Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Blue Devil Powertrain....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking Blue Devil Powertrain....

I thought it might be fun to speculate a little about what the upcoming "Blue Devil" powertrain might look like. I think if this project gets cleared for takeoff (sounds like it is cleared-Would not have happened without Lutz behind the wheel) it will highlight the best technology that GM has available-or will have available shortly- in the small block arena.

Here are my thoughts:
-Aluminum 6.2L block
-Dual Camshaft in block / Variable valve timing
-3V / Cylinder
-Dual spark plugs per cylinder
-Forged Slugs / Rods / Crankshaft
-Twinscrew style blower (similar to the Ford GT unit) with 10-12PSI of boost.

Rationale:
-6.2L block - to increase cylinder wall thickness (over current LS7/C5R blocks), and decrease stroke to cope with the increased cylinder pressures of forced induction.

-Dual camshaft in block (pushrod) - Because they can, and have submitted approval for a patent on this configuration. I personally dont see an advantage to this configuration over SOHC, but there are some implications behind cam phasers/ variable valve timing / with this configuration that I dont fully understand.

-Dual Spark plugs per cylinder- This makes for a tidy combustion chamber that should have some killer combustion/ swirl properties.

-Forced Induction - Because for some reason the torque characteristics of the more-than-two valved heads never seem to be able to duplicate the old school heads. Compare the torque curve on a dyno graph from a naturally aspirated '01 4V cobra motor to the roots blown '03 graph....The torque curve gets completely flat, and you gain 100ftlbs at 2200 RPM.

-Forged internals - Its required for forced induction - but really - Because GM is begging for you to put a smaller pulley in this beast, run 21lbs of boost, and rape your friendly Ferrari pimping neighbor .

What do you all think?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from the rumors i have heard they say wieght will be 2800-3000lb's

w/ a pully, exhaust and tune .. that's a 9 sec street car
Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

money says itll do 9's out of the box and will weigh 26-2800
Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by niphilli
Dual camshaft in block (pushrod) - Because they can, and have submitted approval for a patent on this configuration.
I believe that the drawings showed a direct injection port as well... HUGE gains are to be had here, especially in a FI setup. Just look at the LNF Ecotec in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline and how much power they're able to squeeze out of that little sucker! (I believe the LNF holds the record for the most hp/ci in GM's history...) DI on the top of the line 'Vette would be awesome! As for the dual cam setup, there were also patents of a single cam setup also with 3V/cyl... a bit more traditional.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was a twin turbo C5 a C6 block and heads. GM's performance group built it as a thank you to Rick Wagoner. Wagoner was from Duke, thus the "Blue Devil" name. That was the blue devil that started all the rumors. It is long gone (it met an untimely demise during testing). Seriously.

It is amazing how it has become such a myth!

-Geoff
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
money says itll do 9's out of the box and will weigh 26-2800
I'll take that bet.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=56133
Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Didn't the original "blue devil" catch fire overseas?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Oh, sorry, that should be.... Didn't the original "blue devil" have a thermal event overseas? LOL.

Last edited by ScottyRocket; 10-12-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A-man930
I believe that the drawings showed a direct injection port as well... HUGE gains are to be had here, especially in a FI setup. Just look at the LNF Ecotec in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline and how much power they're able to squeeze out of that little sucker! (I believe the LNF holds the record for the most hp/ci in GM's history...) DI on the top of the line 'Vette would be awesome! As for the dual cam setup, there were also patents of a single cam setup also with 3V/cyl... a bit more traditional.
You know what, come to think of it I think you are right....It did show a direct injection configuration .

You know, the more I think about it (reality check), I am not sure that the higher valvetrain mass of the 3V setups will work out in a high RPM application like the Uber-Vette, but it is nice to speculate.

It was a twin turbo C5 a C6 block and heads. GM's performance group built it as a thank you to Rick Wagoner. Wagoner was from Duke, thus the "Blue Devil" name. That was the blue devil that started all the rumors. It is long gone (it met an untimely demise during testing). Seriously.

It is amazing how it has become such a myth!

-Geoff
I guess only a handfull of people truely know the fate of the super vette, but all of the indications I have heard is that the project is a "go". Dealerships are taking deposits, rumors are flying,....

From what I understand the current prototype is a LS2 with a roots blower sitting on top. Lots of names like Corvette SS, Bluedevil, Stingray,... have been kicked around. Who knows what it will be called when/if it makes production.

Oh, sorry, that should be.... Didn't the original "blue devil" have a thermal event overseas? LOL.
LoL...You darned corporate lawyers...
Old 10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Im excited to see to see if they are going to build this car and if so it will be one bad vette
Old 10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

All i know at this point is, yes, it(what ever they are going to call it) will see production and will be supercharged.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

and expect dealers to mark it up to about 100k over invoice..

dealers=
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

To the thread starter, you got my mouth watering to get behind the wheel of one of these things. I hope your predictions come true, and if they do, will you make a prediction for the next Lottery drawing for me? !!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

All I see is too many moving parts.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What makes you guys think it will be 3V? Given the displacement and use of FI, they can easily reach the target HP goals with the standard 2V. 6.2L should be able to run L92 heads, also, and we all know how well those flow...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Teching In

i know its wishful thinking, but it would be nice to see GM collaborate with kenne bell on this one for the blower... i know GM has favored Eaton forever, but if they are gonna be serious about power, using direct injection(which i am sure they will,) than why not go with a gauranteed win for induction! not only will it keep the aftermarket suppliers happy, but that would also give some lucky new vette owners the ride of their lives!

Last edited by farsighted770; 10-17-2006 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

i see this thing being as simple as possible for the single reason of cost. how much will the addition of dual spark plugs per cyclidner, 3valves over 2 and dual cams add to the motor over using traditional methods and technologies. you have to remember they are aiming for a 100k msrp.to do that, your going to be looking at a l92 block with forged lower compression internals, maybe 9.0:1 maybe a little higher with direct injection, 2valves per cylinder, standard camshaft package, regular one spark plug per cylinder. you also have to remember they want a magensium frame and total carbon fiber body panels to attain that 2800# weight which will add a good amount of cash to the bill, dont be looking for a 30,000 dollar motor. i would put money on them just modding a l92 block with lower compression and valvetrain and getting a larger eaton, or possible that new maggie 122h, same blower as the gt500, possible with a little larger ports.

i would also bet that IF they ever released the motor as a crate, id bet it would cost about the same as a ls7, and would drive the ls7 price down to about 11,000 dollars. just speculation, but my $.02

i also forsee alot of accidents and high speed deaths, even more so than that of the current c6z's mortality rate
Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScottyRocket
Didn't the original "blue devil" catch fire overseas?
Milford proving grounds.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 AM
TECH Regular

Talking

It looks like the LS9 will be a LS3 with forged internals and a supercharger. The LS3 is basically a L92 truck engine with 2V heads, 6.2L, 450hp in the base Vette in '08, and a L76/L92 car intake.

I also read that the LS9 would be a 6.0L V8 DI (Direct Injection) DOHC motor supercharged, but that info looks like BS or just a motor GM was experimenting with and not for actual production use.

There is an interesting 3.6L V6 VVT DI DOHC motor GM announced back in May that is going to be used in alot of V-6 vehicles at the end of 2008(probably a base Camaro).

Last edited by Cobraeater; 10-19-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Blue Devil Powertrain....