody was slamming on SDPC at all? I am personally waiting for an engine built by them to get here ... wouldn't make much sense to slam them. Second, I'm pretty sure that everyone here is patiently waiting for an OWNER of a SDPC block to get back to us with some dyno numbers ....
Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
In fact an order of magnitude or 2 stronger than my over 400 rwhp H/C/headers motor that preceded this.
In the great words of Indigo Montoya, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Magnitude is typically used to indicate a 10x increase, occasionally used to indicate a 2x increase. Wiki

Not trying to nitpick, but I don't think you were talking about feeling an increase to 800-1600 hp, or 4000+ hp, so not sure what kind of range of power increase you were attempting to describe.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
In the great words of Indigo Montoya, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Magnitude is typically used to indicate a 10x increase, occasionally used to indicate a 2x increase. Wiki

Not trying to nitpick, but I don't think you were talking about feeling an increase to 800-1600 hp, or 4000+ hp, so not sure what kind of range of power increase you were attempting to describe.
Merely harmless embellishment...

Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line." Ha ha ha... Ha ha ha.... ha ha~~~~~ [Thud]
Old 05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Ha-ha, you fool. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line." Ha ha ha... Ha ha ha.... ha ha~~~~~ [Thud]
BEST movie EVER!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

I am really interested in this. Anyone able to get in smogged in Calif?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
I am really interested in this. Anyone able to get in smogged in Calif?
I don't see why they wouldn't....it isn't like the block is stamped 402 LS2 or anything and from what I have seen, they look similar enough to the LS1 that your average smog station employee wouldn't notice the difference.........so long as the car had the required smog equipment for that year car, it should be fine.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Visually I didn't think it would be an issue. I am more worried about the sniffer.

Quick Reply: LS2 402 short block at SDPC!