Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LG In Car Video St Pete World Challenge C6-LS2 3rd place

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG In Car Video St Pete World Challenge C6-LS2 3rd place

Hi GUys,

We have to run a 67.9mm restrictor plate in the LS2 even with a 90mm throttle body.

Excuse the quality. We are getting more band width soon but for now here is the St Pete GP incar video from my C6 Race car through the streets of St Pete. We finished 3rd.

Next race, Road Atlanta in one week April 10th.

It is like driving 140mph through a construction zone! We really didn't have anything for the first two cars, a Viper and a GT3 Porsche. We have to run a 67.9mm restrictor plate and we must weigh 3000 pounds (3200 with fuel) There were 5 full course yellows. We got some very good starts. Especially the standing start where we passed both Cadillacs CTSv factory cars and a couple of vipers.

After the race, the race officials took my cylinder heads away and checked them out. They just told me yesterday that they were legal. Then they changed a rule so we now have to change our heads anyway. That's racing.

Road Racing=Drag racing with corners in the way to annoy you.

Enjoy

Lou G

VIDEO LINK:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jhester/lg/page2/page2.html

Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome video, the restarts were awesome! Can't wait to watch the remainder during lunch.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Awesome vid and great finish, Lou. I love that in-car footage.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

amazing... what did that viper have that the others didnt?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
FormerVendor

508 cu in

LG
Old 04-09-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NICE!!! I plan on getting into racing someday I just need to get my foot in the door. I wouldn't know where to start. My dad raced pro motocross and supercross, and now all we do is talk about racing our cars (1979 TA and 1999 TA). That's awesome.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Lou!
Old 04-09-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
508 cu in

LG
good race car sounds badass
Old 04-09-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Maybe its just me...but with my massive amount of experience in racing (ie GT3, GT4 ect.) looked like your C6 braked alittle better than the others... Lou would you say that was a conserative run....looked as if you could have pushed it much harder through some of the corners...braking later...awsome vid and look forward to a reply.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Restricted User

Very nice video LG. What rear gearing and transmission are you guys using? Who is driving ?? I hope you don't mind, I'll throw the link up on my site as well.

The start is definately a DRAG RACE....

I see they like to rub bumpers and fenders quite a bit too. That would make me cry after all the paint, fiber and fabrication work...but I guess that's all part of racing.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:49 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by 98darkbird
Maybe its just me...but with my massive amount of experience in racing (ie GT3, GT4 ect.) looked like your C6 braked alittle better than the others... Lou would you say that was a conserative run....looked as if you could have pushed it much harder through some of the corners...braking later...awsome vid and look forward to a reply.
NOSJohn and I were talking about the video and we came to the same conclusion. It looked like that C6 was out breaking the Viper by a large margin, but the Viper would pull away a little bit after the turn. I was thinking that maybe the Viper was faster straight line, but you guys proved me wrong when you went from 5th to 3rd and passed the viper.

Very nice video!!! Very nice car! Very nice driver. Any way I can bribe you into sticking an Ls7power.com sticker on that car?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

Ok guys, here is the explaination:

If the car ahead has a 1 second lead, that means that they will come to the corner 1 second sooner, and they will have to hit the brakes 1 second sooner. The car with the Camera, (me) will hold the gas down 1 second longer. And at 60 mph a car travels at 88 ft per second (about 5 car lengths) so it would appear as though the car behind is Gaining on corner entry/braking.

Then when the car in front leaves the corner, it leaves 1 second sooner so it is like bracket racing and it seems to get a head start, or it seems that the front car "takes the corner faster".

Each of the front 3 cars had lap times within 1/10 of a second per lap roughly. also in professional racing there is nothing left on the table that would allow someone to "push harder through the corners" or they would be doing it all along. (except for endurance racing)

The cars in front of me were braking as late as me, relative to the corner but just 1 second earlier than me because they were about 1 second ahead.

In reality the Viper does have more hp but on restarts we can sometimes out react them. Or out of a corner they might make a mistake and slip enough to allow us to get an advantage. Remember that a tire is about 80 inches in circumfrence. So if a car spins their tires only 2.7 times around coming out of a corner the car behind will gain one car length. That is why all racing is a game of "Inches and ounces".

Transmission: We use a regular Corvette M6 transmission that we blueprint. And in my car the gear ratio is 342:1. I don't like to use 5th gear which is an overdrive gear. Overdrive takes more hp to turn so we go faster in 4th gear. To do this, we have to run a 342 gear or 315 gear to still hit 160mph in 4th.

Hope that explains that.

thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM
Old 04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Lou, are all cars running the same size tires?

If you are running the 6 speed transmission and not using 2 gears, then that is just extra friction inside the case. Friction hurts power
Old 04-10-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

good race... what happened to the car that was in 2nd place in lap 9?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you change the 5th and 6th from an OD or get rid of them in some way to save weight? Or is that against the rules?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Nice race Lou. Imagine how well you would have finished if they didn't restrict you so much... Your car is very impressive... choked, not using two gears, 6.0litre instead of the 7.0 and you still hung with those guys. Bravo.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome Lou, great driving - I was watching it on SpeedVision today.

There was some great driving going on, what an exciting race. I was cheering the LG c6 on the whole time - congrats on the third place finish - way to go !

Cheers,
Bad30th
Old 04-10-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Take 5 psi out of all 4 tires. A put little wedge on the right side. Should be good for the next race . LOL Sorry always wanted to say that(yes I know its not nascar). Congrats on the race! Car looks Strong!
Is there tracks ur looking foward too. That you think the vette will be stronger in. Like longer straight aways? Its awsome to see one of a sponsers kicking some ***!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome job, Lou! What the hell was up with that Porsche that nudged you during the beginning of the race? I saw you nudged him back and I started laughing when the commentators said "Lou Gigliotti is a very aggressive driver!" Hahahaha.

Great run against those other cars... at one point you were around 6 secs ahead of the car behind you (Cadillac), but there were about 4000000 cautions, so everyone kept catching up. That has to **** you off when you're in front of someone by quite a few seconds and then the yellow flag drops and everyone catches up.

Anyway, great job today and great job of controlling the car with no traction control in the final laps

Mike
Old 04-11-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you should try that throttle body bypass mod.

Looks like a blast. Not sure if it was your driving or the mid range power the car made, but you jumped on those guys pretty well on the restarts.

I'd like to know about the tires too.

Quick Reply: LG In Car Video St Pete World Challenge C6-LS2 3rd place