LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

VA Speed tune - Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still haven't heard back from Shawn yet. Just updating is all. I'm sure I'm not the only thing he's got going on.

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
I'd just say that while Ed's intentions may have been in the right place, going back in his black book of VAspeed customers and "checking in" to see who tuned who's car and then selling it as "if ed tuned it, you dont have the garbage tune" is just poor business practices..
Ed contacted me to just look at it and see if it was an OK tune. I didn't have a very good feeling about the one I got after reading several threads regarding VA Speed's tunes and builds.

I'm sure Ed is not about the almighty dollar, that's why he didn't charge you to fix your "garbage" tune,.....right? .
Yeah. Right. Because dynos and software are super cheap. It was agreed before I even scheduled an appointment that if I wanted it retuned, I would pay. I paid for a retune. However, the 2nd time I went back after running some Seafoam through the motor I wasn't charged. Ed wasn't happy with the amount of timing he was able to put into it without knock. After I ran Seafoam through the intake and beat on it a little bit, he was able to get another 5 degrees of timing out of the car without any knock.

How many other tuners would have been like "Well that's all I can get out of it, have a nice day." Instead Ed setup another set of runs on the dyno and tweaked his tune further and he didn't charge me a dime.

I don't have a dog in the hunt(well, I do have a VA speed cam if that counts?) but i will say there seem to be a lot of hate directed towards VAspeed lately, legitimate or not. I'm sure Shawn will get it cleaned up.
He's going to have to. There are too many threads floating around that tarnish the reputation of that shop. But you can't discredit the post without hearing both sides of the story.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
He's going to have to. There are too many threads floating around that tarnish the reputation of that shop. But you can't discredit the post without hearing both sides of the story.
He's added +5* of timing to an already adjusted tune? I'm just wondering, what is your max timing at?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

He's added +5* of timing to an already adjusted tune? I'm just wondering, what is your max timing at?
The first tune (by Ed) he was only able to put it at around 19 degrees. It's now at around 24 degrees.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

This thread is epic fail. Number one rule in business is to always confront the person that did the work first before going anywhere else. If VA Speed hasn't seen or responded to this thread nothing has been accomplished. There are so many variables that could have taken place. If Shawn is the man everyone in this thread says he is then he would have resolved this immediately when you called him. However after this type of thread if i were Shawn i would chalk it up as a customer I didn't want to start with.... Just my .02
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Why does VA speed deserve another shot to get it right? He paid good money and should have got agood tune from the start. Either they dont know how to tune at all or they rushed and took his money anyway. Eitherway they dont deserve a god damm thing except to lose the money he paid for his original "tune". What ever happened to doing the right thing or doing **** right the 1st time.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Why does VA speed deserve another shot to get it right? He paid good money and should have got agood tune from the start. Either they dont know how to tune at all or they rushed and took his money anyway. Eitherway they dont deserve a god damm thing except to lose the money he paid for his original "tune". What ever happened to doing the right thing or doing **** right the 1st time.
Thank you for your support.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you had an issue with the tune why didn't you contact virginia speed initally?

On a side note....

Can Ed tune my car for free in exchange for a bash thread against virginia speed?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
If you had an issue with the tune why didn't you contact virginia speed initally?
I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat myself.

Ed found the problems after looking at it. At that point, I did not trust VA Speed to touch my car again, so I told Ed to go ahead and fix it.

On a side note....

Can Ed tune my car for free in exchange for a bash thread against virginia speed?
Again, repeating myself several times. I didn't get a free tune. Ed looked at the tune for free. I paid Ed for him to put it on the dyno and tune it.

Not to mention Ed had no idea I was going to put any of this up.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn guys read the thread.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love it when email lists get hack and false information gets spread along with 3rd party soliciation of "checking tunes" in exchange for bash threads. You dont hear about that kinda stuff every day. Its a small world and **** gets around quickly of what is happening behind the scenes. Carry on.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it when email lists get hack and false information gets spread along with 3rd party soliciation of "checking tunes" in exchange for bash threads. You dont hear about that kinda stuff every day. Its a small world and **** gets around quickly of what is happening behind the scenes. Carry on.
Who's email list got hacked Phil? You really wanna go down this road?

No one has checked any tunes in exchange for "bash" threads. Every thread started has been the doing of the car owner.

Mike Menke, I didn't even look at his car. But it was junk.

Sonny Parks, I did attempt to tune his car, but it was junk.

Next...........
Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unless you have factual evidence to support these ludicris claims, I would suggest you shut your suck.

I however, do have evidence to support the fact that I paid for the tune Ed did. I don't think I should have to submit my PayPal statement though.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

This thread was started by Mike because they didn't want to do anything for him. I never even looked at this car, or his tune......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...nia-speed.html

This thread was started by Sonny, again, because they didn't want to do anything for him. I did try to tune it, but it had so many problems, I couldn't. So, instead of paying me to fix everything, he tried to take it back to them. The rest of the story is in the thread.........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...nia-speed.html

So, the only thread in question is this one, right? Or am I being accused of "trolling" all the Va Speed customers, and looking for who will post their negative experiences? Let me know Phil, so I can respond properly.

And while you're at it, please clarify on the email hacking comment, so I can respond properly to that as well.

This should get interesting folks............Get out your popcorn.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 01-19-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks suspect from the outside looking in.
If you cant see that then you are probably to close to the situation to notice.

Just sayin.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Looks suspect from the outside looking in.
If you cant see that then you are probably to close to the situation to notice.

Just sayin.
Yeah, it couldn't be that these people just received junk, and weren't happy about it.

OK, let's review. I leave Va Speed. Va Speed in the next few months turn out some work/cars the customers are unhappy with. Va Speed doesn't want to help at least 2 of these people until they post it on the net, but somehow this is my doing? You give me too much credit.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is true why just pop in here with a short little rip like that and not explain it and take the time to make it seem legitimate so people in here reading this thread wouldn't think VA Speed is just off their game?

Just saying, if you want to contribute with this so called "behind the scene" info then actually contribute, don't mention it and then act like we all aren't privy to the information.

I'm not leaning either way, just seems like this thread is going to get locked and we will never learn how this end's. If someone has a secret... spill it, for the sake of someone on the fence of a $15,000 build... cmon guys.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 01-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

^^ AMEN!

Oh, And...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Why does VA speed deserve another shot to get it right? He paid good money and should have got a good tune from the start.
+1 Virginia Speed said, "They do NOT warranty their work." So, why would you allow them to make a bad situation worse? An engine builder playing 'tuner' and technicians that lack attention to detail....

It's an unfortunate pattern of poor quality dyno and street tuning (since Ed left), substandard work and questionable customer service from this shop over the past several months... Some members were fortunate enough to find these critical problems before they lost an engine or worse, while others were not as fortunate.

Do you think Virginia Speed will attempt blame their customer(s) for any major problems originating from their shop in an effort to avoid any potential liability for a service warranty that does not exist? When the blame game doesn't work, do you think we'll hear things like, "this is a rare occurrence"?

I read through the 12 pages of Mike04's post about his problems with Virginia Speed, and found these excuses:

* We didn't finish the car - thought you knew that.
* We thought you would debug it yourself.
* We had other customer cars to work on.
* We had installation problems because we were rushed.
* We didn't have time to go over the car thoroughly.
* We had 'housekeeping' issues.

Take a look at this post from Shawn (last sentence) dated 24 August 2011, and I quote, "Our lesson learned in all of this is not to release a vehicle that is not finished."

According to Shawn, the original quote for SonnyinVA's project said, "dyno tuning", but their tuner left in the middle of the project, so he was not charged for tuning - just a couple of dyno runs. Shawn said, "We do not have lt1 tuning software and don't plan on getting any." You would "think" Virginia Speed would bring in another LT tuner to finish the vehicle right.

Why would Virginia Speed "do a couple of dyno runs" if they could NOT do any tuning??? Do you think they made an honest effort to ship his PCM to an experienced LT1 tuner or use this option with a build sheet and supporting information so the car could leave their shop 'right' vs. PIG RICH?

This is another "sad story".... lack of attention to detail and care. Perhaps you need to be a "Top Tier" customer that spends $20K or more to get proper attention and customer service from Virginia Speed. I had my own share of problems with Virginia Speed during my last project, which is why I will no longer give them my hard earned money.

I've been working with Ed Hutchings long before he joined Virginia Speed - a supporting vendor on both LS1tech, the Corvette Forum and others - and he was the ONLY reason why I brought my vette to their shop because of his exceptional work ethic, technical knowledge, tuning skills and great customer service after the work is done.

Ed's been tuning and fixing other problematic tunes long before he joined Virginia Speed, and will no doubt continue to help forum members and customers by re-tuning - especially from this shop - for some time to come. He's a great resource for us forum members. Thanks Ed!

Last edited by AlohaC5; 01-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Teching In

I'm adding to this thread to state for the record that Ed did not solicit me to bash Va Speed in the thread that I started on the Corvette Forum that is linked above. My issues were not with the tune.

Douglas the owner of Va Speed, in my opinion, was honest with me about the issues surrounding my build and worked to resolve them. With that being said, there were far too many things that were not right to ever make things 100% good though. It did take awhile for him to respond to my concerns. If you take the time to read my post you would hopefully understand what I'm saying.

Shawn has helped me a few times since working out other bugs that have come up.

I tune my cars myself so I have no reason to jump on Ed's band wagon or to try to get free tunes. He has given me a few pointers about things but that is about it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

I had all my work done at VA speed and tuned by ED...He is very good at tuning, But thier techs are garbage..I had a motor mount almost fall off,the wrong length pushrods installed,A false overheating alarm due to improper wire harness routing,valve covers from a LS1,missing strut brace and beauty covers..Those ******* charged me a 1000.00 dollars to install LT's and on top of that they were suppose to be kooks 1 7/8 LT's,but what they installed were 1 3/4 Lt's..

Quick Reply: VA Speed tune - Never again.