LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

WARPED Wilwood rotors, Exchange issue ~IN RESOLUTION~

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post WARPED Wilwood rotors, Exchange issue ~IN RESOLUTION~

Well well.....

I bought Wilwood SRP rotors thru TBYRNE & had them installed early this year with new pads..

The last few weeks I've been noticing a pulsing when braking at high speeds, and now the pulsing occurs on ALL braking applications..

I contacted TBYRNE who contacted Wilwood who said they weren't broken in properly & to do their perscribed braking etc, which I did...

Still pulsing..

Wilwood then said to have the runout checked which I did at the dealer, and if they were defective they would be replaced...

I went to the GM dealer who found the runouts to be:
LF .002
RF .004
LR .004
RR .003

According to GM, anything over .001 should be either shimmed or turned on a lathe or replaced..

Well, TBYRNE/Wilwood's response is:
The measurement's that you gave are within tolerance. They said .002-.004 is not enough to feel threw the pedal or wheel balance at speed. They said most drivers can not feel less than .020. They also mentioned that they would not be able to replace these rotors because they are within tolerance for the total indicator run out.

Oh yea? WELL THEN YOU DRIVE MY CAR & TELL ME WHATS WITH THE PULSING ON BRAKING!!!!!.. NO WAY ITS NORMAL..

Anyway, now I'm out $799.00 for rotors which are defective..
I've had my car since Dec 1999 & have had a few different sets of rotors, and have NEVER had a problem until now..

Hey Wilwood & TBYRNE:
WHY WOULD I COMPLAIN IF THEY WERE WORKING PROPERLY?

Thanks for the great customer service TBYRNE.
Thanks for the great quality product Wilwood.

P.S. Don't even begin to say ANYTHING about the wheels or tires being out of balance because I have driven my car with 3 different sets of front & rear tires & the pulsing on braking is ALWAYS present...!

Who are they trying to kid?

Seriously, this is a classic case of warped rotors, under 1 yr old & should be replaced..
Why can't firms just realize that if someone complains, there is a reason behind it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Default TBYRNE (Wilwood) issue.. BAD!

Hi everyone....

I bought Wilwood SRP rotors thru TBYRNE & had them installed early this year with new pads..

The last few weeks I've been noticing a pulsing when braking at high speeds, and now the pulsing occurs on ALL braking applications..

I contacted TBYRNE who contacted Wilwood who said they weren't broken in properly & to do their perscribed braking etc, which I did...

Still pulsing..

Wilwood then said to have the runout checked which I did at the dealer, and if they were defective they would be replaced...

I went to the GM dealer who found the runouts to be:
LF .002
RF .004
LR .004
RR .003

According to GM, anything over .001 should be either shimmed or turned on a lathe or replaced..

Well, TBYRNE/Wilwood's response is:
The measurement's that you gave are within tolerance. They said .002-.004 is not enough to feel threw the pedal or wheel balance at speed. They said most drivers can not feel less than .020. They also mentioned that they would not be able to replace these rotors because they are within tolerance for the total indicator run out.

Oh yea? WELL THEN YOU DRIVE MY CAR & TELL ME WHATS WITH THE PULSING ON BRAKING!!!!!.. NO WAY ITS NORMAL..

Anyway, now I'm out $799.00 for rotors which are defective..
I've had my car since Dec 1999 & have had a few different sets of rotors, and have NEVER had a problem until now..

Hey Wilwood & TBYRNE:
WHY WOULD I COMPLAIN IF THEY WERE WORKING PROPERLY?

Thanks for the great customer service TBYRNE.
Thanks for the great quality product Wilwood.

P.S. Don't even begin to say ANYTHING about the wheels or tires being out of balance because I have driven my car with 3 different sets of front & rear tires & the pulsing on braking is ALWAYS present...!

Who are they trying to kid?

Seriously, this is a classic case of warped rotors, under 1 yr old & should be replaced..
Why can't firms just realize that if someone complains, there is a reason behind it.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess this is the downside of a specialized brake application since I assume you must now use Wilwood rotors in your application.

Are these slotted and drilled?

Anyway, I suppose you could have them turned down a shade if they are not cracked Have you visually inspected them?

What about the rears; could the vibration be comming from the back? I would check those two.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you 100% sure that they are warped and are not subject's of a thickness variation ??

About 95-98% of all supposed "warped" rotors are actually issues related to thickness variation. And considering the components you are using... I am about positive this is the case with your system.

Please take a minute to read the following: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#

After that... keep an open mind to what is most likely the root cause to your symptom. A "warped" rotor is a term that is porbably the most over used and least understood diagnosis, stated by the least educated in the specific subject of braking systems. I am not saying that you are stupid... I am just saying that you may not be properly educated in the vehicle system that you are having issues with.

You right... firms can not realize that when someone complains that there must be a reason for it... but you need to come to the table and have the ability to discuss it intelligently.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

FWIW,

I have NEVER known a manufacturer to stand behind "wear items" IE Brakes/Clutches etc etc...

Also, I know TByrne may have sold you the brakes, but all warranty items like you are describing to directly to the manufacturer. TByrne has no say in that at all.

Goodluck!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to check that the calipers are able to move freely,
this can soak up some degree of warpage (thickness variation will
make a real brake-fluid pulsation, warp will do it only by the caliper's
refusal to move or its inertia).
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

These are stock size replacements..
Drilled & slotted, 2 piece fronts, 1 piece rears..

Nothing special..

I am having an issue with a product within the warranty period, yet the seller & mfgr are not recognizing it nor doing anything about it..

Bottom line, if there was no problems, if the measurements were within spec,
I wouldn't be asking for an exchange...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

First off, there is a 1 yr warranty..

These are defective..
They did not become this way by "wear"..

There is hardly any at all...

I am having an issue with a product within the warranty period, yet the seller & mfgr are not recognizing it nor doing anything about it..

The measurements & pulsing issues are not normal for the time frame & mileage they have.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
...(thickness variation will
make a real brake-fluid pulsation, warp will do it only by the caliper's
refusal to move or its inertia).
Huh ??

Jimmy, are there some new drugs available in Florida that Im not aware of yet ?? TV and rotor warp have the same and show the same symptoms. If one wanted to isolate a component in the system it would either be... rotor, or caliper.

Remembering that the OE system is pad (pin) guided and not radially fixed... the caliper would show other signs than merely a pulsating pedal.

TV or rotor warp will make a caliper move across the pins... without adding any sticking/binding caliper issues. But specifically in the aspect of TV... as the pad wipes across the TV itself, the level of friction at that point is greatly increased and wants to slow the wheel down... inducing the pulsation. A rotor warp will transfer the pulsation more into the steering system than TV will.

Originally Posted by YO-EL

Ok... so who installed the brakes ?? Have they done anything to rectify your problems ?? Have they tried to use a more aggressive pad compound to allevate the possibility of TV ??

Oh wait a minute. It was you that did the install... right ??

Next, I would like you to describe the actual "brake in" that you used. And specifics are necessary, as I can tell you why both the supplier and manufacturer are turning a deaf ear to this.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Just want state that Nicole of TByrne had Dustin of Wilwood contact me about the rotors I am having a problem with..

He is willing to work with me on these, and that is all I needed to hear.

Thank you TByrne for trying AGAIN for your customer's satisfaction, and thank you Dustin at Wilwood for being flexible & open minded about this..

Concerning the above post, my GM tech did the installation of the rotors/pads, and they were properly bedded using Wildood's perscribed procedure..

Quick Reply: WARPED Wilwood rotors, Exchange issue ~IN RESOLUTION~