Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.2L into f-body help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2L into f-body help

first few question
water pump- will my factory one work. is there a aftermarket one better?
oil pump- ported ls6? l92? what do i do?
lifters and rockers- factory or what?
timing chain and cover- what this too, what to do?

thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn someone needs to sticky this l92 into 99-02 4th gen stuff!
i get tired of repeating myself. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=body+l92+f

water pump -yes & yes (any that fit ls1 f-body)
oil pump- ls6. or 10295 melling (ported/blueprinted one from precision oil pumps)
lifters- depends. if your l92 has active fuel management and vvt (cam phaser) you'll have to replace them with normal ls2/ls3/ls7 lifter along with the lifter guide trays. you'll also need a cam upgrade cause there's no 2x cam gear to fit that cam even if it's not a vvt one.
rockers- they're fine- send them to harland sharp for a bearing upgrade if you dont' trust them.
timing chain-keep it, it's the best one put in ls engines plenty stout enough
the cam gear will need swapped to a an early ls2 2x one....see my post on l92/ls3 into 99-02 f-body
timing cover- if it's got afm/vvt you'll need an ls2 one. it's on my post.
you'll also need the black ls2 cam tensioner most likely
they're should be a list of most everything you'll need on my post along with pn's.

Last edited by drain89; 10-27-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 6.2L swap

I agree with virtually everything on that list.

If it is really an L92 engine then it has the camshaft phaser and you will need to change the timing cover. Some of the early L92's had the hardware for the cylinder de-activation (displacement on demand or, as it is now called, Active Fuel Management or AFM) but it was never actually used on those vehicles. You will need new lifters and valley cover if you have an early L92 with the cylinder deactivation parts (and the camshaft as mentioned in the previous post). If you have the cylinder de-activation parts then you should also have the GM high volume oil pump. You can keep that pump but you might want to go to a lower base pressure oil spring (without the deactivation lifters you don't need that much base oil pressure).

The black plastic chain guide is GM part # 12588670.

If you are putting a stock L92 into your F-body you will also need to change the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. The L92, the 2006+ LS2 Corvette engine and most other Gen IV engines run a 58x timing wheel (60 -2 teeth) while the LS1/LS6 engines ran a 24x timing wheel. Only the early Gen IV engines had 24x timing wheels (2005 LS2 Corvette, 2005-2006 LS2 GTO, 2005-2006 SSR and Trailblazer SS). The part number and the color of the crank sensors is different between the 58x and the 24x engines.

We have been working for over a year on an electronic box to get around this problem that would allow you to put a 58x tooth reluctor wheel crank engine right into the older cars without having to change the mechanical parts. We have completed the prototype electronics testing stage and the initial dyno testing with a couple alpha level prototypes. We are now producing our first batch of preproduction beta level prototypes. Some of these will get tested in vehicles and some will be used in dyno cells. Once these pass initial testing we will then go forward with production. I expect that to be in a 4 to 6 weeks if everything works out smoothly.

Originally Posted by drain89
Damn someone needs to sticky this l92 into 99-02 4th gen stuff!
i get tired of repeating myself. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/786004-l92-ls3-into-99-02-f-body.html

water pump -yes & yes (any that fit ls1 f-body)
oil pump- ls6. or 10295 melling (ported/blueprinted one from precision oil pumps)
lifters- depends. if your l92 has active fuel management and vvt (cam phaser) you'll have to replace them with normal ls2/ls3/ls7 lifter along with the lifter guide trays. you'll also need a cam upgrade cause there's no 2x cam gear to fit that cam even if it's not a vvt one.
rockers- they're fine- send them to harland sharp for a bearing upgrade if you dont' trust them.
timing chain-keep it, it's the best one put in ls engines plenty stout enough
the cam gear will need swapped to a an early ls2 2x one....see my post on l92/ls3 into 99-02 f-body
timing cover- if it's got afm/vvt you'll need an ls2 one. it's on my post.
you'll also need the black ls2 cam tensioner most likely
they're should be a list of most everything you'll need on my post along with pn's.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

no it is just a l92/ls3 block.
using afr 225 heads. so if that helps with lifters.
and oil pump would like a proted ls3 work better then and ported ls6?
and water pump. again would a ls3 be better then stock. and what will flow enough so it will support 1000 fly wheel horse power?
thanks again
Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default L92/LS3 block in F-body

Your existing water pump is fine. The LS3 pump won't work because of the offset different between the F-body accessory drive and the Corvette accessory drive. For 1000 hp I would not recommend underdriving the water pump though (the couple horsepower you save aren't worth it when you are at 1000 hp).

Porting does almost nothing to the oil pump performance. If you are using an aftermarket rotating assembly and using looser than stock tolerances I would use the Melling 10296 oil pump or the GM high volume pump and then put the standard (low) pressure spring in either of those two pumps.

LS3, LS2, LS1, LS6, LS7 lifters are all the same. If you plan on spinning the engine to very high rpm, the CTS-VR lifters developed by GM for the CTS-VR road racing cars (not used in anything production) are a good upgrade.

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
no it is just a l92/ls3 block.
using afr 225 heads. so if that helps with lifters.
and oil pump would like a proted ls3 work better then and ported ls6?
and water pump. again would a ls3 be better then stock. and what will flow enough so it will support 1000 fly wheel horse power?
thanks again
Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
I agree with virtually everything on that list.

If it is really an L92 engine then it has the camshaft phaser and you will need to change the timing cover. Some of the early L92's had the hardware for the cylinder de-activation (displacement on demand or, as it is now called, Active Fuel Management or AFM) but it was never actually used on those vehicles. You will need new lifters and valley cover if you have an early L92 with the cylinder deactivation parts (and the camshaft as mentioned in the previous post). If you have the cylinder de-activation parts then you should also have the GM high volume oil pump. You can keep that pump but you might want to go to a lower base pressure oil spring (without the deactivation lifters you don't need that much base oil pressure).

The black plastic chain guide is GM part # 12588670.

If you are putting a stock L92 into your F-body you will also need to change the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. The L92, the 2006+ LS2 Corvette engine and most other Gen IV engines run a 58x timing wheel (60 -2 teeth) while the LS1/LS6 engines ran a 24x timing wheel. Only the early Gen IV engines had 24x timing wheels (2005 LS2 Corvette, 2005-2006 LS2 GTO, 2005-2006 SSR and Trailblazer SS). The part number and the color of the crank sensors is different between the 58x and the 24x engines.

We have been working for over a year on an electronic box to get around this problem that would allow you to put a 58x tooth reluctor wheel crank engine right into the older cars without having to change the mechanical parts. We have completed the prototype electronics testing stage and the initial dyno testing with a couple alpha level prototypes. We are now producing our first batch of preproduction beta level prototypes. Some of these will get tested in vehicles and some will be used in dyno cells. Once these pass initial testing we will then go forward with production. I expect that to be in a 4 to 6 weeks if everything works out smoothly.
So are you saying that you MAY (In the near future) have some kind of module that will convert the reluctor wheel signal so that I would not have to take a brand new LS3 apart to install in an F BODY?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 58x to 24x trigger conversion box

Yes, that is what I am saying. We have 4 more prototypes that should be getting filled with epoxy this week. Hopefully we will be ready for production in 4 to 6 weeks.

Originally Posted by ultraz
So are you saying that you MAY (In the near future) have some kind of module that will convert the reluctor wheel signal so that I would not have to take a brand new LS3 apart to install in an F BODY?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

jason do you have a part number on that GM oil pump? and spring?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default High volume pump and spring

The GM high volume pump doesn't come with a "standard" pressure spring and the spring by itself isn't available from GM (it isn't a GM part). Also, the GM high volume pump doesn't come with the replacement O-rings.

We package the pump, the additional spring and the O-rings (one for the cars and one for the trucks) as a kit and sell it on our web site and in our eBay store. Our part number for the kit is L200135297.

Here is a link to it in our ebay store.

The pump by itself is GM part number 12571885.

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
jason do you have a part number on that GM oil pump? and spring?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Bump! Any status on the reluctor module?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 58x to 24x conversion module

We are very close to releasing the 58x to 24x conversion modules.

We have several cars running now with different levels of prototypes in them. We have been testing the different designs of the module on the engine dyno for over a year.

We have tooled up a new higher temperature, lower profile case and changed the circuit board to fit in the new custom molded case. We tested one hand built version of this design last week on a 7500 rpm drag race engine on the dyno. We should be testing 5-10 final prototypes of machine built versions of this design on Friday. I think all of those prototypes are spoken for. We should have 15 to 20 production units ready in a 2 to 4 weeks with more in process after that.

Here is a link to the beta copy of the instructions for the device:

TRG-001 instructions

Retail price is $254.95.

I will get a new picture of the module posted (I didn't take a picture of the latest prototype before we shipped it to a customer).

Originally Posted by 01badz28
Bump! Any status on the reluctor module?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

We are very close to releasing the 58x to 24x conversion modules.

We have several cars running now with different levels of prototypes in them. We have been testing the different designs of the module on the engine dyno for over a year.

We have tooled up a new higher temperature, lower profile case and changed the circuit board to fit in the new custom molded case. We tested one hand built version of this design last week on a 7500 rpm drag race engine on the dyno. We should be testing 5-10 final prototypes of machine built versions of this design on Friday. I think all of those prototypes are spoken for. We should have 15 to 20 production units ready in a 2 to 4 weeks with more in process after that.

Here is a link to the beta copy of the instructions for the device:

TRG-001 instructions

Retail price is $254.95.

I will get a new picture of the module posted (I didn't take a picture of the latest prototype before we shipped it to a customer).

Thats great news.

So if I am reading everyones comments correctly.I can use my original 98 Camaro computer to work directly with an Ls3 motor as a drop in with the LPE box.

but with an ls3 drop in, is there anything else that needs to be looked at.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default LS3 drop in to do list

To install a LS3 crate engine in a LS1 Camaro/Firebird (1998-2002) or a LS1/LS6 Corvette (1997-2004), you will need to do a couple of other things. Our TRG-001 module (our part # L460065397) takes care of the crank and cam sensor signal but you also will need to:
-relocate the stock LS1 knock sensors to the side of the LS3 block and then get a knock sensor extension harness to connect to the new location (we usually use part # RX-LS2-KSRH)
-get an extension harness to connect to the MAP sensor at the front of the manifold. The LS3 uses a different connector design so the extension harness also needs to be an adapter harness to convert to the new style connector. I don't have a part number for this but the mating connector to the LS3 MAP sensor is finally available so harnesses can be made.
-use adapter harnesses to connect to the LS3 fuel injectors or change to the USCar connectors on your wiring harness. We prefer to change the connectors instead of using the adapters (cleaner install and less connections to cause potential problems). We offer USCar injector connectors with seals and terminals to make this easier (our part number L480080000, 8 needed).
-get a throttle cable bracket made for the LS3 intake (not needed on the Corvette)
-get a 90 mm 4 bolt mechanical throttle body (several different versions available - we usually use the UMI 90 mm throttle on the mechanical throttle cars and then our 90 mm electronic throttle on the C5 Corvettes)
-recalibrate the vehicle's PCM for the new injector size, the different calibration curve of the LS3 MAP sensor, and the fuel/spark requirements for the LS3 engine. On electronic throttle cars you will also need to reprogram for the new throttle body size.
-you will probably also need some new duct work to go from the 90 mm throttle to your air intake. This might be a good time to upgrade to the larger LS6/LS2/truck plastic 85 mm MAF sensor. An adapter harness is available for this upgrade or you can change the connectors on your harness (we offer both options). The MAF sensor change will also require calibration changes.
-connecting to the LS3 fuel rail will require some parts, especially on the earlier C5 Corvettes with the more traditional two line fuel system with the regulator at the rail (since the LS3 is a returnless fuel rail so it has one connection and no regulator in the rail)

I think that should cover most of what needs to be done.

Originally Posted by ultraz
Thats great news.

So if I am reading everyones comments correctly.I can use my original 98 Camaro computer to work directly with an Ls3 motor as a drop in with the LPE box.

but with an ls3 drop in, is there anything else that needs to be looked at.

Last edited by Jason Haines @ LPE; 10-30-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: grammer and a little more info
Old 12-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Teching In

To install a LS3 crate engine in a LS1 Camaro/Firebird (1998-2002) or a LS1/LS6 Corvette (1997-2004), you will need to do a couple of other things. Our TRG-001 module (our part # L460065397) takes care of the crank and cam sensor signal but you also will need to:
-relocate the stock LS1 knock sensors to the side of the LS3 block and then get a knock sensor extension harness to connect to the new location (we usually use part # RX-LS2-KSRH)
This will sound dumb, but I only have LS6/C5R experience. I'm putting an LS3 into my 69 Camaro which came with the knock sensors, but not installed (I assume for shipping protection). Where exactly do the knock sensors go on the LS3 motor. All I can find is "the side of the block" everywhere I look, but I don't see an obvious place for them.

Thanks,
Derrick

Last edited by tazinhawaii; 12-13-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.2L into f-body help