LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Just installed AMW Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Just installed AMW Catch Can

I just finished installing a beautiful Catch Can made by Todd at AMW in Texas. I attached it to the passenger side head with an adapter made by Dark Age 53, which fit perfectly! The whole installation took about 30 minutes because I had to take time to admire the nice machine work on the Catch Can.
Now maybe I can keep most of the PCV oil out of my new LS6 Intake.

Here's a link to AMW:
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

John

Last edited by JohnR; 08-08-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a nice looking oil catch system. I have a little detonation at low rpm (only sometimes), am I correct in thinking something like this will help resolve the issue? I do get some oil residue on the back of my throttle body plate...

are there any other oil catch kits being made now? It's a beautiful can but 88 dollars seems a little spendy.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

When I saw all the oil inside my stock intake manifold and inside the intake ports on the heads, I would have paid $100 for something to stop the oil. If you take your throttle body off and feel inside your manifold, I bet you will find a heavy, unhealthy coating of oil. As far as eliminating low rpm knock, I really don't know. What I do know is that burning oil leaves deposits in the combustion chamber which can create hot spots, which leads to detonation. I think, ideally, there should only be gas and air going into the chamber.

IMHO,
John
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I also got the same setup, including the dark age bracket. Choice stuff, and it works. After about 500 miles, there's a boatload of crap in the bottom of my catch can, and the throttle body and intake are looking cleaner. Both good things, and a good way to permanently solve an annoying problem.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, what is this dark age bracket?? I have the AMW can and have yet to mount it, can someone send me a link or something??
Old 09-11-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. I have one of their catch cans on my Vette along with a Metco valve cover breather and that has very much curtailed oil consumption.

Mark
Old 09-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Very nice. I have one of their catch cans on my Vette along with a Metco valve cover breather and that has very much curtailed oil consumption.

Mark
Where do you have the breather? And where did you get it and make it fit? I need these mods bad......
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Can you post any pics of the installation?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a guy on here, his name's darkage53, real name's Al. He makes a bracket so that the can can be mounted in the holes where EGR on 99 cars goes. Real slick setup, and worth every penny. Gives the install a total factory look, and a convenient way to mount without drilling holes in your ride, and is in a easy place to see the contents and drain as nessassary. Send him a p.m., he may be making another lot soon.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the Metco Valve Cover Breather do? I know it releases crankcase pressure but what exactly does that mean? Does that stop some of the oil from getting inside of the intake manifold? Do the breather and catch can kind of do the same thing, as far as the ultimate goal to keep oil in the engine and not on top?
I am also getting ready to put on an LS6 intake that I had painted along with a ported/powdercoatedrted TB and I didn't want to get any oil inside of them. I looked inside of my LS1 intake; actually swabbed the inside with my finger and while it was dirty, there was no oil. Should I just get the breather and call it a day?

Also, I think the Metco breather is too tall. I wanted one that was more shallow. How come these things in AutoZone only cost $15 and the Metco cost $50? Can I modify one from Autozone to fit? It might even come out shallow like I want. Thanks- Mike.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SStolen
What does the Metco Valve Cover Breather do? I know it releases crankcase pressure but what exactly does that mean? Does that stop some of the oil from getting inside of the intake manifold? Do the breather and catch can kind of do the same thing, as far as the ultimate goal to keep oil in the engine and not on top?
I am also getting ready to put on an LS6 intake that I had painted along with a ported/powdercoatedrted TB and I didn't want to get any oil inside of them. I looked inside of my LS1 intake; actually swabbed the inside with my finger and while it was dirty, there was no oil. Should I just get the breather and call it a day?

Also, I think the Metco breather is too tall. I wanted one that was more shallow. How come these things in AutoZone only cost $15 and the Metco cost $50? Can I modify one from Autozone to fit? It might even come out shallow like I want. Thanks- Mike.
get the can...you'll see
Old 09-25-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hugger427
get the can...you'll see

Would anyone know if the catch can gets all the oil. I Installed double air oil separators on mine and still finding oil in the second separator. If I went to the AMW catch can would that get all the oil? Perhaps someone migh want to try putting a clear separator between the catchcan and intake to check for oil.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my intake is dry now after the catch can was installed instead of being soaked in oil before I installed it.

Mike
Old 09-26-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
Would anyone know if the catch can gets all the oil. I Installed double air oil separators on mine and still finding oil in the second separator. If I went to the AMW catch can would that get all the oil? Perhaps someone migh want to try putting a clear separator between the catchcan and intake to check for oil.

Not in my case. It catches about 80% of it and that is far better than before. I drive my car at open track events (20 minute sessions on road courses at high rpms).

Yesterday I went off course and slid the bumper cover into the sand. It knocked loose the petcock valve and droped about 4 oz of oil on the ground. I was very relieved to trace the oil back to the catch can and not the block or radiator. This was after only 50 minutes of spirited driving.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Not in my case. It catches about 80% of it and that is far better than before. I drive my car at open track events (20 minute sessions on road courses at high rpms).

Yesterday I went off course and slid the bumper cover into the sand. It knocked loose the petcock valve and droped about 4 oz of oil on the ground. I was very relieved to trace the oil back to the catch can and not the block or radiator. This was after only 50 minutes of spirited driving.

I suspect that 80% might be as good as it gets with either AMW or Industrial air/oil separator. Hopefully that is enough to keep pinging out. I'll keep track of how much oil show up in each of the 2 inline filters. The supercharger probably makes this worst.

Quick Reply: Just installed AMW Catch Can