Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigg Gunz,

What is the material used on the rod and main bearings? I am building a twin turbo 3.6 LFX as we speak and just got the custom pistons in from Diamond to achieve a 10:1 cr.

Upon disassembly I noticed the mains on the lfx were orange, and after seeing the internals of the lt1, It got me wondering what it actually is.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Bigg Gunz,

What is the material used on the rod and main bearings? I am building a twin turbo 3.6 LFX as we speak and just got the custom pistons in from Diamond to achieve a 10:1 cr.

Upon disassembly I noticed the mains on the lfx were orange, and after seeing the internals of the lt1, It got me wondering what it actually is.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
I cannot elaborate on this question as on going testing continues.

Bigg Gunz
Understood. I'll rephrase. Is "big brother" a displacement we've already seen on GenV's?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Bigg Gunz, what is the likely hood of this engine being in the SS Sedan? I'm really excited for that upcoming car, and anticipate the reveal in February, but there is little to no drivetrain/engine info available.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyc
Bigg Gunz, what is the likely hood of this engine being in the SS Sedan? I'm really excited for that upcoming car, and anticipate the reveal in February, but there is little to no drivetrain/engine info available.
from the power output they are getting, I would guess the 5.3L will be all they get. which should be more than enough for a stock sedan. you still have caddys to kill the porsches and m5s
Old 12-20-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Default GM presentation on LT1

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...mallBlock.html

Halfway down the right side of the page is this link:
LT1 Presentation [pdf]
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chazman
Understood. I'll rephrase. Is "big brother" a displacement we've already seen on GenV's?
correct me if im wrong.

from what mr_gunnz said here, 6.2L is the most stable displacement to handle big power delivered by the big brother. it will be boosted, super variocammed, DI, and insane heads making the extra .8L of displacement you are looking for insignificant. the main objective with those features is to hold together.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Default LT1 Tech Papers

http://media.gm.com/newcorvetteengine
Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Bigg_Gunz can you elaborate on the rpm stability of the new gen V? Is the 6600 rpm rev limit binding for all future releases, is it as magical as the stroke the engineers are sticking with? What is the first limiting parameter or component in the equation in raising the limiter: valve float, push rods, head flow, or something else.

In terms of wall strength, the block seems to have been toughened a lot. Could there be some gains from increasing bore without running the risk of sleeve or block damage? In terms of casting material the previous gen saw several materials. Are we likely to see a variety of materials used for casings again? CGI?

I think we also need some open ended questions, maybe things we would not know to ask. What were some of the highly debated choices for this generation: 3 valve, variable valve control options, something else? What do you think was the highest achievement for GEN 5 SBC? Seems like the piston shape or ECU optimization are at the top.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
from the power output they are getting, I would guess the 5.3L will be all they get. which should be more than enough for a stock sedan. you still have caddys to kill the porsches and m5s
Being this car is a "specialty car" with limited production between 5000 - 10000 with more available upon demand, I would say its going to one up the GXP with refinements in interior, braking, and suspension. I would not expect to see anything less than the LT1 with a high possibility of a supercharged version. I also expect the pricing of this car to be 50k + whatever the dealer comes up with for "Market Value".
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Teching In

correct me if im wrong.

from what mr_gunnz said here, 6.2L is the most stable displacement to handle big power delivered by the big brother. it will be boosted, super variocammed, DI, and insane heads making the extra .8L of displacement you are looking for insignificant. the main objective with those features is to hold together.
Actually, I'm not looking for more displacement, 6.2L suits me just fine. Just wondering if "big brother" is the blown, 6.2L LT4 (and variants), or if he was actually referring to a bigger than 6.2L displacement, normally aspirated engine.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Sounds like the (no name) SS sedan will come with the LS3 initially and the LT1 soon after.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe that was covered already.

Not sure which part you were talking about, but I've searched this thread using multiple keywords and came up empty handed.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

THIS is pretty impressive!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Not sure which part you were talking about, but I've searched this thread using multiple keywords and came up empty handed.
Although this is not an exact answer, I'd say they look the same.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
I'll check into that so that I am sure, give me 1 day maybe 2 max and I'll will give you a concrete answer you can stand on. I can honestly say these cars look very mean & aggressive in Black or either White!

Bigg Gunz.
Sorry for the delay, the C7 "Zo6" <---- this name may change however the z06 or its replacement title name, will NOT be offered in ALL models in white. It will be VERY VERY VERY LIMITED. From my understanding it will be a special car. And only that particular name or model will be offered in white. You can get the base model in white...just not the NEXT level versions of it in white unless its the special edition.

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by Bigg_Gunz; 12-21-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

I cannot comment on that sedan at all.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Bigg_Gunz can you elaborate on the rpm stability of the new gen V? Is the 6600 rpm rev limit binding for all future releases, is it as magical as the stroke the engineers are sticking with? What is the first limiting parameter or component in the equation in raising the limiter: valve float, push rods, head flow, or something else.

In terms of wall strength, the block seems to have been toughened a lot. Could there be some gains from increasing bore without running the risk of sleeve or block damage? In terms of casting material the previous gen saw several materials. Are we likely to see a variety of materials used for casings again? CGI?

I think we also need some open ended questions, maybe things we would not know to ask. What were some of the highly debated choices for this generation: 3 valve, variable valve control options, something else? What do you think was the highest achievement for GEN 5 SBC? Seems like the piston shape or ECU optimization are at the top.
As I've stated before the VVT 6.0's only need two developments in the aftermarket. However in my position, dealing with work ethics, proprietary patents, non competes, etc. I am NOT at liberty to state those needed developments. The aftermarket has to step up and develop what is truly needed, the sooner the better. VVT isn't going away...and VVC is coming soon and is extremely complex over vvt. So the aftermarket has to come through for you hot rodders to unleash the true power potential of VVT. However any information pertaining to development of parts in detail,critical processes, data logs, etc will not be allowed. Please understand my position.

The block is solid .......night and day difference in terms of stiff and increased strength. It has to be for several reasons. The greatest achieve in the Gen 5 engine? The entire engine... this is the last v8 you'll ever see NOT only from GM but the other major automotive companies as well. This one will leave a legacy unchallenged we are sure of it.

Knowing that this would be the last V8 to be developed. We went all out and really didn't leave anything on the table. The greatest achievement of this engine is output is ground breaking and shattering depending on the level of performance we deem for a vehicle.
This is unquestionable, and this is by an lunar orbit the best engine to ever leave GM. And Three valve could still happen it is developed and real world proven. However we don't make the decision on what makes it into production.

From an engineering stand point my question to you is why would you want to bore this potential engine out? Why would you want to stroke it?

Bigg Gunz

Last edited by Bigg_Gunz; 12-21-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Bigg Gunz,

The coating is made by DuPont its named is secret, its very low friction, the bearings run cooler, at start up the engine is sitting on this coating until the wedge of oil develops to carry the crankshaft. These bearings will never wear and there will never any signs of wear on the crankshaft no matter the mileage or abuse. Properly clearance of course and torque that is... or its all bets are off.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

correct me if im wrong.

Reliability, durability, under serve abuse conditions is all that matters in engine development. Displacement is just an output equation.

Bigg Gunz

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block