Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Looking for comments on my new book... (cross-post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Chris, I will order one, looking forward to it. I've been planning to rebuild a shortblock myself so I'll see if this book gets me to actually go for it.

ADMIN
Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, mine was in stock at the local barnes and noble!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Z
I think I will also order this from Amazon.

I vaguely remember another LS series engine book, I think from GM, that was good for people doing swaps into non-LS powered cars. Anybody know what I am talking about? I would like to order both books at once.

Thanks

http://www.sdparts.com/product/88959...tionGuide.aspx
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dlove
Also, mine was in stock at the local barnes and noble!
Cool... I had been checking all the ones I have been to and had not seen anything yet. Guess the shipments are finally coming in!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Ordered one from Amazon and it came today. Fantastic pics!!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Once you use Posi-Lock your other pullers will spend the rest of their life on the shelf. Posi-Lock has a collar that holds the legs in place during installation of the puller. The most frustrating part of using a puller is that you need 4 or 5 hands to get the 3 legs, threaded rod and puller body all lined up. You don't have this problem with Posi-Lock because the collar holds the 3 legs in the proper position. All you do is hold the puller body with one hand(the collar holds the legs in place) and turn the threaded rod with the other hand. They're not cheap, but probably commenturate with SnapOn. As far as bucking the puller rod up against the crank snout I use a BIG allen head cap screw with some large flat washers (slightly smaller O.D. than the crank O.D). I put the washer on the cap screw and put the cap screw in the crank where the bolt came out. The threads of the crank aren't touched because the cap screw threads are slightly smaller than the crank bolt threads. The hex in the head of the cap screw forces the puller rod to be self-centering. The puller rod push against the flat washers which buck against the crank snout. I also use a plumbers chain wrench to hold the pulley during installation and removal. Plumbers use them on cast iron sewer pipe. You can find them in the plumbing dept. at Sears. They cost a lot less than the Posi-Lock.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Once you use Posi-Lock your other pullers will spend the rest of their life on the shelf. Posi-Lock has a collar that holds the legs in place during installation of the puller. The most frustrating part of using a puller is that you need 4 or 5 hands to get the 3 legs, threaded rod and puller body all lined up. You don't have this problem with Posi-Lock because the collar holds the 3 legs in the proper position. All you do is hold the puller body with one hand(the collar holds the legs in place) and turn the threaded rod with the other hand. They're not cheap, but probably commenturate with SnapOn. As far as bucking the puller rod up against the crank snout I use a BIG allen head cap screw with some large flat washers (slightly smaller O.D. than the crank O.D). I put the washer on the cap screw and put the cap screw in the crank where the bolt came out. The threads of the crank aren't touched because the cap screw threads are slightly smaller than the crank bolt threads. The hex in the head of the cap screw forces the puller rod to be self-centering. The puller rod push against the flat washers which buck against the crank snout. I also use a plumbers chain wrench to hold the pulley during installation and removal. Plumbers use them on cast iron sewer pipe. You can find them in the plumbing dept. at Sears. They cost a lot less than the Posi-Lock.
Thanks for the info. A big "allen-head" bolt is an excellent idea, though I personally would not be too worried about the threads in the crank snout given a bolt that engages all, or nearly all, of them (you're pulling on them anyhow when installing a damper, and they hold up fine). Definitely like the self-centering aspect of the hex-head hole too!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

It's not when people are putting the pulley back on when they do the damage. It's usually when they're removing it. Over the years every possible way to screw up removing the crank pulley on an LS has been posted on this site. Murphy's law was obviously at work. From damaging the crank threads to getting the puller rod wedged into the crank bolt hole. I came up with the allen head cap screw idea because the puller rod tries to "walk" as you tighten it down. I tried drilling a dimple in the center of the old bolt head(it gets thrown away anyway), but that idea left room for improvement. That's when I went looking for my biggest allen head cap screw. Some of these stories are painful to read so you can imagine how the person posting the nightmare feels. Most of these problems could have been avoided had they only asked their question ahead of time instead of waiting until after they damaged their crank. Or they could just do a "search" through the mountain of information LS1Tech has become in nearly 10 years. By the way I ordered the book myself on amazon today.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all the comments and interest in the book so far. Since it seems so many of you bought the book from amazon.com, I'd appreciate it if anyone who has 5 minutes could post a customer review on there, as there is only 1 so far.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

just got done reading it in i thought it was well wrote book,with a lot of great info thats needed all in one place.which save's alot of time on searchin the forums and having to google for info.the only bad i can say on it is wish that more info on the use of aftermarket parts on the rebuild
Old 08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Chris I ordered the book from Amazon along with another engine build book. Amazon said your book won't ship to mid Oct. What's up? Is it out of print already?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dkrowner
just got done reading it in i thought it was well wrote book,with a lot of great info thats needed all in one place.which save's alot of time on searchin the forums and having to google for info.the only bad i can say on it is wish that more info on the use of aftermarket parts on the rebuild
Thanks for the message. In terms of the aftermarket parts, yes, there was only so much I was able to include, and this mainly had to do with space limitations. Plus, the aftermarket parts scene changes rapidly that (1) no book can cover anywhere close to it all, and (2) any book attempting substantial aftermarket coverage risks being out of date quickly. I tried to give the tools for anyone wishing to use aftermarket parts to be successful doing so, and "hit the highlights" of major types of aftermarket parts typically used in LS engines and the considerations/modifications/challenges one might face in incorporating them.

Last edited by WernerGMHTP; 08-10-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Chris I ordered the book from Amazon along with another engine build book. Amazon said your book won't ship to mid Oct. What's up? Is it out of print already?
Maybe you are looking at the newly revised version of Will Handzel's "How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s," which is due to be released October 15?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

Looks pretty good, I ordered one from Amazon and it should be here on the 19th.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to say that I'm happy to announce that my book has been listed in the 2009 GM Performance Parts catalog and can be had under GM Part Number 88958674.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's pretty cool that it now has an actual GM part number. Good job on that one.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WernerGMHTP
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to say that I'm happy to announce that my book has been listed in the 2009 GM Performance Parts catalog and can be had under GM Part Number 88958674.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!
Must be so new it is not in the system yet.

I just picked up a new LQ9 6.0 iron block, new set of L92 heads, and a GMPP carbed intake w/injector bungs for a great price. The guy also threw in a compleat L92 out of a Caddy SUV. Don know what I am going to do with all this yet but you can bet a turbo will be invloved.

Jim
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

I just received my book today, plus I also ordered How to Tune and Modify Engine Management systems.

Since I come from the old school world of carburetors and distributors, I thought that I should get up to speed with both books.

I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished with the books.

Greg

Quick Reply: Looking for comments on my new book... (cross-post)