Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

First impressions of my L92/L76 408 (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First impressions of my L92/L76 408 (a little long)

Guys I'll try and answer most if not all questions thrown my way..... I'm not going to beg you guys to keep it civil and on topic though, if you guys wanna get nasty in here feel free, i'll just make the thread go bye-bye.

I'll try and post specs on the car then i'll tell ya my opinion

99 WS6

Drivetrain:

Mcleod twin disk
Steel DS with denny's upgraded billet yoke
Moser 9" W/3:70's and posi (which is pretty much toast- 1 more posi for me, then i'll CONSIDER another route)
Spohn adj, T/A
poly motor/tranny mounts

Suspension:QA-1's @ all 4 corners (R's in the front)
300# front springs
BMR K-member
BMR upper and lower A-arms
BMR STB (ok this should really be considered an appearance mod LOL)
BMR LCA's
BMR Adj PHR
Stock Rear springs

Engine:

New GM 6.0 Block (4.030 overbore)
Eagle 4" crank
Eagle rods (with L19 rod bolt option)
Diamond pistons (-2cc I think LOL)
Mellings oil pump
7.4 pushrods
Synergy prepped L92 heads*** (See bottom of post)
L76 intake (out of the box)
No maf
42# RACETRONIX INJECTORS
racetronix twin intanks (with hobbs switch)
Nitro daves 90mm nitrous plate (nitrous isn't hooked up yet )
ARP head studs
ARP stainless header studs (their pretty trick imho)
200amp alternator
Synergy 2 step
STOCK PULLEY
STOCK WATER PUMP
Synergy stage 2 C6 Z06 cam* (See bottom of post)
American Racing 1 7/8" headers
Corsa Catback
Magnaflow bullet muffler in I pipe (my attempt to quiet it down.... but seriously considering going back to my bullet in the I pipe AND FACTORY MUFFLER CONFIGURATION)
__________________________________________________ _________
Ok this wasn't an easy build I basically wanted the world (xxx rwhp, AND ultimate drivability, AND when the car is on the jug- for it to act like a raped ape, and MOST IMPORTANT: LEAST AMOUNT OF CAM LOPE AS POSSIBLE.)

Well after a couple of hiccups (damn L19's were hitting oil pan/and windage tray ) and a little tranny hiccup I took the car on sat (test drove it fri. night)

car just wants to GO........ the amount of low end grunt is crazy (mind you my previous setup was a bottlefed H/C setup not to mention I have been in several stokers (mostly in Y bodies) and FI setups (again mostly in y bodies)

I have another few hundred miles to go before we put her on the dyno (i'll try and drive it to work everyday next week) but so far so good... this thing REALLY just wants to GO. Also I can't believe how rock solid my shifter is (due to VERY little cam lope)

NOW....... for the cam question:

For starters i don't know the specs. you may say........ but i didn't want to know them because I know the kind of person I am, and I would have more than likely tried to tell Rick how to do HIS JOB (by suggesting something different)... I figured hey....I tell him what I want... and let him do his job. After a few long discussions at night (while the guy was at home nonetheless) He decides his stage 2 C6 Z06 cam would fit the bill.

Can't remember if i already stated this or not... but this car WILL see a dyno in the next few weeks (holidays being the only hang up), and WILL see the track sometime in late january (weather dependent)

Ok let the questions begin

*** https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/602800-l92-flow-results-manifold.html
* https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/521502-new-stage-2-numbers.html

Last edited by dame; 01-02-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

not to be a dick, but why do people keep posting about their L92 combos with absolutely no results

would really like to see a dyno graph
Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 383ss
not to be a dick, but why do people keep posting about their L92 combos with absolutely no results

would really like to see a dyno graph
i would guess its winter and hard to put lots of miles on combos with the weather and youre snot suppose to dyno a fresh motor
Old 12-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Launching!

why 3.70's for gear why not 3.90 or 4.10?
personaly i have 4.11 its just a shift fest and considered a little higher gear myself but just wondering what your reasons are?

do you have a tru trac i thought those were tough
Old 12-10-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

first off,thanks for sharing.

if you can find out/post the amount of overlap the cam has,that's all the cam specs i want to know.total overlap and at .050 lift.that shouldn't give any secrets away.

what kind of work was done to the heads.just a valve job,any porting at all?any milling?

how does it idle?at what RPM?

and you say you've rode in strokers /FI setups before.how does this compare?what's your butt-o-meter tell you?

drivability,how is it?

that's all i can think of right now.and guys,let's not let this thread get out of hand.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383ss
not to be a dick,
You really are though.

I have intentions on dynoing it as SOON as the motor is broken in sir.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by B18CYA
why 3.70's for gear why not 3.90 or 4.10?
personaly i have 4.11 its just a shift fest and considered a little higher gear myself but just wondering what your reasons are?

do you have a tru trac i thought those were tough
My car has a raceweight of 3920 with me in it (I weight about 195) I have a fair amount of stereo in the car along with that heavy *** Optima Yellow top (works great for me though)

I don't know WHAT posi is in the moser (i was a newbie at the time and didn't ask those type of questions lol)

to answer your question though with damn near 2 tons of metal, AND 5-6000 clutch dumps, I didnt expect the posi to live forever..... I have heard lots of good things about the true trac ( i think that was the one) and will be changing it out sometime in late january

I picked the 3:70 because at the time I just wanted a little something more than stock.... now that I have the new motor... i think its a good choice (atleast when im on the jug and using 28's)
Old 12-10-2006, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 66deuce
first off,thanks for sharing.

if you can find out/post the amount of overlap the cam has,that's all the cam specs i want to know.total overlap and at .050 lift.that shouldn't give any secrets away.

what kind of work was done to the heads.just a valve job,any porting at all?any milling?

how does it idle?at what RPM?

and you say you've rode in strokers /FI setups before.how does this compare?what's your butt-o-meter tell you?

drivability,how is it?

that's all i can think of right now.and guys,let's not let this thread get out of hand.
guys click on the links at the bottom of the first post , and they will give you the information I HAVE on the heads and cam.

The drivibility is AWESOME (i think i've used the word "awesome" twice my whole life!)

My butt o meter tells me that this thing is a torque monster (especially considering the amount of weight i am) much more so than the strokers i've ridden in...... I can't comment on the FI stuff that i've been in, because i haven't had the chance to really "test" the full rpm range on mine yet

there is a little "base tune" on the car, and it idles pretty damn rock solid @ an indicated 850-900ish
Old 12-10-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dame
You really are though.

I have intentions on dynoing it as SOON as the motor is broken in sir.
I have the same opinion as 383ss. Just dyno it or put 500miles on it and watch the rings not seat.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

When the Dyno results come in it'll be good to see how the curves are I'm curious to see how low (rpm) and how high (lbs.) the torque numbers are.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds awesome...

Thanks for filling us in...

Looking forward to more info when available..

JB
Old 12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats, sounds like a nice combo. Good to hear that more results will be coming soon.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Teching In

I agree with the others. Post up a graph or show us a timeslip. If it is the badass motor you say it is, it should hold up no problem.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't post anything. I would just tease all of the blowhards looking for some free R&D.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gogogadget
I wouldn't post anything. I would just tease all of the blowhards looking for some free R&D.

Main reason why i won't do that is because there's a TON of information here brought to you by a SMALL group of REAL car enthusiast that don't mind helping the newbies out. (which i was once myself) as far as the idiots, haters, and KIDS that haven't and/or can't do what i did- but have the time to criticize: they can kick rocks!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be glad to see the dyno too... mine is going to be started tommorow (402LS2, L92)
Old 12-10-2006, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
I'll be glad to see the dyno too... mine is going to be started tommorow (402LS2, L92)

I know of a couple of people that will be waiting to hear about YOUR numbers (they both have 402's and are worried about bore size)

BTW good luck on your build
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too would love to hear total overlap numbers @ .050.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know of a couple of people that will be waiting to hear about YOUR numbers (they both have 402's and are worried about bore size)

BTW good luck on your build
I'm curious as to how much power its going to make and what kind of cam Bret's going to figure out

It's a 4.00" bore, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Main reason why i won't do that is because there's a TON of information here brought to you by a SMALL group of REAL car enthusiast that don't mind helping the newbies out. (which i was once myself) as far as the idiots, haters, and KIDS that haven't and/or can't do what i did- but have the time to criticize: they can kick rocks!
hell,i've done 2 H/C swaps,and have been a member here for a few years and i'm still a newbie compared to the small number of people on here that have a lot of knowledge.and even if you don't give out any hard info on your motor,it's cool that your going to share dyno numbers,track times and driving impressions..i bet it feels good to get the car running after all the work and hassles....

Quick Reply: First impressions of my L92/L76 408 (a little long)